Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Husky refused to walk on lead.

Options
  • 17-04-2009 10:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I have a just over 3 month old Siberian Husky and I cannot for the life of my get him to walk on the lead. Now he is a good talk, affectioned and will listen to my commands (Most of them) he will come when told, sit etc but he has a mortal fear of the lead. Everytime I put it on him he will just sit down and not move, i've tried offering treats to get him to at least walk on it but he ignores them, i've tried gentle tugging again nothing he'd rather fight it then he gets very upset with it if I push him...can anyone offer any advice on this i'm out of ideas and I think a good walk would really help him get some energy out?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Firstly he is only a baby, so give him a chance.
    I would try clipping on the lead and just letting him walk around the house with the lead dragging behind the pup and have a play and stuff to distract him and make the lead fun for the pup.

Then gradually put a bit of tension on the lead and again with treats and toys.
    A pup of 3 months old cant be expected to know how to do everything and walking on the lead is a big thing.

If you are forcing him to do this he wont enjoy it and wil put up a fight, so just relax and dont be rushing to get the pup to do this so soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

I took in a dog only a couple of weeks ago. Previous owner said he refused to walk on lead but he walked for me first day. Maybe try get someone else to bring him, he may be afraid to say no then and enjoy it. Rox loves his walks now, as soon as he was out the door he was delighted. I just out his lead on, he sat tight and I gave it a pull and along he came, had it been the previous owner it may have been different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭Milkey Bar Kid

You need to put dog treats in you pocket and let the dog know were they are and use a short lead . when when dog walks for you then reward it with a treat

Advertisement