Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

THAT letter in the Independent- Golf playing Dad

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 hanx

This country is gone to pot I can only hope you kind are in the minority because frankly you make me want to emigrate.

As a paye tax paye'r for many years, quite frankly I find that quote offensive.

This country went to pot decades ago. At the heart of it needless to say is Fianna FAILURE and nepotism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 cosecretary

in a load of shares and loose my trousers, will you bail me out? I think not.

what you could have done ( I don't know if you did or didn't) is purchase a home 2.5-3 X's your salary, stress tested against interest hikes and if a couple possibly one leaving a job/losing a job/having kids and if most people did this there would be no need to be calming interest relief or anything else, why the people of ireland should bail out people who made poor financial calls is really beyond belief.

It's not about begrudging people it's about the Irish tax payer not paying for other people's poor financial planning, as I stated previously if you bought wisley within your means, used a 10-20% deposit bought soemthing you could afford and stress tested that you should have plenty of bargaining room with your bank.

A home is not a devine right, it's a previlage.[/quote]

How dare you just assume we made poor financial calls.....unbelievable... the naievety!! firstly we were stress tested until the cows come home. We saved for six years before buying the house we didnt just wake up one morning and decide to buy a house. My partner lost his job I have had 10% pay cut theres no stress test in the world that can account for that kind of loss of earnings. Also we had saved our deposit so get down of your high horse. Fact is I am also a hard working tax payer, fact also is like I said I am not claiming any mortage relief but unlike you I dont begrudge people who are unfortunate enough to be in a position to have to claim it.

I happen to believe that every person in this country has a right to a roof over their head check out maslows hierarchy of needs I think you shall find shelter a pretty basic need.

There is a complete lack of understanding about the hardship some people in this country are suffering, people who worked for years to build up the economy people who paid their taxes and have always contributed to the country. We are not talking about bums but hardworking people but hey maybe the country should turn their backs on those people what good are they to the country now!

I hope to god you never have to claim any benefits from the state believe me its a long fall from that high horse you are sitting on

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Hillel wrote: »

On a human level I do consider having a home a very basic human right.

I'll have one too, I'd like a south facing garden, Dublin, I'm ok as long as the post code is even and not 24:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

How dare you just assume we made poor financial calls.....unbelievable... the naievety!! firstly we were stress tested until the cows come home. We saved for six years before buying the house we didnt just wake up one morning and decide to buy a house. My partner lost his job I have had 10% pay cut theres no stress test in the world that can account for that kind of loss of earnings. Also we had saved our deposit so get down of your high horse. Fact is I am also a hard working tax payer, fact also is like I said I am not claiming any mortage relief but unlike you I dont begrudge people who are unfortunate enough to be in a position to have to claim it.
    You're sense of entitlement is laughable but unfortunately common. I'm sorry things didn't work out and you shouldn't end up on the street but when you buy a house, or take out any type of large loan you take a risk.
    I happen to believe that every person in this country has a right to a roof over their head check out maslows hierarchy of needs I think you shall find shelter a pretty basic need.
    Yeah but you don't have a right to OWN that roof
    There is a complete lack of understanding about the hardship some people in this country are suffering, people who worked for years to build up the economy people who paid their taxes and have always contributed to the country. We are not talking about bums but hardworking people but hey maybe the country should turn their backs on those people what good are they to the country now!
    There are lots of hardworking people who contributed just like you did, but didn't buy houses, didn't go on holidays all the time, saved for the rainy day and are NOT in a difficult financial decision. You seem to be suggesting that just because you're 'hardworking', it means things should always work out for you. Sorry but this is the real world.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

I said I didn't know what you did, but it sounds like whatever it was it wasn't done right.

I hope to god you never have to claim any benefits from the state believe me its a long fall from that high horse you are sitting on

This right to a roof/owning a home etc is the exact reason the country is in the mess it's in and why so many people are suffering and feeling the hardship and why 250k+ are heading for negative because of this nonsensical attitude towards owning a home getting mortgages in sometimes excess of 10X's their wages.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

I have been carefully following the thread from the very beginning.
    I cannot begin to understand the problems that our unemployed must now be facing. It upsets me that the author of the article would take such an unfair and unbalanced approach. Social solidarity, how are you.:(

If bringing up the point that somebody on 35k in those circumstances is as well off, if not better off on SW, is lack of social solidarity, then you are welcome to it.

35k is not badly paid, tax and PRSI is only about 10% of income, they get 6k from the Govt. by way of FIS and yet, still, they are as well off on SW! There's something awry there!

I do notice though that when the article has been proven to be reasonably accurate we are onto strawmans and whataboutery to justify it.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭Hillel

K-9 wrote: »
    I do notice though that when the article has been proven to be reasonably accurate we are onto strawmans and whataboutery to justify it.
    The article has NOT been proven to be reasonably accurate.

The article has NOT been proven to be reasonably accurate.

The general JIST of the letter has been proven to be correct.

Why somebody on 35k with FIS of 6k would be worse off than the same person on SW is madness.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭Hillel

K-9 wrote: »
    The general JIST of the letter has been proven to be correct.
    I agree, in the general JIST that Ireland has an epidemic of Swine Fever, because a couple of people have it.

I agree, in the general JIST that Ireland has an epidemic of Swine Fever, because a couple of people have it.

Nice side stepping of the other point there.

• Advertisement
Advertisement