Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€45 Java Course UCD

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

conolan wrote: »
    Would a 2 week Java course be useful?

Absolutely. Most commercial Java training courses are only a week long (if that). Obviously depends on the level of computer knowledge the trainee already has - if UCD have to help with the double-clicky it's unlikely to be of much use.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Looks like it is not for the newbies so the price is good.

It's an employers market at the moment though so just that won't get you that Java job unless it is some kind of internship.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

Yeah, anything that only lasts 2 weeks is only going to be a quick introduction. Even if it assuming you were an expert in the Java language itself, 2 weeks would barely scratch the surface of J2EE technologies like EJBs, Servlets, JMS, JSP, Spring, Hibernate, JavaScript, Struts, etc. You'ld be doing well to create a "Hello World" program in each of those in 2 weeks from scratch.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 586 ✭✭✭conolan

Firm clash of opinions from creeping and Pman. methinks creeper is a bit OTT on this one.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Yeah, anything that only lasts 2 weeks is only going to be a quick introduction. Even if it assuming you were an expert in the Java language itself, 2 weeks would barely scratch the surface of J2EE technologies like EJBs, Servlets, JMS, JSP, Spring, Hibernate, JavaScript, Struts, etc. You'ld be doing well to create a "Hello World" program in each of those in 2 weeks from scratch.

Sounds like it is just the core language principlesfrom what I have read, aiming for the SCJP (Even that is possibly ambitious for a 2 week course). Still even a two week course in UCD and a SCJP cert can't hurt the CV if you are out of work.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

conolan wrote: »
    Firm clash of opinions from creeping and Pman. methinks creeper is a bit OTT on this one.

I'm actually the pope and as such, infallible in these matters.

This is the URL for the course
    http://www.csi.ucd.ie/content/java-software-training-courses
    The training will enable non-Java programmers to become familiar and proficient with Java and help to prepare them for the Sun Certified Java Programming (SCJP) qualification.
    it is the intention that both courses would be taken to bring a developer or programmer from another programming language into Java

So it's focused on core language principles for people who already have a programming background. So two weeks should be enough to get the students to a point where they are reasonably familiar with the Java and in a position to study for the SCJP (a pointless exam, but that's a different story)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭nitrogen

One would be better off downloading the GWT, reading the documentation and coding away for a week. Not to mention the Java tutorials found via Google.

What is it with people wanting to be spoon-fed education through pointless mini-courses? If you're a techie and can't be your own teacher of new technologies and languages, you're in the wrong career!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

nitrogen wrote: »
    What is it with people wanting to be spoon-fed education through pointless mini-courses? If you're a techie and can't be your own teacher of new technologies and languages, you're in the wrong career!

I recommend reading up on metacognition. It is quite an interesting subject. Basically people learn differently. There are some who can read a book/follow a sample and understand it and how to apply it. There are others who cannot. You sometimes have to explain the same material in a different context.

A good example prehaps is my mother who when she first got a PC didn't understand it at all. Once I explained it in the context of real world items she picked it up much faster.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

Its much easier to learn programming if you have someone there to ask a question I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭TheBandit

One would be better off downloading the GWT, reading the documentation and coding away for a week. Not to mention the Java tutorials found via Google.

Its also not only about learning JAVA but also letting employers know you've learned JAVA. They do tend to like Certs. And beside you're gonna learn a lot more in a driven intensive course than sittin at home on the net.....okay down to study now...after one more episode of the wire:D

Oh fogot to add, fairplay to UCD for to helpin the unemployed retrain, tis nice to be nice

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭nitrogen

Hobbes wrote: »
    I recommend reading up on metacognition. It is quite an interesting subject. Basically people learn differently. There are some who can read a book/follow a sample and understand it and how to apply it. There are others who cannot. You sometimes have to explain the same material in a different context.

A good example prehaps is my mother who when she first got a PC didn't understand it at all. Once I explained it in the context of real world items she picked it up much faster.

Fair enough point, different people need different ways to understand a problem. However, it wouldn't be the wisest career move if a person like your mother worked in IT, and needed someone to constantly explain all the latest developments in computers for her to do her job. My point being a programmer won't get far in his/her career if they need a short course to learn a new skill.
    Anima wrote: »
    Its much easier to learn programming if you have someone there to ask a question I think.

The internet will answer almost any programming question.
    TheBandit wrote: »
    Its also not only about learning JAVA but also letting employers know you've learned JAVA. They do tend to like Certs.

You'll only fool a HR department or a job agency that you've learnt Java, which may get your CV in the door, but programmers (The interviewers, and future colleagues) want to see commercial experience and ability to learn quickly. They want the sort of person who has been developing applications, contributing to open source software and building mash-ups from Google's APIs in their spare time.

You won't learn programming by sitting in an 'intensive' course. Like any other skill, language, or trade, you'll only learn it by putting it into practice.
    TheBandit wrote: »
    And beside you're gonna learn a lot more in a driven intensive course than sittin at home on the net.....okay down to study now...after one more episode of the wire:D

If one lacks the passion or interest in a subject to pursue it by oneself and needs to be supervised while one's games are confiscated, then maybe that area of study isn't for that person.

Night classes or a short course might be a good way to meet new people, and you'll obviously learn at least something, but they're mostly money schemes aimed at people who have a mild interest in a certain topic. So to answer the OP's question, I think one's time and money could be used more productive by purchasing a book on amazon, visiting Google's code library, visiting your local library or watching tutorials on youtube.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭TheBandit

Fair enough point, different people need different ways to understand a problem. However, it wouldn't be the wisest career move if a person like your mother worked in IT, and needed someone to constantly explain all the latest developments in computers for her to do her job. My point being a programmer won't get far in his/her career if they need a short course to learn a new skill.

The internet will answer almost any programming question.

You'll only fool a HR department or a job agency that you've learnt Java, which may get your CV in the door, but programmers (The interviewers, and future colleagues) want to see commercial experience and ability to learn quickly. They want the sort of person who has been developing applications, contributing to open source software and building mash-ups from Google's APIs in their spare time.

You won't learn programming by sitting in an 'intensive' course. Like any other skill, language, or trade, you'll only learn it by putting it into practice.

If one lacks the passion or interest in a subject to pursue it by oneself and needs to be supervised while one's games are confiscated, then maybe that area of study isn't for that person.

Night classes or a short course might be a good way to meet new people, and you'll obviously learn at least something, but they're mostly money schemes aimed at people who have a mild interest in a certain topic. So to answer the OP's question, I think one's time and money could be used more productive by purchasing a book on amazon, visiting Google's code library, visiting your local library or watching tutorials on youtube.

Wow...you're some sort of super human. No procrastinating not even for the wire...jayzuz farplay, i'd say your great craic on a night out

Advertisement