Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to get rid of garden moss.

Options
  • 17-04-2009 12:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭

My folks have got themselves a ride on lawnmower to help reduce their gardening workload. I helped fit a mulcher attachment on the weekend and I took it for a test drive. It copes versy well with longish grass, but it appears that the moss causes the engine to come under some considerable strain (almost stalling).

What is the best way of getting ride of the moss. The total garden area is around 1/4 acre (not all moss, but in patches). Do I just apply some wonderful product I can get in the gardening shop, do I aerate the lawn, do I try rake it out ?. Any ideas gratefully appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

The fact that moss is getting into your mower in large quantities is an indication that you are cutting too short, this encourages,you've guessed it, moss.
    Get a lawn feed and moss killer containing ferrous sulphate and apply as per instructions, when the moss turns black rake it off with a springbok rake.
    That's the short term solution, long term you need to find out why the moss is growing. Cutting too close is one reason, it can also be dampness, shade, poor drainage, poor aeration or just poor soil.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭*Derek*

Apply sulphate of iron. Wait a few weeks then scarify it. then give it a lawn feed, job done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭Callow Man

Evergreen lawnfeed weed and mosskiller is very good and works within a matter of days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 chicomcchappy

Have to agree with above

Evergreen lawnfeed is good stuff

Advertisement