Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yorkie with amputated leg

Options
  • 17-04-2009 1:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭

to make a long story short my pony trampled on my yorkshire terrier and shes had to have her leg amputated.

can anyone give advice on after care, or any feelings at all on it. We only brought her home this morning.

cheers

wicked

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Poor little pooch, after the ordeal of it and once she's beginning to heal she will need to be given regular excercise (away from ponies) to help build up muscle tone on her other legs so it can carry the extra weight. All in all especially since she's small she will cope very well on three legs and over time you will even forget yourself that's she's running about on three legs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

I don't have much advice but just *hugs* for your poor yorkie!
    I would say it will take some getting used to but as GPR said there, building up confidence & other muscles will help. And as she's small her centre of gravity is lower to the ground and easier to balance on 3 legs I should hope. Just becareful I'd say of steps and lips of doors and jumping onto couch etc, incase she might fall.

good luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭Wicked

well guys Petals is home and the vet said he is delighted with her. she's flying around on three legs and isn't bothered by anything. i bought her a new cushion bed for a treat and she loves it, she's inside all the time now and lapping up the attention.

i brought her for a short work and will build it up gradually. Don't worry she won't be near horses, she never was near them until the accident. but thats how it goes.

i was afraid that she would be sore and feeling sorry for herself but she's as happy as ever and the vet did a really tidy job. she gets stitches out in two weeks.

thanks for the posts

Cheers

Wicked

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭igglou

Hey Wicked,

I'm so sorry to hear about your poor Petals! Wishing her a speedy recovery, though intime, she will be flying aorund like she was before. I'd like to think that dogs live in the moment so don't have to experience feeling sorry for themselves or remembering what happened.

I'm hoping thats why my Suzi has become a very relaxed and happy dog after all the years of abuse and beatings she recieved in her last home. She sends on her best doggy wished to Petals!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭Wicked

Hi

thanks for the post, i'm just so happy we still have her and she didn't have to be put down. she's happy out and seems to be doing.

glad yours is doing well to :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Lauragoesmad

Ah, I'm delighted for ya, Wicked. She sounds like a little trooper! Any pictures of her?

Advertisement