Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Survey: would you like to have a Book Review Sub Forum

Options
  • 17-04-2009 10:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭

Just want to get the forum users' opinion on this.

the idea would be to create a sub-forum dedicated to book reviews. Currently this is handled by the main body of the forum.

I would see it working quite like the film section of boards with a dedicated review section that is restricted to reviews. discussion of the merits of a book would be held in the main section.

Obviously, there would be a new set of rules. reviews, by and large, contain spoilers so this would have to either be a given for the whole sub-forum or stated in each thread etc.

Pro: it would have reviews in one place and would be easier to search
    Con: it might take a lot of traffic off the main forum section leaving it a bit on the sparse side.

Would you like to see the creation of a Book Review Sub-forum 12 votes

Dont care
    0% 0 votes
    Yes. I think it would be a good idea
    0% 0 votes
    No. we can use the reading logs forum to give our reviews
    75% 9 votes
    No. I prefer to post reviews in the main forum.
    25% 3 votes

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

LoLth wrote: »
    Pro: it would have reviews in one place and would be easier to search
    Creating two forums out of one doesn't make it easier to search, imo. Not that many people even seem to use the search! If I was looking for info about a book, I'd also like to read all the follow on comments too.

Reviews prompt discussion and discussion belongs in the main forum, which already doesn't see a lot of traffic. My 2 cents. :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

• Not enough traffic for a reviews forum. Best keep these to either the main or reading logs forum where users review books anyway
    • Search option does not seem to be used very often so can see duplicate reviews being created

my 2c.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

117 views (ok some could be doubles or triples) and only 12 votes.

I know its 8-4 in favour of a sub-forum but with so little interest overall it doesnt really scream a need for a sub-forum.

I'll let the poll run its course but if itnerest levels stay liek this, then I have to agree with BossArky (well, almost) : Not enough *interested* traffic for a reviews forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

LoLth wrote: »
    I'll let the poll run its course but if itnerest levels stay liek this, then I have to agree with BossArky (well, almost) : Not enough *interested* traffic for a reviews forum.

I agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

171 views. a grand total of 14 votes. Yes 9 are in favour, but its still only 9.

Not enough active interest in setting up a seperate Book review forum (sorry, but its not worth the headache of rules and enforcement just for the wishes of 9 people).

Its a pity. I personally would have liked it :D but thats the way the baked confectionary erodes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

I agree LoLth, and thanks for giving it a shot at the very least, I dont know if many other mods would have been as obliging :)

Advertisement