Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to do with daffodils?

Options
  • 17-04-2009 8:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭

Hello,

my daffs blooms are coimg to the end of their lives, and starting to go from yellow to brown.

What should I do to ensure that I get good blooms again next year?
    Do I cut all the stalks back, or just the flowering stalks?

Thanks,
    P.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Ding Dong

Just simply dead head them but let the stalks natuarlly go back into the ground. dont mow them. this is so the energy goes back into the bulb for next year. no need to make knots in the stalks either.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Forgive my lack of knowledge, but what does "deadhead" them mean? Cut them off?

Thanks for your reply!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Yes just cut off the dead flower head but leave everything else there because it feeds the bulb for next Spring.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭lucylu

Agree.
    Do not cut the leaves off. Pick of the dead flowers.
    If you really love them Feed them with a liquid fertilizer so they can replenish their bulbs for next year and then leave them be.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

You can fold them over and tie with string if they look a bit messy.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,486 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i've always hated that, tied back daffodils look awful. plus, it's not good for the plant.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭dh0661

lucylu wrote: »
    Feed them with a liquid fertilizer so they can replenish their bulbs for next year

Is there any particular liquid feed or will any general purpose liquid feed do ?

Advertisement