Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Listen - Christy Moore

Options
  • 17-04-2009 12:16am
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Christy has a new album out today. I've heard some of the tracks on the radio - they sound absolutely terrific. This recording really takes advantage of his great voice, something I think was lacking in his last studio album, 'Burning Times', in 2006.

I'm really looking forward to Duffy's Cut and Does This Train Stop on Merseyside? The latter being about the Hillsborough Disaster - which couldn't be more timely. We also have Christy doing Pink Floyd! Shine On You Crazy Diamond. Who would have thought it? And doing it some justice too - I prefer his version to the original (but then I'm not a Pink Floyd fan).

516oa%2B2dIcL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Tracklisting and discussion from Christy:
    'Listen' Press release

I will release a new album on April 17th 2009. "Listen" is on the Columbia label at Sony Music. I made this album with Declan Sinnott. We have been working together for the past 10 years. He also produced the album which was recorded by Tim Martin.

"Listen" features 13 tracks recorded over the last 2 years in Bandon, Co.Cork, Ringsend Dublin and Barrowland Glasgow.The other musicians are Neil Martin on Cello, Eleanor Healy on Bass,Martin Leahy on Percussion and Pat Crowley on Accordeon. Wally Page joins Declan and Eleanor on backing vocals.

The tracks are:

(1) Listen
    This song was written by Hank Wedell from Mallow Co.Cork. He wrote it in Sweden while playing in a mining town inside the Arctic Circle. Hank sings mainly on the Cork circuit but also travels overseas to perform. He plays solo and also with a number of different bands one of which, 'Small Town Talk', features Declan Sinnott, Eleanor Healy and Martin Leahy of this parish.

(2) Does This Train Stop on Merseyside
    Written by Ian Prowse who sings with the Liverpool band 'Amsterdam'....Out on the road I gather a lot of songs along the way. I get to hear other singers, catch the odd gig here and there.This song came from Andy Glover in Manchester who compiled a cd for us to play along the Motorway.As the van pulled away from The Bridgewater Hall he tapped the window and gave it in. A favourite song of John Peel, that man of songs.

(3) Shine on you Crazy Diamond
    Beautiful to sing, this tribute to Sid Barrett was written and recorded by fellow members of Pink Floyd. Always wanted to sing this song with Uileann Pipes but my dream goes unfulfilled.I liken the feel of this song to "The Yellow Bittern", a timeless classic from our own tradition

(4) The Ballad of Ruby Walsh
    I have followed the geegees since boyhood. When I saw Jimmy Eddery on The Curragh in 1955 my future was sealed (until weight got the better of me). Some time ago I was sweating on a treble in Ballybrit and Ruby did not let me down.The least I could do was sing a song for my fellow Lily White.It is based upon the old ballad which Luke Kelly made his own.

(5) China Waltz
    I heard Donagh Long sing his song in Toner's of Baggot St a few decades back.I tried to record it 15 years ago but it did not work out. The melody never left me. It came back strong last year as I watched a young practitioner of Falun Gong at the gates of the Chinese Embassy on Ailsbury Rd. Dublin. He was in quiet and peaceful meditation.

(6) Barrowland
    The old Dancehall is a bit run down(like myself) but remains a most wonderful venue. I first played there 30 years ago. Wally Page joined us in Barrowland, Glasgow when we decided to write a tribute to the old place. It has been home to all varieties of popular music for over a century.All that has gone before re-echoes to create a great old vibe. However, at the end of the day, the good listeners of Glasgow make Barrowland special when they climb the stairs to come listen and sing,to dance and boogie the night away.Join us if you can when we return there on Oct 24th 2009.

(7) Duffy's Cut
    written by Wally Page and Tony Boylan this song chronicles the mysterious deaths of 57 Irish navvies.Mainly from Derry, Sligo,Leitrim and Donegal they sailed from Derry to America in 1832. Arriving in Pennsylvania they were hired by Duffy to work upon the railways then being rolled out across the plains.Within 7 weeks their lives were over. At the time, Cholera was said to have caused their downfall but, for 180 years , other theories have been circulating as to how they met their end in Duffy's Cut near Malvern. Was it Cholera or Murder

(8 ) The Disappeared (Los Desaperacidos)
    Some people disappear and some people are disappeared....Wally wrote this song 10 years ago for Amnesty International. I heard it on his album "Live at The Hatch" and thought to give it an outing.

(9) Riding the High Stool
    I used to know a guy like this once.

(10) Gortatagort
    From John Spillane's last album. A song about his Mother's place near Bantry Co.Cork. None of us are too far removed from the land. When I first heard John sing this song it moved me deeply. It was like as if he was singing about my own Grandmother's home place.These West Cork fields had different names but the story was just the same down Barronstown Lane, by the Hill of Allen, in Co.Kildare....It is a great priviledge to have access to such wonderful songs.

(11) I Will
    Declan sings this song which he learned from Nollaig (Noel) Bridgeman when they played together in The Mary Black Band. This version came from Billy Fury who had a UK and Irish hit with it in the late 60's.

(12) John O Dreams
    I heard Bill Caddick sing this song when I guested at his Folk club in England back in 1969. I have recorded it before but never to my own satisfaction.I have sung this song upon many special occasions.

(13) Rory is Gone (to play the blues in heaven)
    Recorded in Barrowland, Glasgow last June this lyric was written by Nigel Rolfe. Thought to include it for I like the vibe of the night. The way the listeners soar with Declans solo and come back down for the final lyric. The last time I saw Rory Gallagher was backstage at the The Glasgow Fleadh.He was a gentle man until he plugged in that Old Fender Strat.He took off and brought us all with him.

I'd like to end by thanking all those writers whose songs I have been singing all my life. Passing time has left many of them anonymous but their songs still resound today.It is the ultimate test when a song long survives any memory of its author's name. "Green Grows The Lily O, Down among the bushes O"........ I have never been a prolific writer . To replenish my repertoire I have always depended upon songs from the tradition and upon the work of established and emerging young writers. Be it Zozimus or Dylan, Wally Page or Hank Wedell I have always preferred to sing good songs from other writers then lesser songs written by myself. All singers need songwriters and many songwriters need singers.Let the music keep our spirits high.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 653 ✭✭✭CSC

I heard him sing the Amsterdam cover on Friday night's Late Late show and it is fantastic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

First album I have bought in the last 2 years.

Duffys cut would probably be my fav from Christy on the album with Barrowland a close 2nd.

However I think Declan Sinnotts offering is brilliant. I heard it live in Sligo and couldnt wait to get it.

OT: I would love if Declan would bring out his own album, Corina Corina is number 1 on my play list by a long way

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

Slidey wrote: »
    First album I have bought in the last 2 years.

Duffys cut would probably be my fav from Christy on the album with Barrowland a close 2nd.

However I think Declan Sinnotts offering is brilliant. I heard it live in Sligo and couldnt wait to get it.

OT: I would love if Declan would bring out his own album, Corina Corina is number 1 on my play list by a long way

Yeah have to agree with Declan getting an album out. I have a feeling it will happen soon...

Despite how good the version on the album is, I think this live version is even better:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3SYamg2guU

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Whiskey Devil

As good an album as Listen is, it's not among my favourite CM albums. Standouts are definetely Does This Train Stop on Merseyside, Duffy's Cut and Gortatagort. He revisits a few old songs too - John O' Dreams is one of the finest songs I've ever heard, and nobody sings it quite like Christy Moore.

John Spillane is easily the best writer in the country at the moment. What a man!

Advertisement