Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Abandoning 'duty to others'

• 16-04-2009 11:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭

Duty was a British idea. I'm not sure about other Europeans but guess they are similar. But the North-American culture favours the individual and self-promotion. This seems almost unhealthy to me. It seems to result in overbearing people, who don't listen and are self-absorbed, even when they feign consideration it's not real consideration. Doesn't this result in a deep deep spiritual decline? Do any other cultures value self-promotion? Do any other value duty? Why am I feeling awkward around others from different cultures. And to say, where are we heading with it? Are there others who feel uncomfortable about it?

The American aggressive self promotion is a potent tool and it's hard to see society keeping it's old ways under that influence. People find it harder to be gentlemen, and people increasingly don't put others first.

I've lived in the individualist climate where people have let go of their inner core, no-one listens to anyone.

The only thing it leads to is alienation.

Why did all those gangs and high school shooting and fame-seeking serial killers exist in the USA? Why do the 7/7 bmombers exist?
    Thye are the discarded remnants of the 'individualist dream'-societies where obsfucation and deceit goes on and people are not listened to and are tormented.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Its an interesting connundrum. I would think duty towards the spirit of a law or idea is a good thing, if and only if that law or idea isn't destructive, depending on the context. But I'm not in favour of duty for its own sake, or blindly following rules, which is what it can also encourage. So for example one should follow laws with regards to not stealing, resorting to violence etc because the principles on which they are based are sound , however the second a law is enacted which involves political oppression feel free to disregard it completely.

Its similar with individualism. Living in a collectivist culture can be fairly repressive. On the other hand a purely individualist culture is alienating. I do think society has become very individualistic to the point of being pathological in some cases. But on the other hand I wouldn't like to see it return to an oppressive heads down, never question the rules culture either. So a balance should be struck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭davej

You guys might find this documentary series by Adam Curtis interesting

Part 1 here:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=404227395387111085

davej

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement