Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hey FineGael.org, the BBC called, they want their design back.

Options

Comments

_45343195_breaking_226x170_146x110.gifdefault-news.jpg

I do prefer the finegael breaking news image though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Blatant rip off for sure.. at first I thought it was a pre-made CMS - But the BBC site designer has confirmed it's a rip off.

As much as I hate Fine Gael, I'd say this is probably down to the web-site designer taking short-cuts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭NickNolte

Not only is it a rip-off, the code is actually stolen. You won't believe this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭lostprophetsie

That's actually crazy the only obvious difference is the terrible font FG is using!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,872 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Click the 'Edit' button on the main menu on the FG site and click the 'Add more to this page' button on the BBC page.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Pixelcraft

can't beleive they havn't taken it down already. How long till it makes the news?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

BBC did a better job anyway. The new Fine Gael website is ****e. Its plain, terrible choice of colours, looks very basic etc. I was told before it was launched that it was supposedly "excellent".

The Finna Fail website is much much better and was at least done by a professional design company. Hell, as much as it pains me to say it, Sinn Feins website is better.

I cant see this making the news either. Its hardly ground breaking news story! Half of the people would be clueless if it went out.

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Hah, I love it, they've removed the edit buttons and the reasonably nifty functionality of the BBC site; it's slowly becoming about as creative and functional as a dreamweaver template.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

CuLT wrote: »
    Hah, I love it, they've removed the edit buttons and the reasonably nifty functionality of the BBC site; it's slowly becoming about as creative and functional as a dreamweaver template.

Is it just me or is the design and layout poor in addition to the "lets run with a BBC type site, with their code!"

• Advertisement

Sully wrote: »
    Its hardly ground breaking news story! Half of the people would be clueless if it went out.

One of the largest political parties in Ireland stealing intellectual property from the largest broadcasting company in the UK? I'd say that was fairly newsworthy alright! People don't need to understand the minutiae to know that theft it theft and on this scale, it's a scandal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭kevteljeur

What I'd like to know is if the BBC will take any action over this. It's actually a nightmare for web developers (I do this for a living) to find that your code has been ripped off. And badly!

I hope they get spanked. There's no excuse for that what so ever.

On a slightly related note, I was disgusted at Fianna Fail moving their site and hosting to the US. It's normal to get as competitive a rate as you can, but if you're the current political power telling everyone else to 'Buy Irish'...

Edit: I can tell you who would enjoy running a story on this: Our very own RTE! In all seriousness, it's the sort of media and political distraction that gives everyone something else to think about for a day. Anyone here from our own media powerhouse? ;)

the job was posted on getafreelancer.com apparently so, they can play dumb somewhat. Where's Aaarrrgghh defending outsourcing now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 647 ✭✭✭fintan

Outsourced for $1,000 on get a freelancer, complete rip-off of the BBC, it doesn't even render properly on my screen, my goodness, what a bunch of numpties.

I'll volunteer my services to FG for free, as they are obviously in desperate need of some help.

PM me

Cheers

Fintan

fintan wrote: »
    I'll volunteer my services to FG for free

That cheapens this industry more than ripping off people's designs/code ever could.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Pixelcraft wrote: »
    Where's Aaarrrgghh defending outsourcing now!

You really think ripping off people's design is restricted to outsourcing? ;)

This story is hilarious. Fine Gael are so incompetent.

AARRRGH wrote: »
    Fine Gael are so incompetent.

More so whoever was in charge of this, was incompetent. I wouldn't lay blame with the whole party. Just yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭henbane

FG passing someone else's sh→t off as their own shocker! Who'da thunk it?

AARRRGH wrote: »
    You really think ripping off people's design is restricted to outsourcing? ;).

True, it's not, but it is the second case of this in 2 weeks resulting from an outsource or bidding website

• Closed Accounts Posts: 647 ✭✭✭fintan

NickNolte wrote: »
    That cheapens this industry more than ripping off people's designs/code ever could.

Easy tiger, I had no intention of building a website for free, however, they obviously need some advice as to how handle online marketing projects, which is what I was offering.

Anyway, lots of people donate free time / work to political parties and charities all the time, so I don't see how it cheapens anything.

• Advertisement

henbane wrote: »
    FG passing someone else's sh→t off as their own shocker! Who'da thunk it?

Id have said that about FF, not FG tbh.

Anyway, this was covered in the Sunday Times today. Basically, FG denied it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Id have said that about FF, not FG tbh.

Do you have a link to the article?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

That BBC design is about as bland and template-like as I've seen. No wonder someone thought it would be safe to rip it off.

How on earth someone can blame FG at this stage is beyond me.

eoin wrote: »
    That BBC design is about as bland and template-like as I've seen. No wonder someone thought it would be safe to rip it off.

It does what it does very well though. Not every site has to be a creative masterpiece, provided it does a good job of delivering information well.

They can deny it all they want, the proof is there. It's not like it's a subjective matter where the site 'kind of looks the same'. They actually stole the code from the BBC site!

There's not much else that can be said.

blacknight wrote: »
    Do you have a link to the article?

Afraid not, doesnt seem to be on the website. I read the printed edition which is no longer in my posession. Ill see if I can get a copy and scan it.

I wouldnt say they "look" the same (bar the movable sections and two other minor things) but code wise if you compare they are identical. Plus if you look at the Freelancer link, they asked for it to be based on BBC and your average player on that site will probably do a direct copy. Especially at that price.

Personally, I think the design is simply awful. There is no colour in it at all. Very plain, grey and "boring" if I may say. But ripping code word for word is a different ball game.
    NickNolte wrote: »
    They can deny it all they want, the proof is there. It's not like it's a subjective matter where the site 'kind of looks the same'. They actually stole the code from the BBC site!

There's not much else that can be said.

Oh I know, I agree with you and the article. I cant defend FG for this at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

I might add that the FG site is a really bad rip off of the BBC site - they took the code, got rid of the good stuff, changed colors and font and put it back up.

Look at how articles are displayed in the FG website - it's a really bad way to display an article.

Plus the content on the site is poor, and there's no 'as Gaeilge' option...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Pub07

This incident really makes Fine Gael look like a half arsed organisation. How they thought they'd get away with this I don't know.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,872 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭dingbat

If, in college or as part of your job, you copied somebody else's work/product, made a few half-assed changes and submitted the "finished" product as your own work, you'd be done for plagiarism/copyright infringement.

It's that simple.

Advertisement