Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hey FineGael.org, the BBC called, they want their design back.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

dingbat wrote: »
    If, in college or as part of your job, you copied somebody else's work/product, made a few half-assed changes and submitted the "finished" product as your own work, you'd be done for plagiarism/copyright infringement.

It's that simple.

I wasn't sure at that stage if they had just commissioned the site, and it was the design company's fault.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭NickNolte

eoin wrote: »
    I wasn't sure at that stage if they had just commissioned the site, and it was the design company's fault.

All FG need to do is to remove the site and get it re-designed and re-developed - hopefully by a professional this time around. They'll probably just receive a DCMA takedown notice from the BBC without threat of any legal action. If they're the site administrators and they leave it up there though, it's their fault and they'll probably get sued.

The only options open to FG at this point are 1) to take the site down and 2) to sue the original developer. Considering he's probably on the other side of the world and he did the site for $1000 though, that's probably not going to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

NickNolte wrote: »
    They'll probably just receive a DCMA takedown notice from the BBC without threat of any legal action.
    The DMCA is US law, doesn't really apply here.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I spoke today with someone in FG about this. Apparently the website was done "in house" and only part of it was "outsourced". They were given a brief before the website went live discussing it. The FineGael.org was apparently only temporary while the .ie was being used.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,872 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Thats the same spin that was in Enda Kenny's speech a week ago.
    Personally, I don't believe it!

• Advertisement

Sully wrote: »
    I spoke today with someone in FG about this. Apparently the website was done "in house" and only part of it was "outsourced". They were given a brief before the website went live discussing it. The FineGael.org was apparently only temporary while the .ie was being used.

It doesn't matter. Fine Gael still stole.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭di11on

Holy TimesNewRoman Batman!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

Sorry to drag this back from Pg3 (still no good pics though)

Just wondering if FG have released a statement on the site or anything?

This is the answer I got on P.ie!:
    "Here kid dont call me petty, your the one pulling a hissy fit over a non issue. All the sites from the parties look like something else. They are political parties, not marketing companies. Why would they be arsed making a statement over this? Anyone who complains, would be the kind of idiot that wouldnt vote for them anyway."

Cliste wrote: »
    Sorry to drag this back from Pg3 (still no good pics though)

Just wondering if FG have released a statement on the site or anything?

This is the answer I got on P.ie!:
    "Here kid dont call me petty, your the one pulling a hissy fit over a non issue. All the sites from the parties look like something else. They are political parties, not marketing companies. Why would they be arsed making a statement over this? Anyone who complains, would be the kind of idiot that wouldnt vote for them anyway."

It wasn't just the visual design. The source code was directly stolen and used as well so Fine Gael are, without a doubt, guilty of Intellectual Property theft. A fairly serious crime it has to be said. I know that since this all came to light, they changed their CSS class names and the format of the code in order to make it look different and, probably, avoid a legal battle with the BBC.

Fine Gael have broken a law which is an affront to any person working in Web design and development. I'll never vote for them. I hardly think that makes me an idiot though. I just don't want ignorant criminals running this country. Anyway, I hope that the vitriolic online defence campaign by junior Fine Gael ministers works out for them and they endear themselves to even more Irish people. Because as we all know, everyone loves Fine Gael. Pity they can't just make a public statement about the circumstances that led to their theft.

What next? The Labour Party downloading albums from Soulseek?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

So is that it? One short srticle in the Times, and nothing else? Seems like they got off easy I'll be waiting for FG when they come a knocking!

And don't worry you're not an idiot!

• Advertisement

So is that it? One short srticle in the Times, and nothing else? Seems like they got off easy I'll be waiting for FG when they come a knocking!

Yeah. They got away very lightly. Amazed the media (or the BBC) didn't make more of a fuss about it to be honest.
    And don't worry you're not an idiot!

Aw jeez, thanks.

Advertisement