Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Woodgate and King

Options
  • 17-04-2009 10:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭

Are in my view the best central defencive partnership Spurs have ever had.
    What do you reckon ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭hotspur147

i'd have to agree.we have conceded 9 goals at home this season in the league only liverpool with 8 can boast a better home record.if only ramos had saved king for league games and not cup matches at the start of the season we might not have gotten ourselves into that mess and he might still be our manager.not that i'm not happy with 'arry

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭colly_browy

Forget about Ramos! The bloke came over to England with his 'Champions League' Sevilla side and got tanked 4-0 at the Emirates. Another 4-0 tanking at Anfield this season...doesn't exactly strike me as the most defensively astute manager - we're lucky to be rid of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

What do you reckon ?

Strong Statement. I was'nt alive to see many of our other top centre halves, but my old man would prob disagree. Did Graham Roberts not play centre half ?

Mike England and Ron Henry according to my old man, and he's see a few more than me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Roberts and Paul Miller are certainly up there.

Though we didn't play 4-4-2 back then, I'd say any two from Maurice Norman, Dave Mackay and Danny Blanchflower would give King and Woody a run for their money. Mackay and Norman would work for me, with Blanchflower pushed into a midfield role in a modern 4-4-2.

• Advertisement

Hatch99 wrote: »
    Mike England and Ron Henry according to my old man, and he's see a few more than me :)

Tell your old man he's got that one wrong mate, Ron Henry left the summer Mike England arrived at Spurs, and Henry was a left-back...;):P:P

By all accounts England was a class act though.

Here's one partnership that should have gone on to great things: Richard Gough and Gary Mabbutt. I was heartbroken when Gough left to go back north of the border...:(

Tell your old man he's got that one wrong mate, Ron Henry left the summer Mike England arrived at Spurs, and Henry was a left-back...;):P:P

By all accounts England was a class act though.

QUOTE]

Should have stated ...I was'nt referring to a partnership, I meant as centre halves alone.

QUOTE]

He joined as a centre half and played as a centre half at the start of his Spurs playing days. He was then converted to left back.

Hatch99 wrote: »

He joined as a centre half and played as a centre half at the start of his Spurs playing days. He was then converted to left back.

Not trying to be smart mate, your old man saw him play which is a hell of a lot more than I've ever done (apart from cup final DVDs) but he did play left-back for the bulk of his career, think he only managed 20 odd games in his first five seasons before he became a fixture at left-back.

On a related note, it pisses me off that there is so little in the way of archive footage from that era, that was a truly exceptional team moving into the early 60s.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭curraghyid

What do you reckon ?

+1
    that i have seen play for the club

• Advertisement

Not trying to be smart mate, your old man saw him play which is a hell of a lot more than I've ever done (apart from cup final DVDs) but he did play left-back for the bulk of his career, think he only managed 20 odd games in his first five seasons before he became a fixture at left-back.

On a related note, it pisses me off that there is so little in the way of archive footage from that era, that was a truly exceptional team moving into the early 60s.

Correct , he certainly did, he was watching Spurs in stadiums with 40k capacity but took in 60k odd for most games.

I never denied he played left full, all Im stating is that he was a hell of a centre back on his day as per somebody who watched him in the flesh.

Anyway, We wont argue...

Yes, I have a few dvd's myself that i enjoy sitting down to watch with a few beers, although they are mainly ' big games ', would love to get a few with season reviews etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

Norman and MacKay were the ones closest IMO, and there's no doubt that they were part of our most suscessfull era.

But Mackay was a better midfeilder than defender by all accounts, he pretty much ran the show from the middle of the park when he moved into midefild in the mid-60s.

Woodgate and King are immence though, and I don't think we've had a better partnership. Wouldn't it have been great to see King and Campbell play together for the last 10 seasons ? Guess we'll never know how good they would have been.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Roberts and Miller were a good combo allrite....

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭RichMc70

Here's one partnership that should have gone on to great things: Richard Gough and Gary Mabbutt. I was heartbroken when Gough left to go back north of the border...:(

Gough & Mabbutt were the best during my time. Shame it was so short lived.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Wendell Gee

Gough and Mabbutt definitely. Miller was just a little cumbersome, otherwise he and Roberts were great. I always wanted us to sign Mark Lawrenson when he was at Brighton, he would have been a perfect foil fort roberts, thewn he went to Liverpool and the rest, as they say, ...... However, if Ledley were to get truly fit, then we coul.d have new legends. This only relates to partnerships I have watched, of course.

Advertisement