Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smelling alcohol off your breath

Options
  • 17-04-2009 4:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭

Just wondering, say if you were drinking vodka and diet coke for example, would it be easy for a sober person to notice that you have been drinking?

Also is chewing gum the best way to cover it up?

ps. this is coming from over 18 year old, so you don't have to worry about encouraging any "illegal activity"
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Pro-tip

The smell doesn't only come from the mouth. It comes from the esophagus and stomach too, so chewing gum or brushing teeth is pointless to hide the stink

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Yes, its a myth, if you have even a naggin with a mixer its entirely possible your breath will smell of alcohol to a sober person

Nick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Jimmy Carter

who doesn't like the smell of alcohol!:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

yea they would. the smell comes from alcohol in the blood stream being exhaled through the lungs (not from the oesophagus or stomach). ethanol is volatile.
    chewing gum is the best cover up.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

If you want to know what your breath smells like lick your wrist, leave it for 30 seconds and smell it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Birdie086

Personally I think its only a myth that Vodka doesnt smell. Dont breathe into a sober persons place or speak to them. Whan I was pregger I wnet out most Saturday nights but obviously wasnt drinking and could smell the drink off peoples breath a mile of. Bear im mind I could be completely wrong as sense of smell can heighten when preggers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

eat sh!t they wont smell the alcohol then!

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

When my friends and I used to go knacker drinking when we were 16 we used to spray deodorant into our mouths before our parents would pick us up :confused: Drastic times called for drunken measures!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭chamlis

I don't know about covering up drink, but by far the best way to cover up the smell of smokes was Monster Munch.

true story

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Kids today and their trends, in my day we didn't going around sniffing people...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

What are you talking about?

Everbody knows Vodka doesnt leave a smell :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭DanR

I don't think chewing gum covers it up but I used to go out with a girl many years ago who worked in a choclate shop and she swore that chocolate absords smells and therefore is the best cover up.

Works best for me.;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Never mind alcohol..drink meths..thats where its at.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Degsy wrote: »
    Never mind alcohol..drink meths..thats where its at.

It's crystal meth in a can!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

even if you only have one drink it can be smelled. cheesy doritos and lots of deodorant?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,193 ✭✭✭Turd Ferguson

If you leave vodka out overnight it goes bad

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Best drink it quick so.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

A packet of cheese and onion crisps used to do the trick. Works well until you fall up the stairs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭easyeason3

I like nothing more than getting hammered, leaving a bit in the glass so it's waiting for me in the morning for a nice refreshing gulp :rolleyes:

How do you know that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭JohnnyChimpo

When my friends and I used to go knacker drinking when we were 16 we used to spray deodorant into our mouths before our parents would pick us up :confused: Drastic times called for drunken measures!

just wanted to point out that following this advice has a good chance of killing you, and deodorants generally contain a fair amount of alcohol anyway! :confused:

• Advertisement

easyeason3 wrote: »
    How do you know that?

Lucille Bluth told me

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

thats the most retarded funniest thing ive ever heard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

Sadly, it took me years, but I found out there's only one way to avoid the smell of alcohol from your breath - don't drink any!

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭DS

Just drink Hennigans. Afterwards you don't even smell. That's right folks. I just had three shots of Hennigans and I don't smell. Imagine, you can walk around drunk all day. That's Hennigans, the no-smell, no-tell, scotch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Tuck your shirt back in, zip up your fly, wipe your shoe and have a Kebab. Nobody will notice.

DS wrote: »
    Just drink Hennigans. Afterwards you don't even smell. That's right folks. I just had three shots of Hennigans and I don't smell. Imagine, you can walk around drunk all day. That's Hennigans, the no-smell, no-tell, scotch.

I wish I could give more than 1 thanks :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭tony1kenobi

Lucille Bluth told me

She really doesn't care for Gob.............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Hazys wrote: »
    What are you talking about?

Everbody knows Vodka doesnt leave a smell :confused:

Yeah sure the wee drunk one in the ad said it, must be true.

Just smoke a lot to cover it up. OP, why do you need to know exactly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

Alcoholic breath is right up there with the smell of petrol :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Gear9992

Yeah sure the wee drunk one in the ad said it, must be true.

Just smoke a lot to cover it up. OP, why do you need to know exactly?

Well my 17 old cousin going into an under 18s disco where the bouncers smelt his breath, could smell that he was drinking. He was drinking beer to the best of my knowledge so he was wondering if he would be caught if he drank vodka

Advertisement