Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple tree - moving?

Options
  • 17-04-2009 5:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭

I want to move my apple trees (small - only planted last year!). Is it too late in the year to move them? If not - what precautions should I take and any other advice?

Thanks,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭dardevle

best time to move an apple tree is in the dormant period much later in the year(dec-feb)...when you say planted last year do you know how old they are?did they produce any fruit ever? have they got any fruit buds/flowers this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭twenty8

Not sure how old - but only about 3 ft in height. No fruit last year - but have buds etc this year so hoping to get something this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 red-demon

You're supposed to transplant before it buds

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭dardevle

at only 3ft high i would think that its a fairly young tree..3 years old or so, at this stage it will be making mostly leaf buds with just a few fruit buds and won't produce much in the way of fruit(maybe 1 or2 apples).best left alone for now, just make sure they are well staked and protected from hares and rabbits and the like, that love to attack young bark....most of the work ahead e.g.moving and pruning will be in the dormant season/before next spring.

Advertisement