Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What can i do to stimulate my hens ?

Options
  • 17-04-2009 12:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭

i have 2 backyard hens

what can i do to make their lives happier ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Wasn't sure if it was safe to open this thread with the title lmao.

What kind of set up do you have is their housing moveable?

Moving them around the grass giving them fresh areas to scratch and pick up insects keeps them happy. Also you could try putting like a small metal pole like a mini crook into the ground and hang fruit and vegetables from it.

Have seen some places do this with pheasants etc. and they love to use them hanging it a little high so they have to work at it a bit to get at it.
    They like to turn over stuff, saw something on tv a good while back where they had limited space and they used a bark mulch in the hen area so that the hens had somewhere to scratch around in and as this broke down they would just top it up.

Perhaps in the garden area random low perches could be placed so at times if they feel like it they can pop up on the perch rather than resting on the ground..not sure if this is something that is done in general.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭bigpinkelephant

We used to give ours lots of stalks, e.g. brocolli, cabbage etc, also pieces of turnip. They will peck away at them for hours :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭lg123

newstalk seemed to work wonders in that add :D

Advertisement