Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kojaks Barbers - Douglas Court SC

Options
  • 17-04-2009 1:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭

Has anyone used this barbers lately? Here's my tale...

I've often used this barbers, anytime I went in there were two women working there and they were friendly and always did a good job but last Wednesday I went in for a haircut and there was a lad in there so i just took a seat and told him what I wanted.

Now the moment he started with the clippers I knew I was in for a rough haircut! The lad was nearly hopping the clippers off my head (I was getting a #2 back and sides). I felt I was joining the army!

Anyway, what really ticked me off was when he went over a small raised mole on my neck with the clippers (normally the person cutting the hair will pay attention to this and be very careful) I knew he must have cut it but he said nothing.
    When he was finished I checked and yes, plenty of blood coming from it. I was furious but at this stage I felt there was no reason in saying it to him, to be honest I was nearly afraid of him,he was so arrogant.

I was annoyed with myself for maybe not copping earlier that he was a total nutter but I just paid my money and left..in fairness he did a fairly good job on the actual haircut but his manner was terrible and the fact that I walked away bleeding was not good!

I wonder has it changed ownership or something because usually the women are always in there and if this looper is going to be there in future well then I have to go find somewhere else.:mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Go ask for the manager, tbh you should have called him on cutting you as he should of taken greater care. If you go again and get the same guy make a point out loud of saying you'd like to treated with a bit of respect this time and not end up cut, not exactly those words but to that effect.

MC

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Max001

Try Michelle in An Barbar (sp?) in Douglas. She only works certain days. A complete laugh and good hairdresser too.

The barbers next door to the travel agents, close to Tesco is pretty good too.

On the odd occasion I've had a similar experience, usually from Eastern European girls with very limited English and who plainly didn't give a fudge, I refused to pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Go ask for the manager, tbh you should have called him on cutting you as he should of taken greater care. If you go again and get the same guy make a point out loud of saying you'd like to treated with a bit of respect this time and not end up cut, not exactly those words but to that effect.

MC

yes you are right, I am thinking of writing a letter to be honest or calling in the next time I am there. But I will never use him for a haircut again.
    I also had to ask him to actually cut my fringe, he never went near it and he was wrapping up and I brought it to his attention! The lad seemed to be in a major rush, not that there was anyone else in the place and it was only 3pm!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

That place is a monumental rip off. I payed almost 20 Euro for a dry cut there one Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Funny you should post this. I went there last tuesday morning and a guy cut my hair there...usually the women. I vowed never to go back if he is there again. No interest in doing the job....had to be told repeatedly to take some off the front, blade slipped on one side of my head so bit missing from one side burn, etc, etc. Whipped the gown (or whatever it is called ) off and walked away as soon as another customer came into the shop and did not finish the job properly.

I thought I was over-reacting but glad I wasn't the only person who noticed that he is useless.

• Advertisement

ned78 wrote: »
    That place is a monumental rip off. I payed almost 20 Euro for a dry cut there one Sunday.

crikey that is expensive! Well i paid €16 always and i used to even tip the women if they did a good job but this lad was not getting a cent extra...perhaps I should have refused to pay...I'm mad at not standing up for myself now.

crikey that is expensive! Well i paid €16 always and i used to even tip the women if they did a good job but this lad was not getting a cent extra...perhaps I should have refused to pay...I'm mad at not standing up for myself now.

Yep...€16...I usually give €18. Not this time though...made sure I got all my change. Should have asked for a refund also to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

You're all daft. I pay normally 11 Euro in the Polish barbers on Pouladuff Road - 'Matrix Barber' - and I get a great haircut, some good conversation, and coffee. If I want to pay 20 Euro for a haircut, I'll go to Franco Barberi for what's actually a 20 Euro haircut in terms of value.

ned78 wrote: »
    You're all daft. I pay normally 11 Euro in the Polish barbers on Pouladuff Road - 'Matrix Barber' - and I get a great haircut, some good conversation, and coffee. If I want to pay 20 Euro for a haircut, I'll go to Franco Barberi for what's actually a 20 Euro haircut in terms of value.

I agree about it being daft but when you got 2 17 month olds to drag around on a saturday morning, the only option for now is a quick pop into this place if there is no queue while the wife goes into Dunnes to do the shopping....I hate paying that much but it is ultra-convenient.

Used to go to an eastern european place in Ranelagh when I was living in Dublin...€8 on midweek days for a very good job. Now that was decent value.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

I pay €10 for a wash and cut (They wash it then put a blade 3 all over, then wash it again, then apply gel if I want. Very proffesional! They know I work late sometimes and said if I ever need an emergency cut to call and they would open up. Very nice of them.

OP - You should definitely complain! I think people never complain enough. I have to send a complaint to Tescos soon.

• Advertisement

kingtut wrote: »
    OP - You should definitely complain! I think people never complain enough. I have to send a complaint to Tescos soon.

I agree. We should complain. The owner may never know why she is losing business if people just stop going there as a result of him without complaining. At least of complaints are lodged, steps can be taken to rectify the problem.

thanks folks, yes, I will complain and I will keep you posted. I now also feel daft for paying €16 for a dry cut :(

kingtut wrote: »
    I pay €10 for a wash and cut (They wash it then put a blade 3 all over, then wash it again, then apply gel if I want. Very proffesional! They know I work late sometimes and said if I ever need an emergency cut to call and they would open up. Very nice of them.

where do you get this? Sounds like great value.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Jhazon

Yeah, I'm looking for a barber in the Douglas/Rochestown area that can cut a flat top (#1 on the sides & back; straight across the top)... any recommendations??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭Kersmash

Absolute crap barbers tbh. Got my hair cut there once or twice before and I've never been happy with it. Expensive and that guy is an ass, I've only ever got my hair cut by him and eastern european women who couldn't understand what I wanted. I justually go to boys2men in Douglas Village S.C. Not much better, save for one Lady in there who always does a fantastic job. Only head in there when I see her. Can't remember her name for the life of me now though.
    Jhazon wrote: »
    Yeah, I'm looking for a barber in the Douglas/Rochestown area that can cut a flat top (#1 on the sides & back; straight across the top)... any recommendations??

I'd say most places would be able to do that, seems relatively basic. Try boys2men I'd say. There's also Leonard(douglas Village S.C) and Peter Mark(Douglas Court S.C) around, but they're very expensive and designer like. Can't say I've any personal experience with them though.

Actually I've heard very good things about Alan's(Near the east village), although I hear there's a long waiting list, but It's meant to be quality. There's also De Barbers(By Centra, across from Barrys pub) but I've no idea what they're like.

Christ there's lots of Barbers/Hairdressers about.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭wonka

Alans is good. you can make an appointment (usually a day in advance is enough) - but you can also just turn up and the other fella will cut it - equally as good - prepare to wait an hour though. 16 euro is a bargain for the attention you get - compared to some other butcher shops anyway.

I might give Alan's a go, thanks folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Bill-e

The Turkish place in broadale do a fine job. €16 with student ID. They pay attention to detail.

Bill-e wrote: »
    The Turkish place in broadale do a fine job. €16 with student ID. They pay attention to detail.

seems quite expensive actually considering they are looking for student ID with that! I can give them my 10 year old student ID card if they want:D

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭crustyjuggler

I got a haircut in Togher accross from Centra in an Indian place . It was the best haircut I ever got in my life and I only paid a tenner . Serious good haircut . I usually get a haircut by Henrys off that black haired bird for the perv but the Indian gave me a quality cut so no more perving and viva la Indians .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Jhazon

I got a haircut in Togher accross from Centra in an Indian place . It was the best haircut I ever got in my life and I only paid a tenner . Serious good haircut . I usually get a haircut by Henrys off that black haired bird for the perv but the Indian gave me a quality cut so no more perving and viva la Indians .

How much? I just got a cut from the barber shop just up the road from Barry's (same side but not as far as the Rugby club) €16 + €2 tip

Just to update you all on my OP, I wrote a letter of complaint to the manager and sent it off...never heard back so that has made my mind up, I'm never using that barbers again.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭diego ribas

Got stuck one day for a haircut and came across alans barbers in douglas. Its my regular place for a baz now.:cool: they do a top job and they're very friendly.

Got stuck one day for a haircut and came across alans barbers in douglas. Its my regular place for a baz now.:cool: they do a top job and they're very friendly.

thanks, I'll give them a visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

Zombie thread will eat your brains....

I thought I'd dig this thread up rather than start a new one. Am thinking of changing barbers. Has anybody got an up to date recomendation for a place to get a good shave and a hair cut? Preferably outside the city centre with plenty of parking.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,899 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Just so happens I got my haircut in the barbers in Glanmire - Crestfield shopping centre. The barber there is very nice, while the women are friendly and full of chat.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

That could be handy - do they do hot towel shaves?

Didn't realise there was a shopping centre in Glanmire......

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Whos the best barber in the city centre and cheapest?

no_account wrote: »
    Zombie thread will eat your brains....

I thought I'd dig this thread up rather than start a new one. Am thinking of changing barbers. Has anybody got an up to date recomendation for a place to get a good shave and a hair cut? Preferably outside the city centre with plenty of parking.

always nice to see one of my old threads come back to life again...
    anyway, there is a new barbers in Mount Oval, decent prices too at 10 euro for an adult, a normal cut.
    I went there once and was happy with the job, plenty of parking too.

Lately I've started shaving my head myself, it's a much cheaper alternative and once people get over the fact that I won't commit a series of hate crimes it's a pretty good alternative :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

once people get over the fact that I won't commit a series of hate crimes it's a pretty good alternative :)

Don't get your hopes up as they never do, I've been a slap head for more than 12 years and people still think I'm a Neo Nazi.

I guess it could have something to do with the swastika tattoo on the back of my head....

Advertisement