Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cave photography and the hunt for Ireland's oldest bones

• 16-04-2009 11:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 349 ✭✭

Folks,

Some of you might be aware of the project I have undertaken to photograph Antrim's most interesting and impressive sea caves. Some of these have never been photographed before while for others, the history has been long forgotten.

In my new 7th chapter I have attempted to link my photographs back to the dawn of man in Ireland using old archaeological reports from the 1930s. The story has uncovered mysterious bones that have the potential to be the oldest ever found in Ireland. If they can ever be refound.

Take a read and tell me what you think as a first draft.

7. The Caves of Prehistoric Man, Whitepark Bay
    http://www.andymcinroy.com/5port7.htm

5port38.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 349 ✭✭amcinroy

Here's a quick recap on the chapters to date
    All can be accessed through
    http://www.andymcinroy.com/5port.htm

1. The Ghost of Cathedral Cave
    ir324t.jpg

2. Portcoon Cave, The Causeway's Best Kept Secret
    ir281t.jpg

3. Mermaid's Cave, The Dark Depths of Dunluce
    ir283t.jpg

4. The Stalactite Cave of Larrybane
    ir315t.jpg

5. Into the Depths of The Grand Cave, Runkerry
    ir365t.jpg

6. The Caves of Rathlin Island and the Hunt for Bruce's cave
    ir397t.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Nice work

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Buzz Lightyear

As usual Andy, you've produced some wonderful work. Not only are your photographs stunning but have been brought to life through research and storytelling of inhabitants of a bygone era and 'modern cave dwellers' ;).

Your monochrome images convey wonderful tones and contrasts bringing out the detail of the cave floor and walls, yet leaving the highlights intact. A credit to your digital darkroom skills.

You have produced some wonderful shots throughout these chapters and they are a testiment to your eye as a photographer and nerve as an explorer.

Well done and keep up the great work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 349 ✭✭amcinroy

Thanks guys,

Buzz, thank you for those kind comments. I'm glad you got a chance to read some of the other chapters. I think the project is coming to an end now, although there are still one or two big caves that I'd like to try and photograph.

I am thinking of completing this project by taking a journey to Scotland to Fingal's cave to complete the story. It's not in Antrim of course but there are connections on many different levels for me (geology, history, mythology and the fact that i was born in scotland).

I'll keep you all posted.

Cheers

Advertisement