Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Have you ever had bad experiences with sales assistants in Brown Thomas/Clerys etc?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 502 ✭✭✭itsallaboutme!!

I have to say I often feel very intimidated when I walk through the make up section in bt2 in blanchardstown. I dont wear alot of makeup to begin with but always feel like im intruding on the conversation when I approach the staff there!
    my sister actually had to tell one MAC girl to back off in there one day.she had gone in to buy a specific item and was just browsing when one of the girls came over to her and asked was she ok she said she was fine just looking around and the girl launched into a script about the particular foundation they happened to be standing in front of.my sister listened pleased with the attention when all of a sudden the assistant started painting my sisters face with foundation!!:eek: my sis asked her to stop as she did not want anything on her face but this girl would not let up and kept coming at her with the brush!!!:eek:my sis ended up having to tell her to step back and ended up leaving without the item she went in to buy!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭smileyxx

I was actually in Bts yesterday with a friend, and at the Clinique stand there was a large jar of sweets with "Clinique" on them, and myself and my friend picked up one each as we were browsing the stand, and the sales assistant then gave us a very dirty look

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭becah

MAC in BT Grafton St can really be hit or miss, it totally depends on the person who deals with you on the day, however I love MAC make up and it'll be a while before I get abroad to restock, so I just have to put my chin up and try not to take any crap if I get a dodgy sales assistant! :)
    Also, my foundation, Face & Body, is only stocked in Ireland in Grafton St, so I've no choice!

The last time I was in, I asked a male make up artist for help in picking a new foundation. He was incredibly rude and condensending, my skin wasn't in great shape at the time, due to crazy exam stress, I had a little breakout of spots as well as dry patches...nightmare!!
    Anyway, I explained how my skin was in bad condition and was asking him if he could recommend a more suitable foundations, he kept staring at my skin in a really off putting way, looking at it like I was infected or something...and it wasn't even that bad!!
    Also, I was bringing back my 6 empty make up containers for recycling, as part of the programme where you get the free lipstick, I really got the impression that he thought I was a right ole scab for bringing them back!

But on the other hand, I've had really good experiences there when I've gotten my make up for an event on 2 occasions, both times the girls were so nice, put me at ease the first time as it was for my debs and I was in a bit of a panic, as a few last minute things had gone wrong etc.
    I felt they did a great job, I didn;t want a drag queen orange look, I'm really pale so I asked for a 1950's Dita von These look and that's what they delivered! You just have to give them a really clear idea of what you want, and you'll hopefully get it!

I'll end this really long post on a more positive note!I was in BT's (grafton st) on Friday to find a belated mothers day gift for my mum, and a bday gift for my dad. I went to the Tom Ford perfume counter, as I knew my mum had tried on a perfume there before and she really liked it.

I dealt with a youngish girl called Sophie and she was unbelievably helpful, even though it was busy. I gave my really random description of the perfume my mum liked and she was able to match it for me, she also gave me help with my Dad's and helped me choose a really nice scent that he loved! Both gifts were wrapped beautifully in gold paper with black ribbon and put in a really nice bag with velvet handles, they looked a million dollars. Also she gave me a few large-sized samples of the new perfume for myself, so I was delighted.

It just goes to show that you really can't generalise the staff in BT's, for every bad experience, I've had a really great experience!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Larianne wrote: »

so if you go into BT's on a Saturday expecting a great experience don't. The shop can be bedlam.

I work in a shop and this drives me mad! If you want proper attention don't come in at ten minutes to closing or Saturday afternoon!

I think I've been quite lucky with the folks at MAC. I've never had a bad experience and come out with two lovely make-up applications. They did wonders for my eyebrows, introducing me to a nice pencil.

I ran into one of the "traffic stopping" Benefit in House of Frasier last week. I just said no thanks, smiled and kept going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Prisoner6409

Barring the Sales anyone that passes the doors of BT's deserves all they get(or don't when it comes to value). If there is one Icon of rip-off-ireland it's BT's and has always been so. Yes the girls are snooty because they are trained in that fashion imo. They are led to believe they are somewhat more than a sales assistance and consequently act like it. Hopefully in these lean times when even the wealthy are feeling the pinch and BT's may have to rely on mere mortals for their revenue they might change their attittude but I would'nt hold my breath.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,217 ✭✭✭pookie82

I totally agree on the point about the MAC girls in BT looking like the LAST thing they want to do is help you out or go near you. I went in once on a Tuesday afternoon and they were all "busy" i.e touching their hideously overpainted faces up in mirrors and stacking their displays. I had to grapple for attention to find someone who (unwillingly) came over. I had my old foundation in my hand and asked her to get me another. She glanced at it, turned on her heel, marched over to a drawer, pulled it out and handed it to me without even glancing at me, before marching off. Not one word out of her mouth for the entire duration. Mind blowing service.

You'd swear they were in some highly stressful job where little entities like "customers" were a real nuisance. The way they self importantly march around with pouts and horrific polka dot red cheeks, looking as if they're incredibly busy putting the world to rights, even though they're really just trying to find pink eyeshadow for someone, is truly baffling.

I then went over to the Clinique counter where I got a saleswoman who didn't want to let go of me. Although, again, I had an old jar of what I wanted in my hand and knew exactly what I needed, she tried to get me to reconsider my shades, affecting a worried glance at my face as she asked, trying to intimate that I looked hideous and needed a thousand new products to fix my appearance. I was informed of about fifty different new products which I had no interest in and were totally unrelated to the one I was getting, and although I repeatedly told here that that's all I was getting today, she insisted on asking me to try new powders and potions until I had to be quite forceful in asking to pay. She was so deflated and pissed off that I wasn't going to buy half the counter that she half heartedly took my card, did the transaction, and was about to walk off wihtout even giving me what I HAD bought.

I can't decide which was worse. Whatever happened to friendly, un-pushy service with a smile? I understand that they have a job to do - sell make up - but if someone clearly has no interest and is in a hurry, they should take the hint and appreaciate the sale they already have. Unbelievable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Orlee

PrivateEye wrote: »
    for some reason the likes of BT will always employ South Dublin Princesses with image in mind, normally it actually puts customers off.

Couldn't agree more!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭smileysurfer

Laura Mercier counter in BTs in Cork, they might as well tell you to fcuk off. Sorry I'm not some rich old lady girls. :rolleyes:

Same goes for the Benefit counter in Cork.I went in there a few weeks ago to get my faceup done for my birthday and ended up getting it re-done somewhere else! The staff were extremly rude and seemed to look down on everyone!! :eek:

me : ''il have smokey eyes so please, blacks and browns, nice and glittery''
    wagon behind the counter: right Il do purple so, my favourite colour!
    She didnt even take off my own make up, just applied her brown gunk over it!! Put on no eye liner or mascara on me either!

Left the counter looking like a drag queen and all the glittery purple stuff flaked off my eyes and onto my cheeks once i started walking!

I then went into Make Up Forever on Wintrops street where the staff couldnt believe the way I was treated and the state she left my face in! She took off all the blotchy ORANGE Benefit make up and did my whole face again for free in the actual colours I wanted and refused money, only let me pay for the false eyelashes I got! I left a €20 anyway because she did such a good job!
    I honestly have never had a great experience getting make up dont in BTS in Cork, went to Dior before and had to take it all off when I got home and start again myself, and Im not really fussy when it comes to make up , i just like to look pretty instead of a hooker/orange drag queen!! Dont know how they get away with it in there tho! really I dont!!

ok....... rant over!! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭jellie

me : ''il have smokey eyes so please, blacks and browns, nice and glittery''
    wagon behind the counter: right Il do purple so, my favourite colour!
    She didnt even take off my own make up, just applied her brown gunk over it!! Put on no eye liner or mascara on me either!

Left the counter looking like a drag queen and all the glittery purple stuff flaked off my eyes and onto my cheeks once i started walking!

why didnt you complain? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭smileysurfer

sar84 wrote: »
    why didnt you complain? :confused:

Ooops I left that part out!afterwards i went back and complained, they tutted and huffed for awhile and told me that the make up artist that did my make up is ''very good'' and refused to give a refund on the product i bought there so I asked to speak to a manager, after waiting for half an hour for the manager to turn up, she barely acknowledged me and said to the girl on the till to refund me. that was pretty much it. I was going to ring again the next day but didnt bother in the end, dont think they would have done anything anyway. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

Why do people keep going back to Brown Thomas? Do they get some masochistic thrill out of it?

Personally, I've found the staff pretty helpful there. I can't speak for the make-up people though. The sunglasses crowd are usually pretty helpful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,217 ✭✭✭pookie82

Aard wrote: »
    Why do people keep going back to Brown Thomas? Do they get some masochistic thrill out of it?

Personally, I've found the staff pretty helpful there. I can't speak for the make-up people though. The sunglasses crowd are usually pretty helpful.

For me it's the most convenient place to get Mac products. I don't have a credit card so buying online is always a pain (borrowing someone elses etc) and I work a couple of streets away so I usually just grin and brave it every few months. Try to get it all over with in one swift session.

I can get Clinique in Boots so would never go in unless it was to buy a product that's impossible to get anywhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭shezza

My sister came across a really rude girl in BT's mac counter in Galway she wanted a new foundation and the girl said she had to come back in when she didn't have makeup on!!! what a lazy cow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Well in a lot of ways she's right. It's harder to match a foundation properly when you can't see the actual skin underneath. If she came in wearing the wrong colour the girl might have trouble matching.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭pandamoanium

Yeah, but jeez couldn't she have just taken the minute or two it would take to have wiped it off with one of MACs cleansing wipes, or evenly properly remove it for her with their cleansing oils?

I mean that's what the tester products are there for, to be tried out and used.

And whos maybe the girl would have been really impressed with the cleanser/wipes etc... and may have decided to buy them along with the foundation she needed.

Talk about a missed opportunity to make a sale!

I swear, sometimes it seems that the Sales Assistants couldn't actually be bothered selling anything. Do some of them not work off commission or have to reach sales targets?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭idontknowmyname

I started really getting into make-up when I was 19 and booked myself a make over with Mac BT's Dublin as a result. Some guy did my face and I looked tangoed by the end of it! I'm pale and used to use NC15 but then it became hard to get so I switched to a few other brands.
    Last year I was in the same BT's again and went over to the Bobbi Brown Counter, it was on a bank holiday monday so busy but not crazy. Explained to a foreign girl working there what I wanted and she tried a few shades on me, advised me to go up a shade as opposed to down a shade as it would warm up my complexion- I've never had so many compliments about my foundation so buy from them now.

The girls in Mac look like awful drag queens, why would anyone wanna look like them!! I got traffic stopped by Benefit in San Diego before- it was awful, I've got pale eyebrows and she made them really dark, hated the look and told her that, over done make-up drives me crazy, prefer a more polished, natural look.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I don't understand the Benefit traffic stopping thing. Surely if you don't want make up put on your face you say 'no thank you' and move on. Do they physically tie you to the chair? Because that's the only way they'd stop me if I didn't want to be stopped. I've never experienced it because I avoid the make up section of Brown Thomas in Cork because it's very badly laid out and also the people in Benefit in Debenhams never seem to get off their chairs.

I've experienced bad customer service in Brown Thomas, but I've also experienced great customer service there. As mentioned, the sunglasses people are great, as are those on the Lancome counter in Cork. I steer well clear of Mac though. Rudest bunch of people I've ever come across. Some of them are probably nice but the rude ones pushed me away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

my god i'll never be going to Mac after reading this thread!!but i got my make up done in Stila(when it still existed:() in BTs for my 21st last year. a mate of mine worked there and did the most fabulous job ever for me!was terrified i'd look like a drag queen(she's a fan of dramatic make up herself) but was delighted with the result!and it stayed put all night with no touch ups! i wish they were still in BTs,they would have gotten loads more business out of me:(

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭shezza

Yeah, but jeez couldn't she have just taken the minute or two it would take to have wiped it off with one of MACs cleansing wipes, or evenly properly remove it for her with their cleansing oils?
    Exactly what I meant if I want a new foundation the makeup lady cleanses my face and tries a few different shades. She was just lazy and couldn't be arsed. Like in fairness how many women go out with a bare makeupless face shopping? Not many I'm sure!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭LivingDeadGirl

shezza wrote: »
    Exactly what I meant if I want a new foundation the makeup lady cleanses my face and tries a few different shades. She was just lazy and couldn't be arsed. Like in fairness how many women go out with a bare makeupless face shopping? Not many I'm sure!!

I don't wear foundation if I'm going foundation shopping, it seems a bit silly to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

And whos maybe the girl would have been really impressed with the cleanser/wipes etc... and may have decided to buy them along with the foundation she needed.

That's how I ended up with my Clinique cleanser.. went in there to get foundation and she had a go on me with the cleanser first, I'm such a soft touch for salespeople :o I do love the cleanser though (in as much as one can love a cleanser) so everyone was a winner there. I wasn't even wearing makeup at the time (only wear it for going out, never during the day) but it's no harm to start with squeaky clean skin anyway.

I don't go into BTs a whole lot but I've only ever had good experiences there.. I go to Clinique and Chanel in Galway and Jo Malone in Cork every now and then and they're always friendly and helpful. I'm a fairly scruffy dresser too FWIW.

I've probably jinxed myself now and will get some total wagon next time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭pandamoanium

Whilst I agree with LivingDeadGirl that if you're specifically on the hunt for foundation you should probably go eau natural, however I know what I'm like when I'm shopping, I hardly ever go with the intention of getting something specifically, I'm a total impulse shopper hence me having 12+ foundations (Which is a shame as I know they're all going to go off before I get the flippin' chance to use them!)

So if I'm out and I do happen to have foundation on I think it's extremely lazy if the SA can't even be bothered to remove it especially if they think they're going to make a sale at the end.

Like rain on I know I've ended up buying stuff like cleansers and cleansing oils which I wouldn't have had a notion of buying til the SA tried it on me and I ended up really liking it.

Even if your not wearing any make-up it wouldn't hurt for them to give you a quick cleanse and moisturise beforehand either so the foundation doesn't go on cakey or flakey etc...

Re: BeneFit's Traffic Stopping - god this reminds me of when I was in Debenhems in Tralee once. It was fairly quiet and a lady from Clinique asked me if she could try out their new Spring Collection on me, I wasn't in any rush so I was like, "yeah, sure go for it, why not!" anyways once she was finished with me and I bought a few bits and bobs from there I went off looking at the Urban Decay stand where I was filling my basket like a woman possessed when I get this tap on my shoulder; "oooh who's that tapping me, I hope it's not the security guard thinking I've been light fingered with the products since i've been ages pawing at all the Urban Decay goodies"

I turn around and it's a girl from the BeneFit counter - from like the other side of the shop - "Hi, would you like to have a makeover done?"

Me: "Oh thanks, but I've actually just had one over there with Clinique and I'm just about to bring these bits *points to ridiculously filled basket full of Urban Decay stuff* to the till"

Her: "Oh that's ok, just leave them there, you can come back and collect them later, come with me"

So she proceeds to slap on some primer and that Some Kinda Gorgeous foundation on me whilst slagging off the Clinque ladys handiwork.

Finally she finishes and boy does she go in for the hard sale - in the end I had to buy a lipstick just to get her off my back!

I don't really rate BeneFits stuff tbh, yeah cute packaging and they do have some good products (they're far and few between though!) but on the whole I think it's really over-rated and they're foundations are dire - Hello, You Rebel anyone? Ick.. They're all orange!

Btw, do you ever notice that any day you'd love to get made over say you're feeling a bit ick or you've got loadsa time on your hands, you never get stopped.

Yet when you're in a rush or already have a perfectly applied face done they're clamouring over ya to slap their orange pansticks all over ya?! :P

I've never been stopped for anything, if anything I reckon they think I'll rob something because I'm young(18) :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭Vinta81

I've always found them extrmemely helpful, although I do concur that the MAC girls (in Cork anyways) don't have a bloody clue about matching shades, never been matched the right shade. I find MAC is very yellow based anyways. I'm going to give Bobbi Brown a go now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Its funny reading through all this, I mean its not funny to have bad service or to be made feel like crap in a shop (which is one way to make you buy things I guess) but the difference has to be noticable between guy and girl shoppers. I'm a guy and have often bought MAC make up for my wife from the BT Grafton St store, and they've generally been helpful. I recognise that they are shop workers, and they have a certain attitude but I tend to ignore it and ask in simple terms what I want, based on what I know my wife likes. And they generally tend to me rather well.

I guess its different when a guy comes up to the counter, I suppose they want to impress them, whereas a girl would be more prone to a disapproving eye and an attitude. I've always been nice to shop workers for the most part, I used to work in a toy shop so know all about what Saturday afternoons are like, but I've never experienced any sass and TBH I wouldn't take any either!

Any other guys have experience buying make up for their other halves?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭CorkLady1983

blonde girl with ponytail on the Giorgia armani make-upcounter in Dublin. Rudest girl I ever came across.. needs to remember that the customer is paying HER wages!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

MAC lady in Manchester Airport was the nicest MAC employee I ever dealt with, seconded by the blonde girl in Harrods. I've tried to buy things from MAC on Grafton St. and been so pointedly ignored that I wandered off. No skin off my nose! I'd rather wait until I'm in England again and deal with someone pleasant when it comes to MAC. I'm not that fussed anyway, I tend to buy different things from different counters.

My attitude is simple enough - you don't want my money, then fine, I won't give it to you. I'll go somewhere else and buy from them instead. Everyone's happy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Its funny reading through all this, I mean its not funny to have bad service or to be made feel like crap in a shop (which is one way to make you buy things I guess) but the difference has to be noticable between guy and girl shoppers. I'm a guy and have often bought MAC make up for my wife from the BT Grafton St store, and they've generally been helpful. I recognise that they are shop workers, and they have a certain attitude but I tend to ignore it and ask in simple terms what I want, based on what I know my wife likes. And they generally tend to me rather well.

I guess its different when a guy comes up to the counter, I suppose they want to impress them, whereas a girl would be more prone to a disapproving eye and an attitude. I've always been nice to shop workers for the most part, I used to work in a toy shop so know all about what Saturday afternoons are like, but I've never experienced any sass and TBH I wouldn't take any either!

Any other guys have experience buying make up for their other halves?

That's because they know you're in there to buy! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭suzieb

I've been using Mac's studio fix fluid for past 2 years or so and love it-its only foundation I love on my skin,nice and dewy looking if i put it on with fingertips or when use the brush for going out looks a lot more flawless.

Anyway I've only gone in to Mac in BT's twice to get my make up done and was lucky cos the girl that done my make up,(tammy-remember her as she was so helpful and got it spot on) spent ages with me picking the right shade and coverage for my skin.

But its one shop I've always hated going into. Like everyone else find the girls in there really snotty and stuck up and find they turn their nose up at anyone that doesnt speak with a dort line voice and dresses in real uggs.

So now my brill boyfriend gets it for me whenever hes in town and saves me the hassle of feeling like shi* and he gets to see how little make up I actually wear compared to mac girls!!

Girls in airport arent much better but I couldnt care less when am there cos i know i'm heading off somewhere nice :p

Is there anything off the cosmetics in that BTs 20% off sale? Or is that still even on? I never get into town anymore, stupid leaving cert. :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Rayne

Nothing off cosmetics I'm afraid!

20% is finished Monday!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 ShineadyRyan

I work in BT Galway and I must say it is all about how you approach the SA. I know myself if someone approaches me and acts in a bitchy manner I instantly turn off. I help them to the best of my ability( I'm not a complete bitch) but I end up not caring if they buy the product or not. I work on commission so every sale helps, but I would rather sell to someone who is friendly and appreciates my help with even just a friendly smile.:D
    Some customers can be so impatient and attention seeking. I once was on my own while my manager went on a break. I brought up some shoes for a lady and I was approached by another lady for a size. I left the first lady for not even a minute, but when I returned from the stockroom a girl from handbags informed me the lady had left and complained that I had went and served another customer. If I didn't serve the second lady quickly - SHE would have complained. We can never win?!:confused::confused:

Girls on the make-up counters are lovely!!Sometimes they have bad days and even we get the brunt of their moods!! But you'll get bad service everywhere, I guess it's just highlighted in BT'S because the '5 star service' is expected! But nothing compares to the service in the U.S. I was in a MAC store in Boston, approached instantly and helped. We Irish need to work on our skills on approaching customers. It just isn't in our nature. Typical.:rolleyes:

Sorry....Rant over!!:)

We Irish need to work on our skills on approaching customers. It just isn't in our nature. Typical.:rolleyes:

I don't think its you approaching customers, I think its the customer being approached.
    Irish people HATE being approached or asked if they are ok/need help.

And if you don't approach someone, your going to miss your mystery shopper or someone who does want help.

We can never win.
    :(

And if you don't approach someone, your going to miss your mystery shopper or someone who does want help.

We can never win.
    :(

You're so right. I don't like to crowd a customer but I don't want to ignore them either!!!:mad::mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

I wouldn't agree with that. Most people appreciate an offer of help - just not when they've literally just entered the shop, it's so irritating! Let customers browse for a few minutes before approaching them to ask if they need any help.

Fair enough, I agree with that but my manager insists that I greet every customer as he/she comes up the stairs!

I've had a few experiences though where customers hate it full stop.
    One snapped "I'm fine, we're all fine, everyone is fine, we don't need your help" :(

I might be biased, working in BT's but have worked in Penney's and I find their customer service worse. Maybe its becuase of the prices and the 5 star customer service that BT's is supposed to offer that people expect top notch, but ask someone in Penney's for something in stock room, they go as far as the door, sit down and come back out "no, I'm afraid we're out of that top...."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 996 ✭✭✭bnagrrl

The women at the Benefit and Shiseido counters in Clerys, Dublin are great. Clinique I've found can be hit or miss depending where you go.
    I've always found the girls at the MAC counter to be unhelpful - whether just ignoring you or trying to force products on you that you don't want or don't suit you. Except at Dublin Airport, they're pretty good there in my experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 chinapples

I asked in BTs in Limerick if they had any size 10/12 of a particular kind of jeans - she told me they were all out of the 'large sizes'!! Feeling really fat I went off and actually found them on another shelf in a 10!! I bought them cos i loved them but emailed the manager after who called me and apologised but added that technically a 10 is a 'larger size' in that brand..:rolleyes:
    Having worked in bts for almost 2years while in college, I agree with everyones posts.
    I had my selection of friends who i stil hang out with, but my oh my were there many an explosive moment
    The situation with the jeans is a joke..I worked for concession and I would see the bt girls trying to squeeze women in to reali tight ill-fitting jeans that were "guaranteed" to stretch..it is a farce of a store.
    It is a store after all..that sells clothes a little more expensive, has glorified shop assistants that believe(whole-heartedly) they own the place and are the next Ms.World!
    All I can say is,brown thomas is a pretentious money grabbing Drag queen hiring farce of a business.....AND i am so DELIGHTED i got out when i did....

I was asked by a manager who had nothing to do with me or my concession to wear "more" make-up...I replied, I sell clothes because I am good at selling and I believe in my product..I do not sell make-up and people approach me because I am one of the normal girls in this building!

didnt go down well......................

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 chinapples

I work in BT Galway and I must say it is all about how you approach the SA. I know myself if someone approaches me and acts in a bitchy manner I instantly turn off. I help them to the best of my ability( I'm not a complete bitch) but I end up not caring if they buy the product or not. I work on commission so every sale helps, but I would rather sell to someone who is friendly and appreciates my help with even just a friendly smile.:D
    Some customers can be so impatient and attention seeking. I once was on my own while my manager went on a break. I brought up some shoes for a lady and I was approached by another lady for a size. I left the first lady for not even a minute, but when I returned from the stockroom a girl from handbags informed me the lady had left and complained that I had went and served another customer. If I didn't serve the second lady quickly - SHE would have complained. We can never win?!:confused::confused:

Girls on the make-up counters are lovely!!Sometimes they have bad days and even we get the brunt of their moods!! But you'll get bad service everywhere, I guess it's just highlighted in BT'S because the '5 star service' is expected! But nothing compares to the service in the U.S. I was in a MAC store in Boston, approached instantly and helped. We Irish need to work on our skills on approaching customers. It just isn't in our nature. Typical.:rolleyes:

Sorry....Rant over!!:)

Completely agree in that respect...but that is what brown thomas is like...say it in the american way..."its all about multi-tasking"...you are expected to be super beautiful,fast on ur 6inch heels and helpful to customers...
    you work in shoes your boss is lovely...
    but just be very careful who you have your back to in brown thomas...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭blahblahblah.

I work in BT Dublin. I have to say i find the mac people to be the most up themselfs and intimidating. if u dont have make up on in the locker rooms they stare at u!!! i have to say i do feel out off place a lot:(. im still in school where as people around my age would be eather in collage or working full time. comeing to work after school is a killer never have make up on and i look terabel. i hate looking like that. comepared to other jobs that i had, it wasnt a problem. or being a rocker. but it seams that if I dont have make-up on i feel naked.

I went in to mac a while back and i was looking at the eye shadows, i think there amazing. i maid it really obvioius that i wanted help and nothing:o. they just looked me up and down:(. it seams that they are looking for particural customars and that they dont realiz that u could be realy into fashion and where the good old jeans and top.

I have to say i do find some off the customers very difucut. I work in an older section and they do not seam to want my help even though i have been there for a bit, but on the other hand others dont mind.It does actualy make feel that im terabel at my job even though people have said that im not. I try to be as helpfull as i can and go out off my way when dealing wiht cutomers.

We are told to ask if every one is ok and so on. I feel there two sides to this, some people are just in looking around and just dont want help and otheres do. some times when someone they get all snapy so you stop asking if other customers are ok. other times when the customer says there fine they do realiz they do have a question and some people could just be shy when aproching some one they dont know.

Like anywhere there are alot off difrent people. BT employs people form every where. you will finde the b!tches and then the geuninaly nice people who just want to help you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭patnor1011

I dont know... Why not to pose like mystery shopper... Ask some odd questions, have little notebook and while standing near counter watch them, smile on them, scribble down something like your shopping list for dunnes or something like that and watch them how they serve another customers... When they will start noticing you they will kill themselvs just to please you as mystery shopper is the only thing they are afraid of...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭blahblahblah.

theres one every month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

patnor1011 wrote: »
    I dont know... Why not to pose like mystery shopper... Ask some odd questions, have little notebook and while standing near counter watch them, smile on them, scribble down something like your shopping list for dunnes or something like that and watch them how they serve another customers... When they will start noticing you they will kill themselvs just to please you as mystery shopper is the only thing they are afraid of...

I've yet to work somewhere where the mystery shoppers act like that... they wouldn't be very good mystery shoppers if that's how they acted!

chinapples wrote: »
    you work in shoes your boss is lovely...
    but just be very careful who you have your back to in brown thomas...

Yep in shoes...we don't really see ourselves in a glorified sense!!:) It's just a job( a nice one at that!!:)) But i know what you mean, Ive been warned, BT's is a dangerous place...all those females, it's bound to get nasty!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 malibustacey

eth0_ wrote: »
    The people in MAC in BT's aren't all trained makeup artists, believe it or not.
    However, if you went to a stand-alone MAC store in London or the USA, they are all trained makeup artists.

Actually we are... :) And when an artist starts with MAC they are sent off for a week of intense training and get updated every 3 months.. There are several certs to complete while working for MAC. People are very quick to judge here...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 taz6969

I was in BT in Dublin a while ago killing time and decided to browse and spend some money. I found the Mac girls very nice and to be honest it was easy to get their attention than some of the ones in Mac Soho which is my usual haunt. However when I looked around some of the fashion concessions I did feel like some of the assistants were looking down their noses at me but convinced myself I was being over sensitive until I asked one of the assistants how much a handbag was and she said with a sneer that it was 'quite expensive'!!!! Honestly! Silly cow!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭*Dallas

there are always certain mac products il buy and love.. but i get them online now because of the appauling service in BT's. Even in Blanchardstown, the girls seriously need an attitude check, its not confidence, its cockiness and its not good for customer experiences!

Question for those that have worked in BT's, are the girls paid bonus's or extra for caking themselves in the products? or wearin 6 inch heels?

i've seen other mac assistants look really well presented, but in BT's they actually look like they are ready to hit the tiles lol

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

taz6969 wrote: »
    I was in BT in Dublin a while ago killing time and decided to browse and spend some money. I found the Mac girls very nice and to be honest it was easy to get their attention than some of the ones in Mac Soho which is my usual haunt.

By Soho you mean London yes? I was there a few weeks ago and got excellent service. I was greeted as I went in and allowed to browse. I knew exactly what I wanted, asked for it, was given it promptly and politely. No pushing other products on me (not specifically MAC, most counters try and do that), was in and out in about six minutes!
    But then again it all has to do with the day and time of day you go in. Difference in Saturday afternoon/Thursday late night shopping to say a Tuesday morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 taz6969

Twee. wrote: »
    By Soho you mean London yes? I was there a few weeks ago and got excellent service. I was greeted as I went in and allowed to browse. I knew exactly what I wanted, asked for it, was given it promptly and politely. No pushing other products on me (not specifically MAC, most counters try and do that), was in and out in about six minutes!
    But then again it all has to do with the day and time of day you go in. Difference in Saturday afternoon/Thursday late night shopping to say a Tuesday morning.

Yep I mean London. I tend to go after work so it is the evenings and it gets very busy. The Mac girls in Harrods are fantastic but Knightsbridge is a bit of a trek (although it is a bit further for me to get to BT at the mo ;))!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭aloevera

got a present from my friend to go have my make up done in bt with nars. my friend was told id be shown how to apply make up correctly, and theyd do it for me etcc using colors suiting my tone.

1. first i walked in, the girls were SOOOO ignorant.
    2. i'd to wait 15 mins for the 'international make up artist' to come back from his break.
    3. he was french and i couldnt understand ANYTHING he wa saying.
    4. he reeked of smoke.
    5. he applied the palest foundation on my skin!!! fair enough im fair, but transulcent (cant spell) made me look like death, vile i tell you. i nearly died.
    6. whilst applying eyeliner - he kept blowing in my eye - it was weird.
    7. when i was finished, the girls muttered something lik 'now is your chance to buy some of the products' in a real salepersony way.

i was so glad to get out of there. its a pity i didnt go to mac or clinque or something. the experience was yuck!

god damn nars !!!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement