Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carpenter in Sligo

Options
  • 16-04-2009 10:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭

I'm looking for a carpenter to fix skirting boards to my house. Most of them are already cut to fit, some will need cutting & they'll need to have one of those power nail guns with the long skinny staple things for fixing to plasterboard.

Now, with the "R" thing that's hit us, I thought chippies would be dropping their prices. But after phoning around, it doesn't appear to be the case. Now, the house isn't mansion sized - about 140sq.ft, so a fairly average sized 4 bed, but the quotes I got were insane...

The first guy quoted me €10 per metre length of skirting. There would be about 120 metres of skirting, so that'd set me back €1200. He said he could do the work in a day. Now, for providing a day's labour & a few nails, that is pure extorsion. If he earns €1200 a day, that means if he works an average of 4 days a week, 40 weeks of the year, he's raking in €192,000 a year!!!!

But it gets worse. The second guy quoted me €10 per foot. Now, there's about 3 feet in a metre, so it'd cost me €3,600. He said it would take 2 days, therefor his earnings per year = €288,000.

The last guy was the cheapest, quoting me €1000 for the entire job. He said it would take him... wait for it - A WEEK !! A feckin week? His yearly earnings are fairly average, but by god, he's slow.

Anyhow, if anyone knows a carpenter who can do the job for me in a day (and there is seriously just about a days work in it) for under €250, please let me know.

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

bet you could rent a mitre saw for less and diy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭zonEEE

pm sent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

strongr wrote: »
    pm sent.

Cheers for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

Ya big wuss! Do it yourself, a hand saw and a bit of polyfilla. Pffftt...

Or, actually, I'll do it, at the very reasonable price of er... e1000.

they'll need to have one of those power nail guns with the long skinny staple things for fixing to plasterboard.

Or a hammer and a few nails. :P

• Advertisement

Xiney wrote: »
    bet you could rent a mitre saw for less and diy.

I've enough on my plate at the minute... the back garden's half dug & I've hit a large patch of bedrock that's gonna be a nightmare for drainage, 3 rooms still need painting, the outside of the house & all the bounary walls need power washing, the front garden needs to be dug & weeded, the fences at the back need sealing and the list goes on.

If I can get the skirtings out of the ensuite & onto the walls for a reasonable price, my life would be just that little bit easier. :D

On a similar note, the last time I was up in Dublin, I saw a company van with an advertisement for their services on the side - the company basically did everything house-wise, from tiling to painting and carpentry to plumbing. The company is called WifesList.ie ... class!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

bet your wife could rent a mitre saw for less and dih.

Ok so, you've other stuff going on. :eek:

When I moved into my house, I took the skirting off before I put the wooden floor down, it took me two years to get round to putting the skirting back on. :o

So perhaps your right..

Or a hammer and a few nails. :P

I tried the hammer & nails approach, but the plasterboard is pure sh*te... by the time you hammer in one end & get to the other, the skirting's come away from the wall. You'd need bucket loads of Polyfilla to fill those gaps!!

The long staple nails do the trick though - you can whack hundreds of 'em in along a long run, you can't see them & they hold like .... em, something that holds very well.

Ok so, you've other stuff going on. :eek:

When I moved into my house, I took the skirting off before I put the wooden floor down, it took me two years to get round to putting the skirting back on. :o

So perhaps your right..

Yep - plus it'll keep the missus sweet for a long time. And by a long time, that means at least 24 hours. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭MoonDancer

OMG thats a rip off!!

Yep - plus it'll keep the missus sweet for a long time. And by a long time, that means at least 24 hours. :D

I need to meet this woman.

I need to meet this woman.

Not a chance. Getting it in one ear at a time is quite enough for me. :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

Blimey that's a mad price.....glad to see rip of Ireland is still alive and kicking.

magnumlady wrote: »
    Blimey that's a mad price.....glad to see rip of Ireland is still alive and kicking.

Tell me about it. I shopped around a lot to find a tiler / plumber over the past few months & eventually got a tip on this forum for a very reasonably priced company - they quoted me €2,500 to fully tile (walls & floors) & plumb 3 bathrooms, fit a radiator & tile around the kitchen units.

Other quotes I got ranged from €4,500 to an incredible €6,000. I can't believe that with all the tradesmen out of work, that they are still charging boom-time prices, and I'm still baffled that it's so bloody hard to even find tradesmen to give you quotes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Jen&John

Hi, a friend of mine set me on your message.

Im a fully qualified carpenter (out of work). I would be interested in looking at the job for you for reasonable money.

Can you send me a contact number or something?

Cheers
    John

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭darealtulip

Jen&John wrote: »
    Hi, a friend of mine set me on your message.

Im a fully qualified carpenter (out of work). I would be interested in looking at the job for you for reasonable money.

Can you send me a contact number or something?

Cheers
    John

You can send him a private message with yours as well, just right click on the name.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭GG66

I've enough on my plate at the minute... the back garden's half dug & I've hit a large patch of bedrock that's gonna be a nightmare for drainage, 3 rooms still need painting, the outside of the house & all the bounary walls need power washing, the front garden needs to be dug & weeded, the fences at the back need sealing and the list goes on.

If I can get the skirtings out of the ensuite & onto the walls for a reasonable price, my life would be just that little bit easier. :D

On a similar note, the last time I was up in Dublin, I saw a company van with an advertisement for their services on the side - the company basically did everything house-wise, from tiling to painting and carpentry to plumbing. The company is called WifesList.ie ... class!

Do yourself a favour and do all of the inside stuff first, the garden can wait even if it doen't seem like it now .... if you haven't painted your skirting boards yet, paint them before you put them on and save yourself a lot of backache and bad language.

I went through the whole house build project and got some really good tradesmen on the job at reasonable rates. I have a friend in the trades and he recommended the best. If anyone wants numbers to highly recomended tilers, painter, sparky, chippy etc PM me ..

good luck with it

I agree GG66, I painted mine before fixing them, then just touched up here and there afterwards.

GG66 wrote: »
    Do yourself a favour and do all of the inside stuff first, the garden can wait even if it doen't seem like it now .... if you haven't painted your skirting boards yet, paint them before you put them on and save yourself a lot of backache and bad language.

I went through the whole house build project and got some really good tradesmen on the job at reasonable rates. I have a friend in the trades and he recommended the best. If anyone wants numbers to highly recomended tilers, painter, sparky, chippy etc PM me ..

good luck with it

They're already painted! As for the garden.. it really can't wait - the house is full of garden stuff coz the shed's not up yet & there's a heap of seedlings dying (literally!) to get bedded!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭slapbangwhallop

They're already painted! As for the garden.. it really can't wait - the house is full of garden stuff coz the shed's not up yet & there's a heap of seedlings dying (literally!) to get bedded!

If you havent asked anyone yet I can send you a PM with the number of a guy that hung some doors, fixed skirting boards (that I bodged) and fitted a new part to my kitchen.Let me know.

Advertisement