Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Non/Multi-denominational schools in Macroom

• 17-04-2009 2:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

I would very much like to know if there such a thing as mixed non-denominational or mutli-denominational primary school in Macroom or surrounding area. If anyone can advise I'd appreciate it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

There are no non-denominational primary school in this country there are mutli-denominational schools which are patron by educate together.

So your best bet would be to check thier schools listing on thier web site.
    www.educatetogeter.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Whatsnext

So it would seem, I've been in contact with educate together, thanks.

It would appear that the more rural the town, the less choice you have about sending your children to catholic-run schools and therefore highlighting the non-catholic children.
    I would appreciate hearing from anyone else in the area whose children maybe attending a catholic school, but are not catholic. Do they participate in religion classes or can they opt out? Are they a tiny minority and feel isolated? Are they picked-on?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Whatsnext, I can only speak from my own experience. I have taught in many schools down the years and children who were not Catholics were never picked on by any body. If you do not want your child/children to take part in RE there is not a problem . The only difficulty I have ever seen was where a parent wasn't happy for the child to either sit at the back of class doing other work or going to another room , this was to do with logistics rather than religion, ie where would the child go and who would mind them.

Children sometimes feel a bit left out when the RC children are discussing what they will do on their confirmation/communion days but a prudent parent will make sure this is not too much of an issue. e.g arrange to do something "nice" that day or if your belief allowed it even sit in the church and meet all their friends after.

The days of the priest and blackthorn stick are well over, thankfully.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 870 ✭✭✭overmantle

I agree. Most large schools have children of many faiths and none. Most schools are very inclusive. Ireland is a very different and a more diverse place to the country it was when most of us parents were in school. You really need to rid this idea from your mind of the Parish Priest banging the cane on the desk on his weekly visit.
    Talk to the principals of some of your local schools. You might be surprised that you are not the only non RC parent in the school and believe me that the principal will more than likely have heard these kind of questions before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Whatsnext

byhookorbycrook, overmantle,

Thank you for your replies, they are comforting, I was a non-RC student when I was in school, but went to a COI school where the preparation for communion etc. did not take place at school, so that is why I presumed I never felt like an outsider. So it concerned me that maybe having to send my dd to a RC school she may be more aware of being different. Since my last posting I did speak to a couple of the schools in the area and am not so concerned anymore, as you say, it is up to the parent to make the child feel comfortable and I have no issue with my dd being present at classes, infact the more informed the better.
    Thanks again for your responses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 112 ✭✭Geog

I read this thread a few days ago. Your response to the posts is very sensible, Whatsnext. Good luck! Things will work out fine, I'm sure, with the healthy attitude you have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 safarigirl

Hi Whatsnext, I know you wrote this a couple of years back but is there any chance you could let me know what school you sent your child too? I live in Carrigadrohid down the road and non RC , Just wondering how the little one is getting on, in rc school when not rc if that is where you sent him thank you !

Advertisement