Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First Active Mortgage rate so high

Options
  • 17-04-2009 5:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭

I have a mortgage with First Active and the fixed term is about to expire however their variable rate is 4.2% where I can get 2.5% from others. Does anyone know why they are doing this to their customers? on 100,000 that is an extra E80 a month or almsot 15,000 over the term of the mortgage? Anyone know why they are forcing their customers away

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,995 ✭✭✭3DataModem

IrishTonyO wrote: »
    I have a mortgage with First Active and the fixed term is about to expire however their variable rate is 4.2% where I can get 2.5% from others. Does anyone know why they are doing this to their customers? on 100,000 that is an extra E80 a month or almsot 15,000 over the term of the mortgage? Anyone know why they are forcing their customers away

Because they have estimated how many customers would leave, and feel 4.2% is the optimum rate from a profitability point of view.

Because they know lots of people can't refinance with another bank due to negative equity, so are forced to stay.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

I`ve just moved from them to Halifax for that very reason, although my LTV is less than 50%.

Move away from them if you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭IrishTonyO

Adox how much did it cost you moving, my ltv is also less than 50%

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

IrishTonyO wrote: »
    Adox how much did it cost you moving, my ltv is also less than 50%

It cost me nothing. Halifax will either pay €1000 towards your legal fees if using your own solicitor, or they will appoint a solicitors firm that they use(the option I took) and they cover that cost in full.

I paid a valuation fee of €130 which was refunded by Halifax once I had drawn the money down, so basically it cost me nothing to switch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭IrishTonyO

Cheers Adox thanks, reckon I'll give Halifax a call. When I called First Active the guy said their rates were out of a line and I could transfer and he even offered to give me the name of a solicitor to do it for me????

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭bobbbb

Think of First Active as Rip-Off republic. Shop around :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

First Active are owned by Ulster Bank who in turn are owned by RBS. It's no great suprise that they are trying to extract as much as possible from their loan book.

Advertisement