Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sligo Rovers......Ladies Team

Options
  • 17-04-2009 4:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭

Did anyone else hear this rumour?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭bobcar61

Yep but I don't think it's a rumour. Wonder if they would have a good team or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭darealtulip

Can't wait for the shirt swap after the match!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭garth-marenghi

Seen some of the ladies players at one of the home games with buckets looking for donations towards the team. Think its a really good initiative. Will hopefully attract a new generation of young fans for the club.
    I know that at one of the local schools a few of the Rovers senior players are coming in regularly to do training sessions with the students and are getting a really good turnout. It definitely bodes well for the future and reaffirms what a local team should be about in that they are seen to be a part of active and inclusive in the community. Fair play Rovers:)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

What a fantastic idea!

Seen some of the ladies players at one of the home games with buckets looking for donations towards the team.

maybe they can pack bags at the local shops??:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

maybe they can pack bags at the local shops??:D

If they do it topless, they'll make a small fortune and you won't hear many people complaining about how badly their bags were packed. :D

Topless bucket collections and shirt swaps aside (some of those involved are schoolgirls btw:() anyone have anything else to say about what I feel is a really positive and worthwhile initiative. This scheme if supported and successful will contribute to the general fitness of young women, provide a social outlet (keep them off the streets, give them something to do etc) and activity for the participants, their families and the public.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,893 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Ahhh here lads.. this is getting all a bit sexist!

I'm disgusted at some of the comments being made here..

... ah, but seriously.. "wimmin" playing football. That'll never work!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tuppence

Men taking womens' sport seriously seems to be the biggest challenge so far......

and I take sexyism very seriously as well!! very offended by that remark!

Love watching woman tennis and I hate tennis!

And no I did not write sexyism wrong.

• Advertisement

tuppence wrote: »
    Men taking womens' sport seriously seems to be the biggest challenge so far......

As above....:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 43,893 ✭✭✭✭Basq

As above....:rolleyes:
    Yeah.. we got it the first time.

It's all in jest!

basquille wrote: »
    Yeah.. we got it the first time.

It's all in jest!

Delighted to hear it! Best tell the rest! ;):D

The Third Annual fundraiser for the Blathnaid Foley Trust Fund will take place at Sean Fallon Park on Monday May 25th when the Sligo Rovers Ladies squad will field two teams to compete for the Blathnaid Foley Perpetual Shield. The game kicks off at 6.30 and will be followed by a match between the Dunnes Stores and Quayside Shopping centre teams who will compete for the Jimmy Callaghan Perpetual trophy. (todays Sligo Champion)
    There doesnt seem to be any info about tickets etc at the minute so keep your eyes peeled:).

Here is some backround information about the Blathnaid Foley Trust and its efforts to raise money for research into Bone cancer and Ewings Sarcoma as well as contributing to a patients comfort fund (among other things). Looks like a very good cause.
    http://www.bftrust.org/index.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

I think Sligo Rovers are doing a great job with regards to developing womens football. They have been coaching around the ursline and I think the mercy as well which is a great free service.

I think Sligo Rovers are doing a great job with regards to developing womens football. They have been coaching around the ursline and I think the mercy as well which is a great free service.
    Yes they are very progressive, they have been doing anti racist stuff i think round the schools as well. They are fairly well grounded n the community which is great to see. :)

Sligo Rovers Ladies first competitive game takes place this week according to the weekender. Its against Castlebar Celtic in the WFAI Intermediate Cup this Sunday at 2pm. It takes place in Merville. (the community centre across from the showgrounds for those looking for directions;))
    Hopefully two cup wins this week for the Bit O Red

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 BestyBaby

Em Yaa Rovers do av a ladies team. actually we just won 9-1 against Dunmore Town. I play for them see. And it would do well for lads to remember that women cannn actually play football, and alot of us can play it better than ye. so a bit of support wouldnt go astray :p

Didn't Sligo get trashed though by the Castlebar team, 8-1 or something?

Can women spell?:D:D

ya well i dunno i wasnt playin then cuz i was still in england init lol
    yesss women can spell i just cand be arsed to ... :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Well incase you didn't read the charter it says "txt speak is highly discouraged". And that's a rule all across boards.

How many goals did you score against Dunmore Town? Are you saying the reason Sligo Ladies lost to Castlebar Celtic is because you were not playing?

okaaay chill, i'll type properly. jeez lol

i scored one and set up 5 playing in a position i never have before in my life
    and of course i am not saying that. if u read it again it says....i do not know....cause i was in a different country :P
    but seriously thhe team is actually pretty decent. that game you were on about was the first game they ever played together, if you dont make mistakes, you cant learn from them :)

It's not me giving out to you, it the rules of boards. If I didn't say it someone else would have.

I'm not saying Sligo ladies are a bad team, just need to build up some experience playing together as a team.

okaaaayyyy :rolleyes:
    ya we do. its a bit obvious but its kinda hard when noone can get off work to try and get every1 to train and blah blah blah. the usual reasons ya no

Shiven Rovers 1 - Sligo Rovers 1

Should have scored more to be fair; had a good few decent chances. The referee was extraordinarily biased and didnt help much.

sum team that name i forget 1 - 6 sligo rovers

Goals - dana (2), colleen (2) & amber (2)

not many games as most teams dont want to travel to sligo to play us :( which is so stupid!

looks like we're heading for the play offs any way :D

The sligo rovers ladies will be floating about the opening of the new strandhill soccer pitches on sunday from 2.30pm. bouncy castles.... 3 legged races... etc

BestyBaby wrote: »
    sum team that name i forget 1 - 6 sligo rovers

Goals - dana (2), colleen (2) & amber (2)

not many games as most teams dont want to travel to sligo to play us :( which is so stupid!

looks like we're heading for the play offs any way :D

The sligo rovers ladies will be floating about the opening of the new strandhill soccer pitches on sunday from 2.30pm. bouncy castles.... 3 legged races... etc

Thanks for keeping us briefed on how ye are getting on. We badly need some good news stories as the lads have been so poor of late. :(
    I know but we will still support them. :)

Thanks for keeping us briefed on how ye are getting on. We badly need some good news stories as the lads have been so poor of late. :(
    I know but we will still support them. :)

lol. thats okay. to be fair good result in the cup v derry. i suppose i should say cheers to all those who gave money to us when we were fundraising at that game :cool: legends.

okayyy so i kinda was away on international 4 ages but
    ya

back at the weekend...
    we were playing in our Owwwnnn semi final (like the men lol) on sunday
    we won 9-0
    happy out

final is in a few weeks :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement