Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best Radio Show?

• 17-04-2009 1:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,464 ✭✭✭✭

Seeing as there's a worst radio show I thought I'd do one for the best.
    Any seeing as I only really follow 3 radio shows it might be a good time to expand my selection.

I enjoy the Matt Cooper show on Today FM purely for highlighting what a shower of cvnts TDs are.
    I find with Matt Cooper show that I get angry at all the bolloxology from TDs etc and I'd probably punch one if I met one while listening to that show.

For Newstalk it's Moncrieff (2.30-4.30) --nice mixture of things and I particularly enjoy the book reviews.

Also the George Hook show..never listened to Hook before as I don't follow Rugby but again listening to him prattling on is very relaxing.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Good luck with your thread :D

I'm actually a bit embarrassed, but my favourite show is Colm & Jim Jim's Breakfast Show :o . It's the only time of day I won't turn over stations when I'm in my car. I think it's more out of habit though than anything, listened to the Strawberry Alarm Clock religiously since I was about 8 so it was a natural progression to follow them to 2fm. They used to be great on FM104... however they irritate me a bit now and their material has gone downhill but I still listen to them everyday! They're on holidays this week and I've been listening to a bit of Ian Dempsey and I have enjoyed his show a lot.

Talkshow-wise, Sean Moncrief's show is probably my favourite. Don't get to listen to Newstalk much in work but I switch over when I can.

Music-wise, I love Jenny Green's Electric Disco. She plays great music that always puts me in the mood to go out and she's a great presenter, very professional and natural.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭heybaby

I like jenny greene's electric disco myself, she's very good, does exactly what she says on the tin, no prattling nonsense, good clean links.

Off the ball is terrific, its without doubt the best sports programme on either radio or tv in this country.

Matt cooper is the best of the drive time choices by a mile.

ernie gallaghers love zone in the evenings on q102 is good to wind down to, the music range could be broader however.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭deelite

I love Joe Duffy - it's just great - and I've learned loads from it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Diarmsquid

Hamish and Andy.
    I listen to the podcasts every day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

The Last Word Today fm and at the weekend i really enjoy the Sunday Buisness show also Today fm it's very easy to follow and it's not all numbers and bankers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

Off The Ball, Newstalk - particularly the Football show.

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭salad dodger

Chris Moyles Breakfast show all the way for me.
    Just a shame I lose signal half way to work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭alpha2zulu

Matt Cooper is definetly the best at talk radio, and just seems to have more cojones in asking the tricky questions than the competition in RTE
    The Sunday business shows on Radio 1 and Marian Funucane at the weekend are always a great listen.

For pure entertainment the Chris Moyles show is king, and his Golden hour today really hit the spot for a Friday:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 825 ✭✭✭3fullback

THE RAY FOLEY SHOW . ABSOLUTE BRILLIANCE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭longfordjames

ITalk on www.i102104.ie sunday to thursday 10pm to 1am

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

3fullback wrote: »
    THE RAY FOELY SHOW . ABSOLUTE BRILLIANCE

Well, that sums that up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,099 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

Ray Foley!!

Best randomness on the radio.
    People who don't getthe humour of it take themselves waaay too seriously.

I love Lazy Radio on Fridays aswell.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭dceire

Not exactly very Irish but Bod Dylan's Theme time radio played on Phantom is excellent!

As for strictly Irish shows Off the Ball and Moncrieff on Newstalk are quality!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

dceire wrote: »
    Not exactly very Irish but Bod Dylan's Theme time radio played on Phantom is excellent!

Do you know if they podcast it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭Pat2107

I like Damian Farrelly's show on nite time 2fm. Much better than Ruth i dont give a **** scott! Or The sunday Cruise, I tink Aidan Leonard is one of the best jocks on RTÉ 2fm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 350 ✭✭bogtreader

matt cooper Today fm off the ball newstalk the best for sports :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭Fago!

If we're talking about Irish radio, It'd be Ray Foley.

If we're talking international, either The Hamish and Andy show (Aussie), Mark, Flynny and Steve (New Zealand), Greg and the Morning Buzz (USA) or Chris Moyles (UK). I've also recently gotten into The Danny Bonaduce Show (USA)

Laugh out loud radio fo' shizzle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

Matt Cooper-Today FM

I don't listen to music on the radio much these days but Seanie on Midlands can be ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Bonkers_xOx

Ray Foley-Today Fm
    Dara Quilty-Spin1038
    Ledgends!
    :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,468 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

foley isnt too bad but his humour is very hit and miss and relies far too much on rubbish, over used audio inserts. when its good, its very good and at least he's trying hard unlike most DJ's on radio, standards have dropped quite a bit, especially on 2fm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

I was actually thinking about this one on the way in to work this morning.

If I've to go out to sites during the day I specifically alter my schedule so that I can catch Moncrief on Newstalk, along with that I also try to fit in at least 1/2 an hour of Off The Ball per day.

I actually notice that my ratio of radio listening as companred to TV watching has pretty much broke even for the first time in my memory. I wonder how much more it can swing in favour of radio :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Brian CivilEng

George Hook or Matt Cooper would probably be the only radio shows that I listen to on broadcast radio, then again I normally have Today FM/FM104/98Fm on for background music.

I listen to the Hamish and Andy podcasts every day, and am working my way through the podcasts of the much lamented Get This! with Tony Martin. Seriously recommend people check out this sadly missed show.

7th Dimension timeslot of BBC Radio 7 is good sometimes, I just have to remember to listen to it before it disappears from iplayer.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,241 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

I102104 has to be one of the best now. Fergal D'Arcy and Peter Ganly from 4 and Mary McGill from 10. Legends.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,259 ✭✭✭✭flazio

djhunter30 wrote: »
    I102104 has to be one of the best now. Fergal D'Arcy and Peter Ganly from 4 and Mary McGill from 10. Legends.
    Agreed there, although it must be said that their counterparts over on 105-107, Nadia and Phil give them a good run for the money as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

I like Playback on RTE 1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

Is there a show on BBC Radio 2 with Clive Anderson and a few guests. I only heard it once, on a saturday afternoon and they announced that it was moving to a new time slot. Anderson is one of the funniest men on tv / radio.

Matt Cooper show, Sunday Supplement with Sam Smith on today fm are both great shows. Factual without being boring.

Newstalk off the ball show can not be beaten by any sports show in the world.

Edit: Just realised i forgot to mention Tony Fenton. I know his accent is a bit ridiculous but he has been the best music DJ in Ireland for the past number of years imo. Plays absolutely cracking tunes every day. I think this has evolved as the show has gone on, cause i don't think the music was as good a couple of years ago on his show.
    Alison Curtis did a great job filling in for him for a couple of weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭Happy121

Lately I have been listening to Tom Dunne on Newstalk, he has a very natural way on radio which is a bit like listening to someone having a chat rather than the usual interview interview.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

Happy121 wrote: »
    Lately I have been listening to Tom Dunne on Newstalk, he has a very natural way on radio which is a bit like listening to someone having a chat rather than the usual interview interview.

more like listening to a few school girls having a giggle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

irish_bob wrote: »
    more like listening to a few school girls having a giggle

lads, this is for radio shows you like. If you want to critique a show, please do it in the "worst radio show" thread. Otherwise, both threads will just descend into the usual. Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭robo

The Saturday Interview show that Eamon Dunphy does - he has some great guests.
    Also the What If series that RTE used to run - they did a book from the series also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

The breakfast show (BBC Radio 5) .............

http://www.bbc.co.uk/fivelive/programmes/sonys.shtml

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 BanjoKelly

PM with Eddie Mair on BBC Radio 4. Likeable host, hard news and a bit of fun. It's a bit like what Morning Ireland could be if it had talent pool and the budget.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

ibh wrote: »
    Is there a show on BBC Radio 2 with Clive Anderson and a few guests. I only heard it once, on a saturday afternoon and they announced that it was moving to a new time slot. Anderson is one of the funniest men on tv / radio.

I think you mean BBC Radio 4 as per http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006qjym

Clive is off for a few weeks and yes its a great show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

Music: Corona Extra party mix on 98 on Saturday evenings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 985 ✭✭✭spadder

John Creedon -plays great music

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭benj

8am-9am...Ian Dempsey...Today fm
    9am-12pm...Gerry Ryan...2fm
    12pm-2.30pm...Ray Foley... Today fm
    2.30pm-5pm...Rick o Shea...2fm
    5pm-7pm...Matt Cooper...today fm

this is my usual choice if im in the car at these times of day...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Irish radio:

The Last Word; Cooper is consistent in his quality (although he may not be everyone's cup of tea), the news items are well picked, they get the balance right, get some good guests, but there is also some leeway for less newsworthy stuff. It's only the jingles and continuous ad breaks, spa hotel promo competitions that subtract from it. Always have it on for the drive home.

Musically, it has to be An Taobh Tuathail on RnaG...great selection of tracks, no in-between bullsh*t (if there is, ní thuigim mé ;) ), no overblown personality, "humour" or much else, apart from new music...the way it should be. The only downside is the late start.

UK radio:

Both the Essential Selection with Pete Tong on fridays and Zane Lowes' 7-9 (BBC R1) show midweek offer superb music; both new and old... professional presentation, well done listener interaction and an actual passion for the music and the listeners that I find absent in the majority of music shows in this country.
    A lot of the stuff on R4 is great too, news in particular.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Moncrieff is good

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,423 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Moncrieff is good

He is Good.:)

Wish i got to hear it more often, only get to hear him if i'm off work:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

I'm the same DM-ICE :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15 damos

Ray foley and moncref are very good but I also enjoyed gay byrne on lyric fm on sundays before that 'SAP' Marty Whelan took it over

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,468 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

listened to some off the ball on newstalk yesterday(newstalk now available in west cork:)) and thought it was excellent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

Treasure Quest on a Sunday morning 9-12 on either BBC Radio Norfolk or BBC Three Counties Radio....different shows for different areas and slightly different rules, but you can listen to either with the ON DEMAND facility via Internet Radio.

E

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

Not exactly very Irish but Bod Dylan's Theme time radio played on Phantom is excellent!!
    That's probably the worst show I've heard!
    As for strictly Irish shows Off the Ball and Moncrieff on Newstalk are quality!
    Agree, Off the Ball ftw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 220 ✭✭dueyfinster

Another vote for Matt Cooper! I also like George Hook (Technology slot), used to listen to Moncrieff when I was on the bus to College, he's entertaining.

For morning to day it's got to be Ray D'arcy (although his show is a bit housewifey). For music I like Rick O'Shea, he is into similar stuff to me and his blogs entertain for killing time.

I try to stay away from radio for music, it's mostly rubbish...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

The Electric Disco on Saturday Evenings (2fm)

I'd nearly pay to have a full day of 2fm with just those type of tunes, none of that chart rubbish. IMO, the best dance music show on Irish radio at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Mick Regan

West Cork Today (C103) with David Young was a favourite, but UTV axed it recently to save a few bob - I think they must be quite dopey!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 54321

Yes David Youngs West Cork Today was a terrific show. Also the Sunday Business Show on TodayFM is a must listen. Not too long, but on the ball and serious business news. No light stuff which it needs to be. And thirdly the Will Leahy Show on 2fm. Its not as good as the Saturday Show used to be, but Will is a pro and it is nice to hear a thought out and prepared music show for once.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 upthewalls

I get to listen to the radio all day in work, so for me it's-

Newstalk/Radio One in the mornings - Pat Kenny, Joe Duffy - Matt Cooper, and the Business Programme and Sam Smyth on Todayfm Sunday Mornings. - Have started listening to more Current affair programmes and have learnt so much from them! used to listen to Today fm the whole day in work but thought some of the shows went stale..(Gift Grub and D'arcy) though Anton Savage is doing a great job for Ray D'arcy at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 mattyvs

Although his night time show was better, Ray Foley is still the best on the air

• Advertisement
Advertisement