Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spock: half human or half empty?

Options
  • 16-04-2009 10:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭

In preparation for the launch of the new film---and the impending circus surrounding the different, more volatile Spock in this universe, I thought I'd share my thoughts on the character, and welcome any discussions/criticism in the process. Here goes...

1. Spock is half-human/half-Vulcan
    This in and of itself, is a problem. Remember that Vulcans weren't always the serene to a fault, near-robotic species that we're presented with in the shows and films. Originally the Vulcans were near-barbaric, until they learned to channel their emotions, then quench them to near nothingness. The breakaways, who renamed themselves Rihannsu (Romulans), embraced their inner fury and followed through with their plans for galactic expansion. They were near-Klingon in their ferocity.

So, Spock carries this sh!t in his veins. He also carries human DNA. That's a cocktail of disaster.

Added to this is his sense of isolation due to his half-caste origin. Vulcans hold much disdain for the lesser humans, and see the human in him as a dilution of their superior genetics. Humans feel awkward around Vulcans. I bet as a kid he felt VERY awkward around himself. That stuff stays with you. Recall the scene in STV where he watches his father cradling his baby-self and hissing, "So human" in disappointment. Ouch!

2. Spock shows emotions, more of them and more often than you know
    Pon Farr is an easy fall-back...all Vulcans betray their core impulses during their mating season. Spock's no different. But note other pivotal moments in the films.

In STI he chortles after having experienced something with V'Ger. He's grinning almost madly, like the human side has been released.

STII he shows pain, anguish and fear as he fixes the warp engines at the climax---Vulcans normally suppress even primal emotions as these but Spock is not like them.

STV he shows sadness as in the scene of his birth.

STVI he looks furious as the traitor onboard Enterprise reveals themselves. Not just furious. Betrayed. He yells "Arrest yourself!" at the Khitomer Conference at the climax, features sharpened in controlled anger.

Spock's not afraid to unleash his human side. In fact, as he ages, he stops fighting that side of him and instead frees it a little.

3. Spock's younger in this film
    Younger and less experienced in mastering human emotions. He is more impulsive as this is set somewhere before the Original Series, probably 2261 or thereabouts...which leads me to...

The Cage...Spock was a different character in that episode.Not so different as to be unrecognizable, but he was far more emotional than in the first rpoper series. I'm not sure if this pilot ep was canon. I know many scenes were re-integrated into The Menagerie. How or never, Spock's more hostile character no doubt springs from that first interpretation of Spock.

4. Altered universe, altered lives
    Nero's quantum shenanigans has put our entire map of Star Trek into disarray. Characters' timelines are as messed up as the timeline itself. The universe seems a far mor dangerous place (hence the Earthbound build of Enterprise rather than spacedock) and the Vulcan might have had a far more vicious life.

I haven't seen the film. I hope it rocks. I hope we're not disappointed. I'm open to a new interpretation, and I appreciate the writer/director idea to use the reboot as a plot point in and of itself. That way all that happened stays valid and real, but in the multiverse, is simply one thread, and now we're following a newer, darker thread. Along that thread we find characters, especially Spock, acting differently. It's exciting.

Advertisement