Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Canon 20D to a 40D

• 17-04-2009 11:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭

Well at the moment i'm having a few problems in where to go next,I love shooting sport and noticed my 20D struggling to keep capturing the players at the munster training session the buffer and FPS where abit sluggish more the FPS though,I have some money put aside to go towards a flash and possibly a 1.4tc for my 70-200 but that only if i find a cheap flash..Looking on shops websites and on ebay the 40D goes for £450 or near that and with the sale of my 20D i'd be able to afford it.

My question has anyone done it?Is it worth it?

I've looked at the 1D mkII but i havn't found any on the better side of £699 so it seems like the 40D is my only possible upgrade.

Also what about the 1D?Or is that backwards as it's quite small MP
    Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

For the sake of £50, I'd try go for the 1D MkII if I were you. Not that there's anything wrong with the 1D, but £50...

The biggest advantage (over the 40D) is build quality & weather proofing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Fajitas! wrote: »
    For the sake of £50, I'd try go for the 1D MkII if I were you. Not that there's anything wrong with the 1D, but £50...

The biggest advantage (over the 40D) is build quality & weather proofing.

damn it,I meant to type 699 :confused:
    Typo :eek:

D'oh!

What's the going rate for your 20D btw?

I'd say around 300 seens 300D's on adverts for 250...So around that :p

Soooo, that'd be around £250....

I'd be sorely tempted to save towards the 1D MkII

• Advertisement

Fajitas! wrote: »
    Soooo, that'd be around £250....

I'd be sorely tempted to save towards the 1D MkII

Yeah,But that's if i get it,and if the 1D MKII is still there
    I'm assuming that it's scruffy is why it's cheap but the 8fps is tempting not to sure on how it handles noise http://www.mifsuds.com/shprices.htm#canondigi

Meh, scruffy on a pro spec model is light use tbh. They're made to be well used.

I'm not too up on their noise handling, but I'd be pretty sure it's better than the 20D anyways :)

One thing is,i know my camera hasn't got spot metering or it's not the best,would this be a good thing to have?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,198 ✭✭✭kensutz

1D MKII noise handling? Just check my shots, I'd get it over the 40D although mine might be up for sale soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Tbh Ricky, I took Fajitas advice in getting the 5DmkI instead of upgrading to a 40D and it's probably the best choice I've made. I'd take his advice anyday with regards to photography!
    kensutz wrote: »
    1D MKII noise handling? Just check my shots, I'd get it over the 40D although mine might be up for sale soon.

Which one of the 1D's? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Dero

I have a friend who is looking to sell his 1D. I think he's looking for €400 for it.

For sports photography I don't think you can beat a 1D (whatever version). The high speed mode is just scary if you're used to more pedestrian cameras. I have a 350D and the difference in focussing speed/accuracy and frame-rate is night and day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 469 ✭✭ttcomet

If you do buy it off Mifsuds can you let us (me :)) know how it goes, I have been looking at some of their second hand stuff and they seem to have good prices.

Edit: Doh, forgot to to say go for the 1D I think it will leave the 40D way behind.

Dero wrote: »
    I have a friend who is looking to sell his 1D. I think he's looking for €400 for it.

For sports photography I don't think you can beat a 1D (whatever version). The high speed mode is just scary if you're used to more pedestrian cameras. I have a 350D and the difference in focussing speed/accuracy and frame-rate is night and day.

Might drop you a pm about that,

Anybody know what the 1D's are like?The sensor seems to be a weak spot..

Which one of the 1D's? :D

Only has the one..Check hix pix.ie page :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭City-Exile

If you want the 40D for sport, you really would need the grip as well. That will add a few notes to your total.

City-Exile wrote: »
    If you want the 40D for sport, you really would need the grip as well. That will add a few notes to your total.

Already got a BG-E2n from whyulittle earlier in the year

Contacted Mifsuds and the MKII has 85,000 acuations so i think i'll pick a 40D for the time being,Too much for my liking!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 340 ✭✭Fireman

Ricky91t wrote: »
    Already got a BG-E2n from whyulittle earlier in the year

Contacted Mifsuds and the MKII has 85,000 acuations so i think i'll pick a 40D for the time being,Too much for my liking!

I agree with you're choice Ricky, I would rather buy new than second hand any time, at least you know what you're buying

I think the life of the 1D2 shutter is 200K so it is not even half way. I still think it beats the 40D (which is what I have at the moment).

@whyulittle that is a cool set in a extremely geekey way :)

ttcomet wrote: »
    I think the life of the 1D2 shutter is 200K so it is not even half way. I still think it beats the 40D (which is what I have at the moment).

Yeah but that's only the expected count,wouldn't wanna take the risk :p

• Advertisement

I think my view of the 40D is a bit skewed as the shutter died after about 4K shots, that is why I would recommend the professional one. But if you don't feel comfortable buying it second hand then definitely don't you would be worried about it and not enjoy it.

Best of luck with which ever you choose.

Well i kept going over ttcomets mention that the 1D MKII goes to 200k and decided to go for a 1D MKII again,Just sold my 20D and now getting the money together should buy it sometime next week :D

I would just like to apologise in advance if something goes horribly wrong :)

I would just like to apologise in advance if something goes horribly wrong :)

Well it arrived about 20 mins ago and i'm amazed,First of all i got confused by this camera(hasn't happened before)and after abit of help from kensutz i figured out how to get in into High speed shooting and it's quick

Cheers all for the help :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,198 ✭✭✭kensutz

Took me a while to get used to it myself.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Ballyman

Where did you get it Ricky and how much??

I'm looking at getting one myself.

Ballyman wrote: »
    Where did you get it Ricky and how much??

I'm looking at getting one myself.
    Mifsuds.com in Devon UK £729 inc P&P of £30,Very well packaged and got it this morning it was shipped Wednesday by courier(DPD)

And just noticed on the inside of the box,The camera got a sensor clean too :pac:

Hah, nice one. Big step up for ya :)

Hah, nice one. Big step up for ya :)

Certainly is,But i'm loving it :),Once you figure stuff out it all gets very easy to use :)

Now time to look into the CFn menu's

• Advertisement

Ah sure, can't wait to see your next set of sporting pics! Should be on par with your skill now atleast

Looking forward to seeing your next set as well. I am still debating whether to get one a mark 2 like yourself or a mark 3.

Edit: I was checking out the picture of the donkey in the random pic thread and in flick is has " Artist: Tony Todd DL2 2PL 01325 720508" in the meta data, you should probably update it with your own name (assuming that is not your name :P)

Looking forward to seeing your next set as well. I am still debating whether to get one a mark 2 like yourself or a mark 3.

Edit: I was checking out the picture of the donkey in the random pic thread and in flick is has " Artist: Tony Todd DL2 2PL 01325 720508" in the meta data, you should probably update it with your own name (assuming that is not your name :P)

Cheers for that :) Recently read how to do that so will get right on it :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

I took out the 40D for the 1st time in ages today and fck I hated it, once you get used to FF it's virtually impossible to go back to the dark view finder of the crop frame.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

Ricky91t wrote: »
    Mifsuds.com in Devon UK £729 inc P&P of £30
    Do you have a direct link to this?

They have none left at that price, the next cheapest ones are 999.

http://www.mifsuds.com/usedpriceindex.htm. Just click on Canon Digital on the menu on the right hand side and will will bring you down to them.

Edit: not that I am staring at the list every day and dreaming about buying one or anything :)

• Advertisement

They have none left at that price, the next cheapest ones are 999.

http://www.mifsuds.com/usedpriceindex.htm. Just click on Canon Digital on the menu on the right hand side and will will bring you down to them.

Edit: not that I am staring at the list every day and dreaming about buying one or anything :)

:D

Camera is Still going strong and as for mifsuds i was delighted with their service,The package arrived and there was a full box of those polystyrene "S" shape thing with the 1D MKII box in the middle it was very well protected,The box was also filled with bubble wrap making the camera nice and protected,On the lid of the 1D MKII box it showed who checked the camera the shutter count and a tick the the sensor was either cleaned or clean,

The box was shipped Wednesday and arrived Friday at around 2:00 pm and although shipping was €30 is was a quick service and packed perfectly

About to take it out in about 20mins to GAA games :)

Just to let any used buyer's know,Alot of them have names registered to them,These come up in the exif,To fix it you need a firewire port,A 4 pin firewire(if your camera doesn't come with one)and the CD's so you can install EOS Utility and remote capture

When it's connected to the PC
    you open remote capture,Click the settings button (a hammer and spanner IIRC)
    And change the name there.

Think that's all anyway :)

Advertisement