Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What memory to choose?

Options
  • 16-04-2009 11:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭

Hi guys, I'm contemplating upgrading my ram on my pc which I use for music production. I've been searching the net and using various memory configs but I'm getting confused by all the options available. Basically I'm looking for good quality and reasonable price.
    My motherboard is an asus A8N-SLI premium,
    processor: athlon dual core 64x2 3800, 2.0GHz
    graphics: ATI radeon x700

At the moment I have 1GB ballistix ram (2x512MB) and I'm running XP SP2. I want to upgrade to at least 2GB or maybe more. So what would you guys recommend? And will I probably have to get rid of the old ram altogether? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

jiltloop wrote: »
    At the moment I have 1GB ballistix ram (2x512MB) and I'm running XP SP2. I want to upgrade to at least 2GB or maybe more. So what would you guys recommend? And will I probably have to get rid of the old ram altogether? Thanks in advance.

Any bog standard DDR 1 of the same speed as your 1gig of crucial ballistix should be fine.

Chances are you can mix ram kits and get away with it and keep your old ram.

However somtimes you can be a little unlucky and find that two different kits of RAM, even though they are rated at the same speed and are the correct DDR type do not mix well together.

So millage can vary and you won't really know until to fit the new ram in and see fi your pc boots.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭jiltloop

That's why I was thinking of just taking my old ram out altogether and getting some fast ram, a matched pair of 2X 1GB. I just get confused with DDR 2/ DDR 3 different MHz speeds and non-eec versus eec. So can anyone recommend a good matched pair for a good price that would be compatible with my motherboard?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

i'm pretty sure anything on this page would work in your pc.

http://www.komplett.ie/k/kl.aspx?mfr=&bn=11209&sortBy=p&zbo2=true&filter=A00061.K31463.A00056.K12156.

Here's the specs of your mobo so someone else should clarify that i'm right. I'm confused cause there was an option of "so dimm" ram and i'm not sure if the type i selected just "dimm" is correct.

http://uk.asus.com/products.aspx?modelmenu=2&model=539&l1=3&l2=15&l3=148&l4=0

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭jiltloop

Ok thanks effluo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

someone should clarify this however!

I'm not 100% sure

• Advertisement
Advertisement