Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House Insurance - They say I am not covered

Options
  • 17-04-2009 1:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭

Hi All,

My fridge freezer suddenly packed in and I need to replace it. I have house insurance and I hoped to claim for the loss on the house insurance (it was an expensive american fridge freezer) so I can replace it.

When I called my Insurance company they told me that I am covered for the freezer contents but not the freezer itself???? Do you know is this correct? Is the freezer not part of my contents insurance?

It seems pretty strange to me that the food is covered but not the applicance.

Has anyone had dealt with anything like this before?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

That actually sounds correct. If the unit died from age or fault, then it wouldn't be covered under insurance, and you just need to replace it yourself. Same if your TV or kettle died.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Bam33

what if it was accidentially damaged and that stopped it working? Like door got dinted and stopped working??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Things like that are only covered for accidental damage. If that wasn't the case sure all you'd have to do is buy 1 t.v, dvd playeer etc for the rest of your life and claim for new ones whenever they stop working.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Bam33 wrote: »
    what if it was accidentially damaged and that stopped it working? Like door got dinted and stopped working??

That would be called insurance fraud! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Dampsquid

That would be called insurance fraud! :eek:

And it's a bit late now to change your story

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Bam33

ok ok I guess I will just have to try and fork out for a new one!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭MysticalSoul

How old is the fridge? Did you send back the warranty form - which can range on from one year and up, depending on the manufacturer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭themadchef

My Miele Fridge freezer died last year. It was outside the warranty. Cost to replace was going to be €1500. It was 4 years old. Rang Miele, they sent out a repair guy to look at it, and he said there must have been a leak as all the gas was gone.

Miele replaced it without charge and without quibble.They basically said no way would they expect that to happen to a product of theirs. I was obviously delighted. Fair play to them.

Ring the company at least, nothing to lose.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

How old is the fridge? Did you send back the warranty form - which can range on from one year and up, depending on the manufacturer.

There has also been plenty of post on this fourm that we have EU rights to expect products to last a certain amount of time and the manufactures 1 year warranty limits aren't legally enforceable.

OP definately call the manufacture you should get at least 5 years or more out of a fridge freezer. If they give you no joy contact the European Consumer Council and they will let you know your rights.

Advertisement