Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problems reinstalling vista

Options
  • 17-04-2009 1:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭

I originally had windows vista on my computer but as it was just after coming out it was still buggy as hell so I installed windows xp. Lived with that for a while but then decided the last day to give vista another shot.

So i reinstalled it but now whenever I start up my computer it prompts me wheather to run an old version of windows(xp) or vista. I want to stop this prompt and get rid of the old version of windows on my laptop.

Anyone know how to do this as my head is melted
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Moved from laptops.
    It sounds to me like you installed vista on another partition instead of "upgrading" to Vista. I think there is a free bit of software out there that enables you to modify the boot loader. You can modify it manually too, but it's a bit on the complicated side.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

Moved from laptops.
    It sounds to me like you installed vista on another partition instead of "upgrading" to Vista. I think there is a free bit of software out there that enables you to modify the boot loader. You can modify it manually too, but it's a bit on the complicated side.
    Yup i did do that indeed. :(. Any idea what the software is called. I have no idea what term to use to find it on google!

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Rebel021

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭overexcitedaj

Why not RE instal windows again but format the whole disk before hand as youve obviously done a bit of re installing already so start afresh for most efficent results imo.
    If not just use partition magic. Cant remember exactly but i think you should be able to delete the xp partition

• Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

Why not RE instal windows again but format the whole disk before hand as youve obviously done a bit of re installing already so start afresh for most efficent results imo.
    If not just use partition magic. Cant remember exactly but i think you should be able to delete the xp partition
    Nah partician magic does nothing for it, It was formatted i dunno why xp is still there. Even tadhg was mind boggled.

Couldnt be bothered reinstalling everything again so im just gonna get that programme and take a stab at it later!

• Advertisement
Advertisement