Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sewing Classes

Options
  • 17-04-2009 12:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hey
    Does anyone know of any sewing classes in the Galway City area ?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11 irishangel

GTI do some evening sewing courses

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

I did one two years ago there and have to say found it pretty bad which was a shame as I was dead keen and the lady doing it was really talented. But the class was packed, you ended up up spending more on materials for the skirt you were making than the course itself (no option it was a basic skirt you were making no questions asked which is fair enough I guess for beginners). 80% of the class had not nearly finished their skirt by the end of the course because help was only given to two or three students as the class size didnt work. So just bear that in mind. Sorry i cant help you with information regarding a good course!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

I did one two years ago there and have to say found it pretty bad which was a shame as I was dead keen and the lady doing it was really talented. But the class was packed, you ended up up spending more on materials for the skirt you were making than the course itself (no option it was a basic skirt you were making no questions asked which is fair enough I guess for beginners). 80% of the class had not nearly finished their skirt by the end of the course because help was only given to two or three students as the class size didnt work. So just bear that in mind. Sorry i cant help you with information regarding a good course!

I did the same one and found it excellent.

I suppose when I did it it wasn't too packed. I know these days they limit the amount in the class quite a lot.

Most people in my class had the skirt finished before the classes ended and had started on something else (myself included).

In total I did 3 stints there and did 1 beginners and 2 advanced courses (the intermediate wasn't good when I was doing it but I hear it's great now). I'd be pretty confident making anything from a pattern now and making a few alterations.

I would have loved to have done the pattern drafting course but they're not running it anymore.

It's true you do spend quite a lot on materials in the beginners' course but it was worth it for me. These days I get most of my fabric and notions online which is much cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 irishangel

I never did the beginners class as I already knew how to use a machine but I have to say I thought the intermediate class was suberb. I made 2 garments & almost finished another while doing this course & you choose what you want to make. There was about 8 people in the class and each person got indvidual attention. Materials are expensive in Galway & probably thoughout Ireland so shopping online could be a good idea

I thought it was brilliant :)

Fair enough then. the class had 22 in it and one or two left so you can imagine it was pretty packed in the room!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Fair enough then. the class had 22 in it and one or two left so you can imagine it was pretty packed in the room!

Christ. That's way too many. Think it's tops 13 now. Can't believe you guys had to pay the same for less attention and instruction.

Twas seventy euro for 5 classes I think but the first one was taken up with telling us what we needed etc which amounted to another 70euro..I already had bits and bobs myself but I think people should be a bit prepared for the extra costs. A good tip tho and something I wish I did was film the lady demonstrating. One girl had a camera and just filmed the fiddley bits like the zip etc..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement