Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Balsamic Vinegar

• 17-04-2009 4:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 984 ✭✭✭

Can anyone recommend a good or great balsamic vinegar? I see there is a multitude of different ones available in Dublin, but it would get expensive pretty fast trying to find a winner.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭antoniosicily

balsamic vinegar from modena, it's a protected denomination, probably Sheridan's has it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 984 ✭✭✭cozmik

balsamic vinegar from modena, it's a protected denomination, probably Sheridan's has it

Which brand do you favour?

I got amazing Balsamic the last time Lidl had an Italian week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Belazu - I think you will have to part with 15 to 20 yoyos to get a bottle if you can find it. Thick, syrupy and with a huge depth of flavour.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭faigs

I don't really know how to cook with it properly to appreciate the flavours, anyone got any tips or recipes? I know its great with red onion and tomato salad!

• Advertisement

faigs wrote: »
    I don't really know how to cook with it properly to appreciate the flavours, anyone got any tips or recipes? I know its great with red onion and tomato salad!

What's the point of cooking with vinegar?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭broin

... what's the point of cooking with vinegar? I don't even understand how that question could be asked. It's an ingredient.

You can use a splash in some pasta sauces, counterbalanced with brown sugar.

Reduce it and sprinkle on bruschetta.

Or reduce it and sprinkle on ice-cream. Or apple pie.

broin wrote: »
    ... what's the point of cooking with vinegar? I don't even understand how that question could be asked. It's an ingredient.

You can use a splash in some pasta sauces, counterbalanced with brown sugar.

Reduce it and sprinkle on bruschetta.

Or reduce it and sprinkle on ice-cream. Or apple pie.

balsamic vinegar is already reduced, actually it's a reduction itself (not like the normal vinegar); it's the first time that I hear that vinegar is used to make a pasta sauce, but anyway...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭broin

First time? Well, here's ~237 recipes involcing balsamic. Plenty involving pasta sauces and whatnot.

http://www.epicurious.com/tools/searchresults?search=balsamic&x=0&y=0

Reducing it further so you can use it as a syrup or glaze is also good. Sainsbury's sell it, so it must be ok. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Berbatov

You could try Jamie Olivers pepper and chilli chutney which uses balsamic vinegar to preserve the peppers and chillis. It should be on his website, if you want me to post the recipe let me know, it's fab

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 984 ✭✭✭cozmik

broin wrote: »

In fairness, I think antoniosicily was talking about traditional balsamic vinegar in which there is only one ingredient grape must.
    With a few exceptions, the main rule is to use it uncooked, adding it to dishes at the last moment in order to savour it to the full, without wasting any of its wealth of fragrances and tastes.

Source: Manicardi

Advertisement