Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Vista error

• 17-04-2009 11:47am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,902 ✭✭✭

-- posted this on some other forums, not getting much joy....anyone? (desperate at this stage)......

ok, vista wouldnt boot for me as it was failing the genuine check. musta been a virus, cos I have the cds in my hand.
    last known good config and safe boot wouldnt work so sad to wipe and reinstall.

Next, downloaded all latest drivers for all hardware with program called drivermax. Been using for couple of years with several clients, great piece of SW.

Next, I use the laptop for media purposes and have a small app that I purchased last year. Supported on Vista and had been working before reinstall. App installs ok but get the dreaded "xxx has stopped working" when I click the exe.

Contacted vendor, never heard of it, must be a local issue. Ok so on to google and vistaforums, loads of suggestions about conflicts and security and DEP etc. tried all of them.

I went to services and stopped every service in vista except those needed for the OS.
    Tried a hotfix from MS.
    Ran as admin.
    Ran as Windows XP compatible.
    Deleted and Reinstalled the app.
    Changed permissions on the app to everything to all.
    All to no avail.

So last thing to try is the DEP. Theres command to run in DOS to turn it off, tried this, rebooted, didnt work. so then I see exclusion lists for DEP but I have to manually add these, the DEP gui from control panel/system/performance tab is greyed out and I cant click anything so I have to run from a cmd command.

the help for the bcdedit is a little complicated and my attempts to use it are either wrong or theyre right and the solution is not working.

any suggestions recieved about DEP or another potential fix would be welcome. Reminder, this worked before the reinstall.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,902 ✭✭✭clint_silver

if anyones interested. got a fix.
    Got restore cd, wiped and reinstalled vista home premium from scratch. before loading any drivers or any other software I installed my app and it worked first time.

Im installing drivers and creating restore points after each install and update, if one causes app to stop working, restore seems the only way to go.

talk about taking out a hammer but to crush a nut. Must have lost 3-4 days on this. Why, vista? why? :(

Advertisement