Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE's the model agent...

Options
  • 17-04-2009 2:07am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 861 ✭✭✭

I just read about it in the RTE mag today :\ to be honest I'm not impressed so far.

"12 girls, 6 weeks" this makes it sounds like that it's gonna be completely rushed, and looking at the picture of the wannabe models I can see straight off the bat that 6 of them are rosanna davidson/glenda gilson lookalikes and they don't do much past standing in a bikini :\

and the presenter for it, it's great that erin o'conner is doing it but who the hell is the blonde one with the elavator eyes and trout mouth ?!

What do ye think of the show...based on the print ads :) but i'm comparing this to america's next top model , and another point, why couldn't they have paid for the licence ?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Hopefully we'll see some tits and arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭steve 0

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

looks like a load of w@nk

and guess wat...
    its rte copying other shows that are popular, mutating it and changing it a bit, then telling us how brilliant it is...... pretty much like nitelive.
    their ideas office must be a beehive of brilliance

and dont you hate the way its being rammed down our throats around the country? bus stop ads.. buses themselves.. ads all the time.. other rte shows promoting it (TTV)
    the problem is they are trying too hard. it all seems so fake. its like they know they've made another piece of sh1t show and need to over compensate through advertising to make it appear important and good... just like nitelive.

next you'll have some clever ppl from RTE posting here telling us how super awesome it is.
    our money at work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

yeah but it means that they dont have to get proper guests for Tubridy Tonight. They are on with him tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Jazzy wrote: »
    looks like a load of w@nk

and guess wat...
    its rte copying other shows that are popular, mutating it and changing it a bit, then telling us how brilliant it is...... pretty much like nitelive.
    their ideas office must be a beehive of brilliance

and dont you hate the way its being rammed down our throats around the country? bus stop ads.. buses themselves.. ads all the time.. other rte shows promoting it (TTV)
    the problem is they are trying too hard. it all seems so fake. its like they know they've made another piece of sh1t show and need to over compensate through advertising to make it appear important and good... just like nitelive.

next you'll have some clever ppl from RTE posting here telling us how super awesome it is.
    our money at work

How ****ing negitaive. It will be a Reality series. I thought Hollywood Trails (same producers) was good, I think they could have gone with another series of that rather than doing a rehash of America's Next Top Model (Complete ****).

You know they have to promote their shows, why are you complaining about promotions? Guess what these shows are fake.

Typical Boards rant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

who is this ellis person we're supposed to have heard of?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭Frank3142

Male models were completely out of the question i see.

Elmo wrote: »
    How ****ing negitaive. It will be a Reality series. I thought Hollywood Trails (same producers) was good, I think they could have gone with another series of that rather than doing a rehash of America's Next Top Model (Complete ****).

You know they have to promote their shows, why are you complaining about promotions? Guess what these shows are fake.

Typical Boards rant.

i posted that when it was in the tv forum, not here

i posted that when it was in the tv forum, not here

The shpheal is the same old, same old. Regardless of where it was posted.

The shpheal is the same old, same old. Regardless of where it was posted.

ya see... it was my polite way of not wanting to go into depth on a reality tv forum, as going on here and saying "i hate reality tv" is retarded... but since u insist...

The program will be a sh1t load of w@nk. it will it will it double will. rte produce a lot of terrible programs and u can smell how terrible they are from a distance. i only need to look at the posters for the program to know exactly how terrible it will be. it will be over-important tripe constantly telling you that this is good programming without actually being decent. its quite common in all marketing, especially with shows of this type. rte are constantly copying british and american tv and repackaging it as not to pay for licensing rights.. or they think they can do better (nitelive).

fact is - this will be a horrible program. truly terrible.sure, some folks might like it.. but c'est la vie. this is a world where ppl willingly watch x-factor

and if u cant see wat im saying about having to over-advertise the show then i dunno. saturday nite isnt it? surely there must be some show where ppl judge other ppl on. give that a watch and try and get that niggling wish and want to judge ppl and therefore elevate yourself out of your system.

at least i think thats the point? :confused:

maybe its just good wholesome tv.........................................................................................................

• Advertisement

ya see... it was my polite way of not wanting to go into depth on a reality tv forum, as going on here and saying "i hate reality tv" is retarded... but since u insist...

The program will be a sh1t load of w@nk. it will it will it double will. rte produce a lot of terrible programs and u can smell how terrible they are from a distance. i only need to look at the posters for the program to know exactly how terrible it will be. it will be over-important tripe constantly telling you that this is good programming without actually being decent. its quite common in all marketing, especially with shows of this type. rte are constantly copying british and american tv and repackaging it as not to pay for licensing rights.. or they think they can do better (nitelive).

fact is - this will be a horrible program. truly terrible.sure, some folks might like it.. but c'est la vie. this is a world where ppl willingly watch x-factor

and if u cant see wat im saying about having to over-advertise the show then i dunno. saturday nite isnt it? surely there must be some show where ppl judge other ppl on. give that a watch and try and get that niggling wish and want to judge ppl and therefore elevate yourself out of your system.

at least i think thats the point? :confused:

maybe its just good wholesome tv.........................................................................................................

There is no problem criticising a production or productions but you seem like so many other to have such a low view of Irish programming and since the OP started with a quasi-criticism we are allowed continue.

As pointed out in another thread that I start ANTM comes from a british series produced by channel 4 in the early 2000s called "Model Behaviour" how did ANTM not infringe on "Model Behaviours" format?????

The shows producers did last year produce a series called "Hollywood Trial" which I enjoy, and I didn't see how it was like any other reality series. At least they weren't trying to winning some "big" prize, probably more reality than any of the current crop of reality TV serials.

RTÉ and all TV companies have to advertise their programming. It is good to have some amount of posters up about the show, its called maketing. Unlike the OH so British ad on Dublin Bus for BNTM starting on Living during the same week as "The Model Agent".

I don't really know why your bring up Nitelive nothing to do with the show what so ever. You seem to think that RTÉ should have bought the rights to something like "Brasseye" it makes less sence to rehash "Brasseye", I cannot see how a name would have improved Nitelive.

You seem to have a problem with RTÉ doing reality, IMO at least they aren't doing another "Celebrity Reality" series, I mean how many of them can you actually produce until it becomes dull and uninteresting, not many.

I think I will sit down and watch it, take it for what it is and possible realize that it isn't for me.

But what would the point be to tell people that I might hated it and it is only for X-factor viewers with an IQ of 10 who know no better than to believe the advertising.

to sum up, you dont get it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

I'm looking forward to this, but then again, I really like ANTM. The British version is always such a disappointment compared to the American one. Hopefully the girls will do actual fashion stuff instead of standing on Grafton Street in a bikini 'promoting' Paddy Powers and the like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

who is this ellis person we're supposed to have heard of?:confused:

no idea

I know that Erin O Connor is from the M&S ads

So this is Ireland's Next Top Model

• Closed Accounts Posts: 861 ✭✭✭KeyLimePie

Acacia wrote: »
    I'm looking forward to this, but then again, I really like ANTM. The British version is always such a disappointment compared to the American one. Hopefully the girls will do actual fashion stuff instead of standing on Grafton Street in a bikini 'promoting' Paddy Powers and the like.

thank you ! the only post on this thread about the actual show :)

and the ad's are horrendous, in antm and bntm the ads show the actual models who'll be in it, not some self absorbed model agent who should be behind the scenes and not the face.
    JP Liz wrote: »
    no idea

I know that Erin O Connor is from the M&S ads

So this is Ireland's Next Top Model

this isn't ireland's next top model, it's rte's rip off of ireland's next top model :) tv3 owns ireland's next top model apparently

to sum up, you dont get it

No to sum up Jazzy you are being critical about a "product" because you don't like the insistent advertising of the show, which IMO is a tiny bit cynical. You just don't get the need to advertise.

You just don't get the need to advertise.

yes. im thick see

yes. im thick see

I must be too! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Bubbles09

My younger sister is raging she hadn't heard about the auditions when they were being held - she's very good looking, really into her fashion, a lovely little waist & good height. I know that she would've made it on the show if she had auditioned but fair play to the girls who did make it - they are all stunners. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭naasface

Bit about Ellis

Fiona Ellis, used 2 be head scout at Select afaik. Shes years in the business. Not a Tyra Banks tv presenter like an actual professional model scout. The agency in the prize Independent Models is her agency. I assume she left Select to set up Independent and is using this a publicity for her new agency, Im impressed though. The models on the show look like actual models. Not the fake-tanned dolly birds u usually see.
    Looks interesting and credible.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭conorlechance

I'm hardly the demographic for this, but I watched it with my sisters there and thought it was decent enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭dossier

Just watched it there. How the fack did Rochelle get booted off? She was the best looking (conventionally) on it and nailed the challeneges.

The D4 heads going to win it now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 calamityjean

dossier wrote: »
    Just watched it there. How the fack did Rochelle get booted off? She was the best looking (conventionally) on it and nailed the challeneges.

The D4 heads going to win it now

I'm a friend of a friend of Rochelle's and they told me she was gone to New York on a family holiday when they were going to film in London, so she couldn't go through!(inside goss:D)...total scam me thinks:mad:, they didnt show her comments from the photographer or her full catwalk..
    oh and how convenient Amber happens to be shown in every shot,getting sick of seeing her, she seems really up her own arse.
    don't think it's fair how there are professionals there and then other girls who've never even worn heels, like saidbh, they got years more experience!!!she could have been a real contender if given the chance! i'm rooting for carrie-anne, she's the most down to earth, and the oldest, so i think she deserves her shot!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭Leprachaun

Wow they're terrible models. They're pretty much all good looking,but as models,they're ****. Watch britain or america's next top model,and the difference in standard between them and this model agent show is massive. They just stand there pouting at the camera.

Leprachaun wrote: »
    Wow they're terrible models. They're pretty much all good looking,but as models,they're ****. Watch britain or america's next top model,and the difference in standard between them and this model agent show is massive. They just stand there pouting at the camera.

ah now....don't think thats a very fair thing to say....three completely different countries and ultimately though it may seem they're quite the same, its obvious the shows are run and organised in a different way. Plus i guess the yanks and the brits are a hell of alot more driven, we're talking bout 16 and 17 year old girls here, taken from a shopping centre put in front of a camera and told ''ok be a model''....to me i think the whole point of the show is to watch these girls as they learn about the industry, not like antm or bntm, who thrive on cattiness and bitch fighting. I'm a fan of these shows and i do agree, the photo shoots are more exciting etc...however its easy to criticise when your comfortably sitting at home on your couch watching young teens taken out of there comfort zone.

ah now....don't think thats a very fair thing to say....three completely different countries and ultimately though it may seem they're quite the same, its obvious the shows are run and organised in a different way. Plus i guess the yanks and the brits are a hell of alot more driven, we're talking bout 16 and 17 year old girls here, taken from a shopping centre put in front of a camera and told ''ok be a model''....to me i think the whole point of the show is to watch these girls as they learn about the industry, not like antm or bntm, who thrive on cattiness and bitch fighting. I'm a fan of these shows and i do agree, the photo shoots are more exciting etc...however its easy to criticise when your comfortably sitting at home on your couch watching young teens taken out of there comfort zone.

Modelling is an extremely competitive business,of course they can't be in their comfort zone. Fair play to them for having the guts to do something like this on a national television program but to be honest, not one of them has the necessary talent to be a decent model. Like I said before,they are all good looking,but they don't seem to realise there's a lot more to being a model than that. Being attractive is a prequisite to being a model,not a free pass to stardom. Looking at them,I just don't see the soul,passion or extreme talent you see in Britain's/America's next top model. You can't really say it's very easy sitting at home etc.... I know I'd be a ****e model too,but I'm not the one on the tv show. I think it's a bit silly saying you can't critiscize something just because you aren't doing it yourself.

Modelling is an extremely competitive business,of course they can't be in their comfort zone. Fair play to them for having the guts to do something like this on a national television program but to be honest, not one of them has the necessary talent to be a decent model. Like I said before,they are all good looking,but they don't seem to realise there's a lot more to being a model than that. Being attractive is a prequisite to being a model,not a free pass to stardom. Looking at them,I just don't see the soul,passion or extreme talent you see in Britain's/America's next top model. You can't really say it's very easy sitting at home etc.... I know I'd be a ****e model too,but I'm not the one on the tv show. I think it's a bit silly saying you can't critiscize something just because you aren't doing it yourself.

i think thats a completely unfair statement to make personally ''not one of them has the necessary talent to be a decent model'' i could continue, and try to explain my point of view, but i believe everyone has a right to their own opinion, so i hope for their sakes come june when we see one of there faces on Image mag you eat your words...

I assume the Idea of the show is to give them a chance at modeling. By the end of the series they may improve, the mentor is their to improve their skills. Perhaps this is more realistic than the UK and US versions.

i think thats a completely unfair statement to make personally ''not one of them has the necessary talent to be a decent model'' i could continue, and try to explain my point of view, but i believe everyone has a right to their own opinion, so i hope for their sakes come june when we see one of there faces on Image mag you eat your words...

Well if we do see the winner on the cover of a magazine like that it'll most likely be for that exact reason (they won) and not because of any remarkable talent. One of them has to win the show and when they do,Ellis will make sure they're on a few covers,using her own company to shove the winner down the throats of magazines. However,after a few covers/shoots, everyone will realise that a model can't make it big by simply leaning on someone who has already made a name for themselves in the business.
    I assume the Idea of the show is to give them a chance at modeling. By the end of the series they may improve, the mentor is their to improve their skills. Perhaps this is more realistic than the UK and US versions.

I understand it's a different kind of show then ANTM/BNTM,and I do have respect for all the girls for going onto the show and risking humiliation but I still don't believe any of them have what it takes to be a professional model.Well perhaps that's a little unfair,I could seem them advertising products for irish stores/companies or doing car shows etc... but on the cover of Vogue? Not a chance. It's a takes a special something to be a real 'model' and I just don't believe these girls have it.

• Advertisement

I still don't believe any of them have what it takes to be a professional model.Well perhaps that's a little unfair,I could seem them advertising products for irish stores/companies or doing car shows etc... but on the cover of Vogue? Not a chance. It's a takes a special something to be a real 'model' and I just don't believe these girls have it.

Usual Irish chip on my shoulder. I suppose they could always go into advertising "Irish" products because "Irish" products are ****. (No offense to you but this is the usual type of things people say on boards.) I know your going to say that's not what you mean and that you didn't say Irish = ****.

I suppose Irish Products don't use professional/real models. I suppose Irish products aren't quality.

The prize for the show is a cover on Image (one of those stupid non-quality Irish magazines) and work in London under some Agency.

Advertisement