Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Developing Question?

• 17-04-2009 1:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 669 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

i hope ive posted this in the right section. my apologies if i havent :o

i recently bought a Diana F+ and some rolls of 120mm film. Purely to just mess about on, as im still very much a learner! i went off on a little expedition and shot a few of the rolls. Feeling very chuffed with myself i brought them down to my local photo shop to be developed, where i was met with a very rude employee saying that ide have to take them to 'some place' in dublin if i was lucky. but his advice was to send them to england to be developed!

i was just wondering if anyone knew a place in ireland, or somewhere i could send my film to be developed? i live in the Wicklow Area.
    Any help would be great guys!

Thanks a Million

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Hey,

Well first off, don't mind yer man. You'll find that attitude in a lot of places. Fortunately, there's plenty of spots in Dublin that will develop it if you're up this way any time soon, Gunn's being the one that'll get reccommended to you most about here, and with good reason.

Another question, is it colour or BW?

If you liked shooting the Diana, and black and white film, you could try your hand at developing your own - Don't jump straight into it by any means, but it's something to bear in mind!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 669 ✭✭✭sarahn11

i have some B+w and some colour films. i dont think im at a point yet to develop my own, but its something i wouldnt rule out in the future.

might head up over the weekend and check it out. its that place on Wex St right?

gonna try and do the 35mm film mod, at least i can get them developed locally, and i really like the look of the sproket hole effect!

Thanks a million for your help!

EDIT: this may sound silly, but how long might it take for developing? would i get them back the same day or a few days wait? just so ill know whether i will have to come back up at a later stage B)

Yep, on Wexford St, opposite Whelans.

Some cardboard with black electrical tape will do the 35mm mod for you, if you didn't want to buy Lomo's 35mm kit. When you're getting the 35mm developed, make sure you tell them not to cut the negs!

wasnt going to buy the kit, i saw a vid on youtube about doing the mod and am about to try it.

will also tell em not to cut the negs....but why? :o

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

+1 for Gunns

For the B&W you could also send them to Hetty's Darkroom

• Advertisement

When you drop'em in to get developed, the negs are cut with usually 5 or 6 frames on each cut, but your sizes are going to be different, so they could end up cutting a photo in half on you, which is a big pain in the arse :p

of course! silly me! :o

have the Diana loaded and ready to go, the rain has subsided, ill grab my hat and scarf and off i go :)

Thanks a mil for all your help guys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Schlemm

I tried the 35mm in my diana trick too...wasn't thrilled with the results but I suppose a first try isn't always gonna be stellar! I am gonna try it again eventually tho and hopefully learn from a few mistakes!

Make sure you tape up the red window with BLACK tape, and lots of it. I used a good bit of white tape and it still leaked through in pretty much every shot, making some of them look like something of a kotex ad :pac:

What you see in the viewfinder is sometimes a bit off from what turns out in the film, I had a few decapitated subjects in mine! So try to avoid putting heads and other important objects in the very top of the frame.

If you're gettin them developed, you'll have to scan the negs a certain way to get the sprockets...I didn't bother with this (I ain't got no scanner... I also don't know anything about scanners :( ) but it can be done!

ps I'd also reccomend gunns for getting film done!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Mr. Grieves

sarahn11 wrote: »

EDIT: this may sound silly, but how long might it take for developing? would i get them back the same day or a few days wait? just so ill know whether i will have to come back up at a later stage B)

Gunn's will do negs only in an hour on a Saturday, I'm not sure about other days.

Here's some samples with 35mm throught the Diana;

3449444801_9f5421bd57.jpg

3450260234_0f46bcbed9.jpg

Pretty quickly digitalised, so far from the sharpest, but it'll cover your whole neg, and more length ways than a normal 35mm :)

I like. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Schlemm

Fajitas! wrote: »

Pretty quickly digitalised, so far from the sharpest, but it'll cover your whole neg, and more length ways than a normal 35mm :)

I like. :)

awesome shots! what scanner do you use, or indeed, reccomend? (without spending a fortune!) And is there any trick to scanning the negs?

Lol... well, I get fed up of scanning, so I only bother with shots I know are worth keeping - The above are popped onto an A1 lightbox and shot with a 5D Mk II and a 135 f/2 L and cropped down - It saves me loading negs into a scanner and so on.

If you've about 200 to spend on a scanner, the Canon 8800 model isn't the worst at all... If you can spend more, the upper line of Epson models are the business :)

Use a TWAIN to scan them through photoshop rather than the software provided, turn off auto-everything, and see what works for yourself. I'm not sure how you work yourself in post production, but I find curves very difficult to use, but levels works a charm for contrast. It's all about what suits yourself!

Advertisement