Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gangs and the Special Criminal Court

Options
  • 17-04-2009 1:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭

I've just heard Dermot Ahern on RTE saying that a new offence is being introduced that will prohibit membership of a criminal gang. I would have thought, given our current difficulties in dealing with this problem, that this would have been an offence long ago, but anyhow...

But what he said got me thinking... He said that suspects charged with this new offence and other gangland related offences, will be tried before the Special Criminal Court, which is non-jury... Basically you have a jury made up of three judges and they hear your case and issue a verdict and sentence you or release you whichever the case may be.

Now, I'm just wondering has anyone actually stopped to think that these gangs have become so out of control, that it is not outside the bounds of possibility that they could start murdering judges who could be trying them, or members of the government who introduce new legislation to try them???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

I wouldn't be surprised if they do. Not that it would be a smart thing for them to do.

The only time the government will take any real action against these scum is if/when a judge/td/minister or member of their family is murdered as an act of intimidation or revenge. Ordinary civilians don't count.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Did the provos/INLA etc ever kill or try to kill a judge in the South? Can't remember any incidents, if thats the case I guess they thought it more trouble and it was worth.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

on a thread on the limerick city form there is mention of a td (current minister) who gave a charachter reference for a leading gang member, which resulted in a reduced jail sentance, if this is true then well go on say it for me. some time back i said that the gang leaders should be convicted on the word of a chief superintendant, also recieve the dole if he oked it, and finally recieved free legal aid at his discression. who in limerick or elsewhere is going to give evidence against gang members after last week, the supt from roxboro was looking for the publics help and information in the apprension of the killer of ray collins, yeah go on will ya.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Denis Irwin

About time this was brought in. Although I see the human rights groups were on 6.1 news this evening complaining that the rights of those poor aul gangsters are going to be infringed :rolleyes:. God love them I wonder what those lawyers had to say after Roy Collins was gunned down by those gangsters last week all because his cousin stood up to them. Probably nothing much as they were more than likely too busy making sure that the gangsters were not getting there hair ruffled by the Gardai. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

I've said this countless years on boards that the gangs hold power over communities in this land hence the genuine fear of witnesses coming forward to testify against the gangs.

About 11% of athe 171 gang related murders have lead to a conviction(most in Limerick, feck all in Dublin) and its about time the state recognised the serious threat from these gangs, 20 years too late imho.
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/0417/justice.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭realismpol

Darragh29 wrote: »
    I've just heard Dermot Ahern on RTE saying that a new offence is being introduced that will prohibit membership of a criminal gang. I would have thought, given our current difficulties in dealing with this problem, that this would have been an offence long ago, but anyhow...

But what he said got me thinking... He said that suspects charged with this new offence and other gangland related offences, will be tried before the Special Criminal Court, which is non-jury... Basically you have a jury made up of three judges and they hear your case and issue a verdict and sentence you or release you whichever the case may be.

Now, I'm just wondering has anyone actually stopped to think that these gangs have become so out of control, that it is not outside the bounds of possibility that they could start murdering judges who could be trying them, or members of the government who introduce new legislation to try them???

Yes and then the government would send in the ERU or ARW against them and have internment without trial. Think they would dare do that?. Not a chance. These are people who like to hide in the shadows and pick on innocent victims not have an all out firefight in which they would get slaughtered. They aint suicidal. This isn't iraq or mexico. If they do attempt to intimidate or murder judges which they won't then the governemnt would bring in the army against them and the last thing they would want is a few armoured personel carriers with automatic 50 cal weapons or fully trained soldiers at your front doorstep. Think the gangsters could take on the army too? Quit the paranoi and have some faith in the justice system. Stop assigning mythical status to gangsters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Basically you have a jury made up of three judges and they hear your case and issue a verdict and sentence you or release you whichever the case may be.

It doesn't have to be three judges. There are other people who can sit in this court.
    Can't remember them all but definitly army officers can be appointed to this court.
    In practice it isn't done though
    old boy wrote: »
    . some time back i said that the gang leaders should be convicted on the word of a chief superintendant,

I think this is already in place.
    What is happening here is you are using Offences against the State legislation which was drawn up to combat the IRA during the Emergency but now you are using it against gangs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

realismpol wrote: »
    Yes and then the government would send in the ERU or ARW against them and have internment without trial. Think they would dare do that?. Not a chance. These are people who like to hide in the shadows and pick on innocent victims not have an all out firefight in which they would get slaughtered. They aint suicidal. This isn't iraq or mexico. If they do attempt to intimidate or murder judges which they won't then the governemnt would bring in the army against them and the last thing they would want is a few armoured personel carriers with automatic 50 cal weapons or fully trained soldiers at your front doorstep. Think the gangsters could take on the army too? Quit the paranoi and have some faith in the justice system. Stop assigning mythical status to gangsters.

How do you know what gang figures out of their head on coke may ro may not do??? They shot a journalist a few years ago for writing a newspaper article, they shot an innocent man this month because HIS COUSIN gave evidence against some scumbag. It doesn't take a stretch of the imagination by any means to say that they could start targetting judges or politicians, or Gardai, in fact I'd argue that it's the next logical step in their strategy. What do you think they are going to do in all seriousness, just decide to disband when they find they are being convicted before the Special Criminal Court!?!?!

I haev absolutely no faith in the justice system and rightly so. Anyone that does I'd suggest is gullible in the extreme. If the justice system worked, you wouldn't see innocent people being blown to bits by these criminals. You wouldn't be seeing a 10% conviction rate for gangland murders and you wouldn't be seeing the capital city of the country completely overrun by heroin junkes and I can tell you after being in there yesterday that this is most certainly the case now. You can't walk ten steps down O' Connell Street or any street off O' Connell Street or along the quays now without junkie wasters falling on top of you. Don't come on here and tell me to have faith in the justice system, you haven't a clue what you are talking about.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭walrusgumble

mike65 wrote: »
    Did the provos/INLA etc ever kill or try to kill a judge in the South? Can't remember any incidents, if thats the case I guess they thought it more trouble and it was worth.

i think the nearest was the very nasty scare former chief justice tom o'higgins, former fine gael td, former presidential candidate and nepew of kevin o'higgins got when presiding over the extradition case of dominic mcglinchey of inla fame.

he along with other judges allowed for his extradition to the north. a short time later McGlinchey came again before the southern courts and the judge was put under immediate 24 hour heavy protection from armed gardai. the stress of it all (naturally) forced him to resign and take a post in the european courts. i am not saying their were attempts to kill him, but as far as i am aware, nearest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

.... Although I see the human rights groups were on 6.1 news this evening complaining that the rights of those poor aul gangsters are going to be infringed :rolleyes:....:

u may well have seen ... on the TV but u clearly did not listen.

the gripe is that the SCC will not stop intimidation: there was no mention of human rights infringement

• Advertisement

How do you know what gang figures out of their head on coke may ro may not do??? They shot a journalist a few years ago for writing a newspaper article, they shot an innocent man this month because HIS COUSIN gave evidence against some scumbag. It doesn't take a stretch of the imagination by any means to say that they could start targetting judges or politicians, or Gardai, in fact I'd argue that it's the next logical step in their strategy. What do you think they are going to do in all seriousness, just decide to disband when they find they are being convicted before the Special Criminal Court!?!?!

I haev absolutely no faith in the justice system and rightly so. Anyone that does I'd suggest is gullible in the extreme. If the justice system worked, you wouldn't see innocent people being blown to bits by these criminals. You wouldn't be seeing a 10% conviction rate for gangland murders and you wouldn't be seeing the capital city of the country completely overrun by heroin junkes and I can tell you after being in there yesterday that this is most certainly the case now. You can't walk ten steps down O' Connell Street or any street off O' Connell Street or along the quays now without junkie wasters falling on top of you. Don't come on here and tell me to have faith in the justice system, you haven't a clue what you are talking about.

the blame fails squarely on the politicans in the dail!!!!! they are the ones who write the legislation. they are the ones who are snapping and trying to censor any high court judge who dares to criticise the government in cases where resources etc are not available to treat the convict. the dailers are also the one who make provisions etc for the prisons. so when the next elections come up, i sincerely hope that is kept in mind

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

i think the nearest was the very nasty scare former chief justice tom o'higgins, former fine gael td, former presidential candidate and nepew of kevin o'higgins got when presiding over dominic mcglinchey of inla fame.

he along with other judges allowed for his extradition to the north. a short time later McGlinchey came before the courts and the judge was put under immediate 24 hour heavy protection from armed gardai. the stress of it all (naturally) forced him to resign and take a post in the european courts. i am not saying their were attempts to kill him, but as far as i am aware, nearest.

Paul Williams said recently a Dublin City based detective had to move to another station after he came out of his house to go to work one morning and a criminal had put bullets on his car windscreen to threaten him.

realismpol wrote: »

Nice one, you want the country to be turned into a Colombian style state with the army on the streets in various housing estates hence acting as a recruiting ground for the gangs.

Can you explain this faith please?
    About 11% of athe 171 gang related murders have lead to a conviction(most in Limerick, feck all in Dublin) and its about time the state recognised the serious threat from these gangs, 20 years too late imho.
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/0417/justice.html

• Registered Users Posts: 12,588 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Nice one, you want the country to be turned into a Colombian style state with the army on the streets in various housing estates hence acting as a recruiting ground for the gangs.

Whilst the amount of young wans with prams in these housing estates might give a misleading impression, the amount of scumbags is not infinite nor is their growth exponential. Id imagine the Army's ability to shoot/capture gang members would outstrip their ability to repopulate.

I am a little underwhelmed by this to be honest. Sounds like the usual babble the government comes out with in the aftermath of some fresh assault by gang member on law and order in this country. When the Gardai start picking up these guys en masse and jailing them indefinitly for gang membership based on their surveillance then perhaps it will be worth a second look.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

gurramok wrote: »

I'm not one for kneejerk reactions, especially to criminality. I'd feel that sending in ARW etc only ends up putting us on the same level as the gangs. If we start to compromise our democratic ideals in order to "lock people up" then thats a sad day.

Saying that though, I can have little faith also in the present justice system. What I really can't get my head around is that these gangs are named after the people who run them, we hear it on the news everyday. Is it a lack of PROPER resources that prevents the Gardai and the courts from taking action?

Do people feel that we need a special investigative wing of the Gardai/DPP to rot out this problem? Like a quasi-FBI? If we look to how the US tackled the mafia problem in the 80's and 90's this was more or less the approach they took.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,588 ✭✭✭✭Sand

If we start to compromise our democratic ideals in order to "lock people up" then thats a sad day.

Is it better to sacrifice our democratic ideals ( I believe the word here is misused but I "get" what you mean) than to compromise on them to preserve a society where citizens doing their duty in reporting crimes and assisting in achieving convictions in a court of law are not murdered or intimidated?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

Sand wrote: »
    Is it better to sacrifice our democratic ideals ( I believe the word here is misused but I "get" what you mean) than to compromise on them to preserve a society where citizens doing their duty in reporting crimes and assisting in achieving convictions in a court of law are not murdered or intimidated?

I would just suggest that there is way to bring these people 9and i use that term loosely) to justice, without infringing on the freedoms that make up our society.

I can understand the feeling that the best way to solve the problem is to round these people up build a big prison and keep them there in solitary confinement for the rest of their lives. Certainly some compromise will be needed. Allowing covert phone taps etc is moving down this road. I'd just caution that we must be careful how far down said road we go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

About time this is introduced, hopefully it'll have a real impact

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭ahara

Nice diatribe,

Shooting judges and gardai is the next logical step in their strategy? Can't walk ten steps down O'Connell Street without falling over 'heroin junkies'? You must have really long legs or just be very, very awkward.

This threads Joe Duffy award for ridiculously over the top ranting goes to......

Paul Williams said recently a Dublin City based detective had to move to another station after he came out of his house to go to work one morning and a criminal had put bullets on his car windscreen to threaten him.

the scary thing about stories like this is that this kind of thing has being going on in dublin from the days of the troubles to right up to now, and often we never know about it as the press are told to stay quiete, for genuine security reasons (so that, as you will note, not give publicity to those responsible)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭realismpol

Sure i can its called i've had enough of scumbags running around killing innocent people for no reason and then getting out of prison in less then 10 years on good behaviour or overcrowding etc. I've witnessed people literally laughing their way out of courts and at the gardai. Good enough for you?

Judges out of touch with reality, pathetic sentencing and ineffecient police tactics on crime is what has allowed this problem to manifest itself and create the ugly monster of crime we find ourselves faced with. We are at least 10 years too late with this proposed legislation. But its a step in the right direction and we'll see what becomes of it.

The army on the streets? Your misinterpreting the context of the why i was suggesting their presence was to be used.

I said if they attempted to murder or did murder judges they would bring the army in not just bring them in to tackle them for no reason willy nilly.

Criminals don't generally care for the law and they certainly don't care for our weak justice system which is a joke even by liberal countries standards i.e the u.k, netherlands etc. Armed criminals/gangs like to intimidate people by picking on innocent people who can't defend themselves. Thats why this country is in the mess its in. People are too busy worrying about the rights of poor little johnny scumbag who just killed an innocent victim and not the general publics right to live in peace.

You may not like it but a tough response to crime is the only way to control it and its proven. In saudi arabia the consequences of losing one's limbs from commiting a crime seems to have a strange effect on even the most determined criminal mind. I can just picture some of the scumbags transported over there. Lets gooooo wild sonnnn....next thing chop. What if they do this, what if they do that, what if, what if, what if. What if we stand up and do what we know is right then we won't be having this problem. If they want to take out judges, police etc (highly unlikely given their cowardly nature) then thats what they do. But in this country they won't because they know damn well what the reaction would be.

We need tough armed action and new laws brought in such as in the states 3 strikes and your out for minor crimes, in the case of proven murder it should be life automatically no deals on anything. Its tough but its the only way to teach these people who's boss much like you treat an unruly child or dog. If you let your a spoilt child run your affairs, or your dog run wild you can imagine the consequences. And thats what we've been doing for too long. Its simple and its the thing most law abiding citizens live by, go out get a job, live in peace with your fellow man, act like a civillised human being like the rest of us in public, maybe even become contributing members to society. Its not too much to ask for. If not and you want to stir trouble and murder innocent people, say hello to the soapy prison shower or the morgue.

Don't come on here and tell me to have faith in the justice system, you haven't a clue what you are talking about.

Yeah i know i heard failing all of the above they may be interested in acquiring nuclear technology and using it against us next.. So whats your solution? Just sit there and make these outlandish ideas in your head about how criminals i.e petty thugs with access to firearms have suddenly acquired superhuman powers and cunning intelligence to outwit every aspect of the states resources. Wait, wait.. I think i see your point...now i get it.. the crack cocaine gives them superhuman powers of speed and strength. Yeah, yeah that's it, now they can face down an entire squad of heavily armed police with this new found power.

According to you shooting judges and gardai is the next step in their logical strategy. In what way is that a logical strategy? And remember the important word here is 'logical'. That would be a strategy alright, one which would see the army called in, some 'ghetto cleansing' carried and their bodies dumped in a large heap somewhere to be identified by their next of kin. Not much of a strategy is it?, even for those hemmed out on coke. i think your understimating by a long shot the intelligence of these people. If you choose to stand and fight against highly trained eru or arw members you are either (a) extremely stupid (B) extremely stupid (c) extremely stupid. These people aren't starring in death wish starring charles bronson my friend, this is real life, warts and all. They people aren't suicide bombers ready to martyr themselves for a bag of coke. Get realistic will you. Its all about money. Show me your brave supervillian criminals willing to take on the police and army and i'll show you a body full of bullet hole's.

Just thinking... to be honest maybe its not that you haven't got faith in our justice system or laws being introduced, maybe its just a case of paranoid schizophrenia

• Registered Users Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Lockstep

Special criminal courts are pretty divisive for people.

On the one hand, it does appear to address the problem that intimidation of witnesses. On the other, it is fairly strange to have a special criminal court used on civilians.

IRRC, their use was heavily criticised by the UN.

THeir use to try paramilitaries or terrorists is a bit more understandable but I'm reluctant of the state removing someone's right to a trial by jury.

Special criminal courts are pretty divisive for people.

On the one hand, it does appear to address the problem that intimidation of witnesses. On the other, it is fairly strange to have a special criminal court used on civilians.

IRRC, their use was heavily criticised by the UN.

THeir use to try paramilitaries or terrorists is a bit more understandable but I'm reluctant of the state removing someone's right to a trial by jury.

Then how do you propose to safeguard juries and witnesses from gunmen who live in their communities?

Maybe bring back the witness protection programme en masse?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

mike65 wrote: »

The IRA would never kill a judge because it was against their rules of operation. They weren't allowed to attack any member of the Republic's security forces, assumedly would include judges.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

The IRA would never kill a judge because it was against their rules of operation. They weren't allowed to attack any member of the Republic's security forces, assumedly would include judges.

Tell that to Mrs Jerry Mc Cabe and the family of Recruit Garda gary Sheehan.

Criminals have no morals. They would shoot their own mother to escape.

Then how do you propose to safeguard juries and witnesses from gunmen who live in their communities?

Maybe bring back the witness protection programme en masse?
    Bog standard answer there. Although I fail to see how a lack of juries stop intimidation of witnesses.
    How about ways which don't erode our rights?

The Special Criminal Court was established to deal with the situation in Northern Ireland. These groups were a threat to the State. We don't have that situation anymore.

We're not the only country in the world with gang problems, and yet how many of them have juryless trials? We could adopt what they do such as video links from juries in remote locations.

Would you be happy with the opinion of the Chief Superintendant being enough for conviction?

Thats a very simplistic approach, it does not address the question of getting convictions.

They could start by not giving the defence the jurys details.

And what about the vital witnesses, how do we ensure their safety in the communities for when they testify?

Victims have rights too.

A video-linked/remote location trial takes away from convictions.....how?

I fail to see how the Special Criminal Court protects witnesses.

Yes victims have rights too, however, establishing a State with such powers runs the risk of leading to many more victims.

So you are thinking of the juries there. How do we make them anonymous and i dont mean video screening? I mean, how do we protect their personal details?

Afaik, the defence has a right to know who are on juries, that ain't much protection for the witness.

• Advertisement

So you are thinking of the juries there. How do we make them anonymous and i dont mean video screening? I mean, how do we protect their personal details?
    As you say, not releasing their details is a step in the right direction.

We could adopt anonymous juries, as in the States for exceptional circumstances.

[QUOTE=gurramok;59892481
    Afaik, the defence has a right to know who are on juries, that ain't much protection for the witness.[/QUOTE]
    Yes, and the SPC doesn't protect the witnesses any more than that.

Advertisement