Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

how to protect files

• 17-04-2009 8:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭

hey gang
    hope yer all well.
    i want to distribute a couple of files among 10 ten ppl but i do not want anyone to be able to pass it onto to anyone else, nor do i want anyone to print anything.

so basically i want a way of distributing the files to the ten people without anyone else getting them passed on either as photocopies, or as soft copies!

any suggestions on how to do this wood be great

thanks very much,
    Ed

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,440 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

get pdfcreator from sourcefourge and print to it
    you can set stuff not allow printing and requiring passwords

If you give them a file they can copy it, even if windows prevents it , bootable linux CD's are very available

You would have to use some sort of DRM or have the file hosted on your site and accessible through your program that blocks screen captures. But that won't block captures if they run the app in virtual machine.

No matter what you do they could still take a photo of the screen with a digital camera.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭PaddyTheNth

Impossible unless you physically hand them a hard copy of whatever the document is (assuming it's a document/spreadsheet type thing from how you worded it), let them read it, and then take it back from them when they're finished.

If you send it as a password-protected file, they'll be able to forward it and tell the recipient the password. Even if you set up an installer and managed to tie the document to their machine, or hosted the file and provided them with single-use passwords I can't think of any way to prevent them taking screenshots.

Once they have a screenshot they can just print that image.

Even if you managed to hook into the keypress and remap the Print Screen key or monitor/regularly clear the clipboard there are dozens of third party apps which would work around this (any old screenshot program).

And if by chance you did come up with some way to prevent them reproducing/copying what is displayed on the screen, what is to prevent them whipping out a digital camera and taking a picture of it?

I'm afraid its pretty much impossible unless you're monitoring them while they look at it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,440 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

iworkforyou.jpg

even if you try to restrict physical access
    micro SD cards are 11mm x 15 mm x 1mm
    cameraphones can send pictures

Advertisement