Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

amazon seem to now ship electronics here?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭workaccount

Yep they now ship most electronics up to a certain weight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

I note however that they charge Irish VAT on purchases. The displayed price includes UK VAT, but Irish VAT will be charged for on the checkout. Presumably Amazon then pocket the difference or something. I won't be shopping there anytime soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I think if a company does enough business in an EU country they're supposed to charge the local vat rate. Not sure what the magic number is though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭City-Exile

They're not even that cheap, with the UK VAT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭trooney

I note however that they charge Irish VAT on purchases. The displayed price includes UK VAT, but Irish VAT will be charged for on the checkout. Presumably Amazon then pocket the difference or something. I won't be shopping there anytime soon.

Actually, they are registered for VAT in Ireland, so charge the current rate for ROI. They won't be pocketing it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

Stephen wrote: »
    I think if a company does enough business in an EU country they're supposed to charge the local vat rate. Not sure what the magic number is though.
    trooney wrote: »
    Actually, they are registered for VAT in Ireland, so charge the current rate for ROI. They won't be pocketing it.

Having done the minimum required reading on this I stand corrected. I was formerly under the impression that you always paid VAT at the rate of the country of origin. Seems that's not the case, as Stephen points out above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭DotOrg

as they are now registered for weee charges in Ireland, they must be officially trading in Ireland, therefore making them liable for Irish VAT

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

they;ve been shipping electronics to Ireland for a few weeks now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

I bought quite a bit off them yesterday and their expected delivery date is tuesday, the charges weren't too steep either.

However, one thing that I would mention is that you should most certainly not use their "Amazon Currency Conversion" which is offered at the checkout, the rate I got on it yesterday was over e100 more than the current rate on xe.com. I know retailers will sometimes offer this and pocket the difference between them as an extra money earner, but over 100 extra is far too steep. I think I'll trust my bank with the rate when it hits it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

the rate on xe.com is the raw conversion rate, you'd never ever get that rate from a bank. always at least a couple of points higher, that's where they make their money

• Advertisement

the rate on xe.com is the raw conversion rate, you'd never ever get that rate from a bank. always at least a couple of points higher, that's where they make their money
    Oh yeah obviously, but I think the banks rate is going to be a lot better than a retailer in general.

Similarly if you're a non-American and go shopping in the US, they'll tempt you into paying in Euro at the register and give you a horrible exchange rate and pad their back pockets a little further :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Never heard of the credit unions? :D;)

Rb wrote: »
    I bought quite a bit off them yesterday and their expected delivery date is tuesday, the charges weren't too steep either.

However, one thing that I would mention is that you should most certainly not use their "Amazon Currency Conversion" which is offered at the checkout, the rate I got on it yesterday was over e100 more than the current rate on xe.com. I know retailers will sometimes offer this and pocket the difference between them as an extra money earner, but over 100 extra is far too steep. I think I'll trust my bank with the rate when it hits it.

Just an update, this arrived today despite their updated emails saying it was expected for tomorrow. Everything was well packaged and in good condition.

Chuffed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 sallyb

Thats correct. The rate on XE is the data taken from deals averaging over £500,000 in any one day.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

DotOrg wrote: »
    as they are now registered for weee charges in Ireland, they must be officially trading in Ireland, therefore making them liable for Irish VAT

They have been registered for VAT in Ireland for donkeys years so that is nothing to do with the weee charges, it's just that when the weee charges came in they stopped shipping electronics to Ireland.

Advertisement