Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dewalt Cordless Drill €122

• 17-04-2009 1:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭

This Dewalt DC729KA 18V Cordless Driver Drill has a few good reviews and according to Amazon it has been reduced to £99.95 from £378.74 . Now I know it probably never sells for the full price - but it seems a good deal. It's on screwfix (don't deliver here) for £146.80.
    Total price delivered here is £110.44 - about €122.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭stackerman

Nice spot Ogham, just ordered one for myself. Thanks for the heads up !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,008 ✭✭✭mad m

Seen these up in B&Q the other day for €117....Also they have the Makita 18v and two batteries with a 101 drill piece set for same price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

mad m wrote: »
    Seen these up in B&Q the other day for €117....Also they have the Makita 18v and two batteries with a 101 drill piece set for same price.

I picked up the makita last week and seen the dewalt in there today for €117 fairly sure it was the same model as amazon, Well worth the money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

I'd say the Makita is probably the better of the two offers, it's 13mm as opposed to the 10mm De Walt, and also has the accessory kit of course. IMO De Walt are overrated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭k123456

The Makita sounds a good deal, anyone have any links to it, couldnt ses it on BQ website

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

k123456 wrote: »
    The Makita sounds a good deal, anyone have any links to it, couldnt ses it on BQ website

Only available in store, this is the model.

http://www.powertoolsuk.co.uk/webcat/details.asp?ProductCode=8391DWPE&ID=6564

It also has a tool kit of various drill bits, screwdriver bits, holesaws etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 124 ✭✭aristo

mad m wrote: »

B&Q have the dewalt drill back on offer for €117 they also have offers on hitachi, ryobi and bosch cordless drills

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 786 ✭✭✭center15

Is it an issue that the DeWalt drill has a Nimh battery as newer drills seems to have Lithium batteries which are better as they dont have the memory effect which means you dont have to wait till they are gone to recharge and can leave them on charge all the time without wearing them out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 432 ✭✭The Fool

Was in B&Q Swords today, the only Lithium Batteries they had where Bosch.
    A 14V with 1 Li Battery and Charger was 120.

Hitachi, De-Walt, Makita ect where mainly Ni CD batterys

Guy said these where being sold off to be replaced with Lithium Batterys over the next couple of months.

BTW Good deal on a Makita 12V cordless + 3 ni cd Batteries for 76euro. Sold out but you might get lucky in another shop

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

center15 wrote: »
    Is it an issue that the DeWalt drill has a Nimh battery as newer drills seems to have Lithium batteries which are better as they dont have the memory effect which means you dont have to wait till they are gone to recharge and can leave them on charge all the time without wearing them out.

I am an electronic engineer and can't see the advantage of using a lithium battery in a tool in the practical world.

The major advantages of lithium is

a) its power density allows the batteries to be smaller great for the man from the mr muscle ad.
    b) its low (initially) internal resistance produces higher torque in a power tool than same voltage nimh.

There are however several disadvantages to lithium ion.

Short shelf life, should be stored at 40% capacity for longest shelf life.

You should definitely NOT leave the batteries on for charge all the time an ideal charger in terms of battery life charges at a lower voltage and yields a lower capacity. Most of these chargers charge at a higher voltage to increase capacity which will shorten the life of the battery. A difference in voltage of just .05volts will dramatically reduce the longevity of the battery.

Also heat accelerates the aging process in the cells and batteries kept in the unit will always be hotter.

Lithium ion batteries should NEVER be completely discharged which in my experience is totally impractical on the job.

We had some dewalt drills with nicad batteries that took on and off about 360 m14 nuts to a high torque daily for about 3 years. Theres no way a lithium cell would ever last that long.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,901 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

bmaxi wrote: »
    I'd say the Makita is probably the better of the two offers, it's 13mm as opposed to the 10mm De Walt, and also has the accessory kit of course. IMO De Walt are overrated.

Have both the Makita and Dewalt.

Lovely bits of kit especially for the cash.

I'm a big fan of Makita always have been, but the Dewalt is a superior Drill, it flys through concrete.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

Ryobi FTW

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,092 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Ryobi FTW

Not in the same league as the Dewalt / Makita I feel but for general DIY use all are decent pieces of kit. That 18V Makita for 117 in B&Q recently with the full bit set in the case was a great deal. ( with the exception of the locks on the case - they are sh1t ! )

• Registered Users Posts: 7 BMWKTM

Paddy,
    A question for you. I have seen the Dewalt DC100KA in B&Q Cork for €124 (very good value I feel) but my only concern is that the batteries are only 1.3 Ah hr NiCd. Can you explain how much less work i would be likely to get done with those that the 2.0 NiCd or 3.0NiMh batteries. Or put simply does it mean I will get 65% of the time as I would out of the 2.0 one?
    Also can you confirm if the torque available is not adversly affected by the lower Ah hr battery.:confused:
    For some reason any search I do on any site I cannot find this model in any website.
    Thanking you in advance.
    BMWKTM

Advertisement