Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

potty training. tips for number 2

Options
  • 17-04-2009 2:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭

I have been potty training my daughter for about a month now and have just put knickers on her this week (she only wears a nappy at night till shes more confident) She has been doing really well and has only had one accident but she cant bring herself to doing a poo. It has been 3 days now since she has done one and i have given her milk of magnesia still nothing. I dont want to bring her to the gp as he will give her a suppository and I really dont want her to go through that again.
    Has anyone else had problems getting their toddler to use the potty to poo?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Does she normally do a poo when she wears a nappy?

If the pants are freaking her out, what about making your way there gradually, starting with those pull-up nappies that are halfway between knickers and nappies?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭di11on

My experience is that this change has a bigger psycological impact on the little creatures than we imagine.

I'd just put the nappy back on for a while and try again later. She mightn't be able to communicate properly what's going on, but I know the whole experience had quite an impact on our little one and we had to try several times.

The way I look at it, you do no harm by waiting, but you can cause problems by pressurising them when they're not ready.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

My daughter uses the potty to pass urine, but hands me a nappy when she wants to poo. I put it on her, she goes away for a few minutes then returns handing me the baby wipes :D
    She doesn't want to know yet about pooing in the potty, but I'm sure she'll eventually want to copy what her friends at the creche do.
    I haven't even thought about the "dry at night" yet!
    I'm pretty sure you daughter wants to wear a nappy for poos, and is holding back until she gets one.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

My son hated the toilet and couldn't figure out why we kept inflicting him to it until he actually peed. Now he goes there himself.

We have the same issue with the poop but we take the nappy and show him that we want him to poop in the toilet. So he knows you go there, but hasn't done it yet. Still grabbing nappies to do it.

Just takes time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Whatsnext

My DD is two and I've attempted the potty training but it doesn't seem to be registering just yet, so I'm going to wait (I think I'm more anxious about it that she is).
    Anyway was reading a book about it and apparently toddlers can see their poo as an extension of themselves (yuck, I know) and they don't like the idea of letting go of it so quickly as using the potty or toilet would mean. So maybe giving your DD the option of pooing in her nappy as Kelle's daughter does is an option. Better out that in...
    I think the whole potty training thing is really daunting and I'm interested in any tips at all people can offer.
    I tried the cold-turkey of just putting my DD in pants and seeing what happens, but despite knowing what the potty's for and having had it introduced to her almost from one year old, she just seems to have no idea of needing to pee and just does it on the carpet staring at you blankly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭di11on

Yeah, I've read that the little ones can get distressed when you flush it down the toilet - it's best to only do this a little while after the event when the child is not around untill they're comfortable with the whole thing.

It's a big thing for them - bigger than we think. The way I see it, who cares if they are 3.5 before they get it - if they're not interested, just leave it and try again in a month or so. We can cause more problems by getting anxious and excited about the whole thing when it's not necessary at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

We used bribery ( shameful but true )

1 sweet for pee
    Getting to watch Bob the Builder for a Number 2

We have now progressed to 2 sweets for a number 2 , after watching BTB started to

a) Get tiresome if you were in a hurry to go somewhere
    b) She was forcing a number 2 just to get to see Bob.

It worked pretty well

The first week was painful enough , you just have to push through .

Advertisement