Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Folding Light Reflector - Advice Req.

• 17-04-2009 1:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭

I've got a wedding to cover in July and it will be predominantly outdoors.
    I want to get a decent folding light reflector.
    Does anyone have any opinions, or advice?
    Sliver/Gold?
    White/Gold?
    Diffuser/Reflector?

In truth, I'd probably get away with something like this...

Thanks in advance,
    P.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

I swear by reflectors for everything from wedding to fashion.

You can get KOOD (amonst other brands, names escape me at the moment though) in a 5 in 1 reflector, as in, it's got a reversable sleeve so white and gold are on one side and silver on black on the other! They're under 50 quid in Gunn's, depending on size!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭bovril

I got the 32inch Portaflash 5 in 1 from Gunns last year for 43Euro. I've only used the silver side so far for wedding shots but it's nice to have the option of the other colours if I need them.

Folds up really small and has it's own bag too. Very handy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭stcstc

i have a couple of the round ones, big and medium

BUT

by far the best is the lastolite tri grip one i have, it easy to hold etc and stiff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭City-Exile

Lasolite are expensive though.
    The ones I saw over here were £80 :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭stcstc

man its worth it though they soooo much easier to handle

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭quilmore

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

I've one you can borrow. It's medium size.

Cheers Paul.
    Do the tri grip ones fold up too?
    I had enough trouble folding the one Borderfox had up in Randalstown. :D

I forgot to mention that the wedding is in Marbella, which is why I was looking for a diffuser too.
    In fact, I'd probably need to have a reflector and a diffuser, if the sun is still strong at 17:00

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭DotOrg

we use two lasolite trigrip ones but rarely use them at weddings apart from some portraits of just the bride and groom. They are really well made, easy to hold and transport.

One rarely has enough time to experiment with lighting at weddings and of course, I presume you have an assistant who knows how to use a reflector & diffuser?

• Advertisement

Thanks for the response, DotOrg.
    My "assistant" will have 3 days in Marbella before the wedding, to learn how to use a diffuser/reflector.

I'm more concerned about the harsh light in the Marbella sun, so that's why I was interested in the diffuser. Was then thinking a reflector would work well with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭sasar

I have a translucent reflector 1.68x1.10m if you wish to borrow:
    d60d_1_b.JPG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 335 ✭✭ValueInIreland

I'd go with the 5 in 1 option, especially as you are likely to need the diffuser. The diffuser (depending on whether you are shooting H&S or full length) usually needs to be bigger that the "standard" 30-40" models.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

I've a 5-in-1 Fajitas recommended to me some time ago....great little thing, and folds up so compact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Buzz Lightyear

Hi Peadar,

I've a 32" Flashpoint 5 in 1, that I find great and packs up quite small. Your more than welcome to borrow it if you like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭mrmac

I picked up a 110cm 5-in-1 reflector on focalprice for $25, inc. air mail. Really surprised with the good quality. You're welcome to check it out in Leixlip.
    Go to focalprice and use SKU: DI074X

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭Fionn

yeah the round reflectors are the biz
    i've got one of these must get a stand for it!!

So many generous people on this forum.
    Offers really appreciated.
    I'll probably pick one up myself, as it's handy to have anyway.
    Cheers.

P.

Advertisement