Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

fighting diamond sharks

Options
  • 17-04-2009 12:25am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭

hi all

ok,,, i have a 120 ltr aquarium with 28 fish, 6 of which are sharks. i have two lovely diamond sharks which ive had for about 8 months. they are big and strong and insperable. i bought 4 new fish the other day and introduced them to the tank, 2 days later, 3 of them were dead, and one of my diamonds was on his last legs, floating upside down.

so i took him out, put him in a smaller bowl and nursed him back to life, then introduced him back to the tank. all was well for a few hours untill i realised the other diamond bullying him,. chasing him round the tank and hitting off him.

its a bit worrying, is it normal? does he sense a disease or weakness of the guy who was dying?

what can i do to stop this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Fishyfreak

By Diamond Shark do you mean "Tinfoil Barbs" ? Do a quick Google Image search and ley us know.

Tinfoil barbs grow huge, in fact I wouldn't even consider 6 of them in a 300ltr tank. They are very boisterous fish and I image they are getting cabin fever by being couped up in such small quarters.

Your tank isn't capable of sustaining these fish so I would recommend that you either do a significant upgrade or try rehoming them.

28 fish in a 120ltr may well be overstocked (depending what the fish are obviously). Can you give us some more detail of the tank, tankmates, filtration and we can hopefully point you in the right direction.

Also, the deaths of newly introduced fish is often a telltale sign of poor water quality in the tank. The existing fish have grown accustomed to high nitrates/nitrite/ammonia but new fish simply cannot cope and die. People often say "it's a bad batch of new fish" but it simply isn't the case. Do you test your water, if so what are the results.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Jimkel

A diamond shark isnt a tinfoil Barb Fishyfreak, although its an honest assumptionto make as they arent very common. Even though they have become freely available in the trade. they are another barb Hypsibarbus wetmorei AKA the lemon finned barb. Another big barb, 18 inches ultimate size I think.

To the OP, It could be mating or males fighting. I recommend googling Lemon finned barb for more info.

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Fishyfreak

Jimkel wrote: »
    A diamond shark isnt a tinfoil Barb Fishyfreak, although its an honest assumptionto make as they arent very common. Even though they have become freely available in the trade. they are another barb Hypsibarbus wetmorei AKA the lemon finned barb. Another big barb, 18 inches ultimate size I think.

To the OP, It could be mating or males fighting. I recommend googling Lemon finned barb for more info.

I guessed Tinfoils just because I've never seen Lemon Finned Barbs in the shops. Either way the tank is grossly overstocked.

Advertisement