Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Frogs in Fish Tank

Options
  • 17-04-2009 4:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21

Hi

I have a 32 litre fresh water tank but recently a couple of people have asked me do I have any frogs in it. I didnt think that I would be able to include them in such a tank can anyone shed some light on this for me as they seem pretty adament its possible.

Thinking it'd be kinda cool to get an aul frog in there

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Aru

its illegal to catch wild frogs or tadpoles now without a license..i think its because there listed as a protected native species(dats why you dnt see them in schools anymore)
    so keeping them in a fish tank is a bad idea plus they need a specific diet that is hard to copy in an enclosed setting..
    if your talking about captive breed frogs you can either get the tropical frog and all the equitment it needs(humidity monitor, heat mat etc)and set up your tank as it vevarium
    or there is a new trend of pet shops selling albino newt like frog to keep in a tropical aquarium but like all frogs they need a specific diet(fish food wont do) and so arent really suitable to be kept in a community aquarium...

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Wolfsberg

Not really Aru...
    Albino frogs are fine to keep in a suitable community aquarium, you can suppliment their diet with something like a worm based live food, feeding a pellet food like "New Life Spectrum" is fine... and all your community fish will eat this. It is not a new trend either, they have been for sale in even the most basic of aquatic and pet stores for as long as I have been keeping fish (about 17 years).

Atreyu...
    These frogs won't be suitable for your tank if it is a cold water setup, I would also be of the opinion that your tank is a bit on the small side at 32L.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭bigpinkelephant

Hi,
    You can get African Dwarf frogs in most pet shops (can be greeny brown or albino).
    Unlike most frogs, they don't need a land/water setup, they live purely underwater. You can feed them freeze-dried worms and they get on well in community tank- mine lived with rosy barbs, neon tetras, glowlight tetras, guppies etc and no problems.
    They're nice little fellas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭marko91

we used 2 go frog catching in terenure a few years ago...i loved it:)id love to have a tank like u and keep a few frogs and especialy tadpoles and see them turn into frogs:)i duno how ibg ur tank would have to be for them to survive but as a kid i used 2 set them free in my back garden:rolleyes:....only months later be out my back and see 1 way fully grown...this was without a pond or anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Atreyu

Thanks for the info guys might look into it a bit more now
    Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Senor Willy

Just remember that African Clawed Frogs will eat anything that they can fit into their mouths. I kept them for years and they get fairly big. About the size of an average mans hand.
    Large fish will also bully them and eat them.

Advertisement