Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Toilet training (kind of!)

Options
  • 17-04-2009 9:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭

I have a 1 1/2 year old rottie/ lab X, very placid. Have had him just over a year, got him when he was 4 months old from the DSPCA, he was perfectly toilet trained when he arrived, would only go outside on the lawn (we have a large patio area with a medium sized back garden).

Problem is, over the last year he has destroyed the back garden, rips up all the plants, urine burns the grass and if he sees cats on the fences he goes mad and jumps at them (he has gone through a few fences, he is about 8 st!).

GF decided she wants the garden back, we decided to put up a railing with a gate to partition the garden from the patio, so when we're not there (5-6 hrs a day mon - fri), he can only be on the patio, I even built him a toilet area out of bricks (boundary) and filled with sand. He doesn't seem to want to use it, I want to teach him to do his business there. He hasn't gone to the toilet in 24 hours. I don't want just to open the gate when I get home for him to use the lawn, otherwise he will just hold it until I open the gate and not bother using the toilet I built.

Or maybe there is no harm in him holding it till I get home and let him use the garden or when I take him down to the fields which is everday (I always pick up), before this He would usually go 2-3 times a day. has anyone any thoughts?

Advertisement