Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

entertaining a wounded mutt

Options
  • 17-04-2009 11:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭

hi all, our 7 month old king charles had to get surgery on one of his back legs, damaged ligaments in his 'knee', if you can imagine that. he had it on tuesday. the vet said he has to rest as much as possible, no interaction with other dogs, stay in one room, no going outside or up the stairs, anything like that.

as you can imagine, at 7 months he is very restless and i am worried he will do the ligaments again before they have a time to heal. anyone any recommendations on how i can entertain him? any good dog dvds?:D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭merryhappy

Was it a luxating patella by any chance? If I were you I'd take a look at www.cavaliertalk.com It is full of information about Cavaliers. In the mean-time I'd put him in a play-pen type thing with a kong but I'm sure you will get plenty more suggestions on the above site.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Leave on the radio/tv when you're not there, get him a few chewy toys, or pigs ears etc to keep him busy for awhile. The main thing is human company though. But if all else fails http://www.themoviefordogs.com/ yes it really exists :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭lg123

merryhappy wrote: »
    Was it a luxating patella by any chance? If I were you I'd take a look at www.cavaliertalk.com It is full of information about Cavaliers. In the mean-time I'd put him in a play-pen type thing with a kong but I'm sure you will get plenty more suggestions on the above site.

not too sure of the exact details of the injury, its the gf's dog so she dealt with the vet, will ask her later. thanks for the link, will take a look.
    anniehoo wrote: »
    Leave on the radio/tv when you're not there, get him a few chewy toys, or pigs ears etc to keep him busy for awhile. The main thing is human company though. But if all else fails http://www.themoviefordogs.com/ yes it really exists :D:D

got him a few bones in the butchers but he isnt into them as much as usual as he has a lamp shade on his head, cant really use his front paws to hold the bone.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

lg123 wrote: »
    he has a lamp shade on his head, cant really use his front paws to hold the bone.
    You can give him a break from that every now and again if you just keep an eye he doesnt lick the wound/stitches!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭lg123

he is getting the stitches out next weekend so think i will leave it in until then. the poor guy is going mental, we are trying to keep him in one room on the vets recommendation so he is not running around. to go from being pretty active to spending the whole time in one room is cracking him up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Bless the poor thing!!
    My dog Lily had a cone on for a good while when she'd her dew claw removed last year (she was 2yrs old at the time) and even though it was kinda funny watching her trying to get up steps and under chairs I knew it wasn't fair. Cuz they can't clean themselves or eat things by holding them and half of running around they catch the lip of the cone on the floor. I know if you watch them you can remove the collar, but personally I wouldn't -- Lily went NUTS at her leg when she got the chance and it just prolonged the healing.
    We have a 14wk old pup too and she'd have a fit if she couldn't play.
    The sounds of the play pen is a good idea (our pup didn't like the one we built, she used to climb out) with toys (but not too many or they wont have interest). Maybe a sock or something that belongs to one of ye? for comfort chewing?
    And when ye can spend time with him sit on the floor so he doesn't have to jump up to ye and maybe just play with a chew toy or something he can grab without needing his front paws.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Jules

If it was ligament damage, it was probably his cruciate ligament, the exact same thing the footballers damage. It's actually very easy for dogs to damage. Confining him to a play pen is a great idea, but obvious he is allowed out in the garden to pee/poo but strictly supervised! I would also agree with giving him a break from the buster collar, but again under supervision.

Advertisement