Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The new Fine Gael website is a bad ripoff of the BBC website - a new thread

Options
  • 17-04-2009 5:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭

Apologies for not including (in the original thread) any further comment than a clear implication that I thought there were "similarities" between the two sites. To that end, I include more detailed comment in this new thread. Apologies to GuanYin (mod), but I really had no idea that one was not allowed to start a thread in that fashion.

Now, on to regular programming... :)

A political party's website should be at the centre of their digital communciation strategy, it being a form of communication that is rapidly growing in importance. We would discuss campaign messages, speeches, interviews and fly posters - a party website should be no different.

Three general problems with the site:

1) It is a blatant ripoff of the BBC website. There are BBC artifacts lying all over it. This is at best bad form, at worst a copyright infringement.

2) It looks absolutely terrible. Fonts are the most obvious flaw, but keep looking and anybody can find things that are simply irritating.

3) It doesn't work. Seriously. Start clicking a few things and it soon breaks down.

After viewing this "effort", how would anybody believe Fine Gael could run the country effectively when they can't even put a website together effectively?

Full disclosure - I'm actually a regular Fine Gael voter. I've sent them an email myself to tell them what a hames they've made of it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Thread about it here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055541404

And yes, the site is shíte.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭dingbat

dlofnep wrote: »
    Thread about it here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055541404

And yes, the site is shíte.
    Thank you for the link.

I'd still be interested in examining the political/communications aspect of this. As somebody with a background in both design/usability as well as PR, it is fascinating to me that people who's livelihood depends on such things actually got it so badly wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭elshambo

If FG get into power does their website mean its open season with regard to downloading stuff/ ripping people off as any good lawyer could use the ruling parties own website as precedent:confused::rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

dingbat wrote: »
    After viewing this "effort", how would anybody believe Fine Gael could run the country effectively when they can't even put a website together effectively?

Well to be honest, if any party were to make a commitment to imitate another EU country they would probably get my vote!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭dave-higgz

It's a website theme. Lots of different websites use the same looks. There's so many they're running out of designs.

To return this to the politics forum, anyone look at Enda Kenny's video. Obama style, much like Cowen's attempt. At least they have the sound right and the camera centered :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

dave-higgz wrote: »
    It's a website theme. Lots of different websites use the same looks. There's so many they're running out of designs.

Erm not really, the freelance designer actually copied and pasted the BBC css file as well as some of the graphics. That is lot more than the "same looks", thats downright plagiarism.

That thread in web dev and design has an excellent link to a blog where both FG rep and a designer with the BBC make comments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭weiss

For a national party, the design is embarassing.

Looks like the "designer" took a snapshot of BBC site and sliced it up in photoshop..looks terrible.

I realise there is a recession, but surely FG could have found someone to design their site a bit better, or is this a joke?

I mean, is it really a FG site? or someone having a joke on us?

weiss wrote: »
    For a national party, the design is embarassing.

Looks like the "designer" took a snapshot of BBC site and sliced it up in photoshop..looks terrible.

I realise there is a recession, but surely FG could have found someone to design their site a bit better, or is this a joke?

I mean, is it really a FG site? or someone having a joke on us?
    No, it's deadly serious. They actually took a copy of the BBC site, literally, took a copy of it, then changed the wording and some of the fonts and never actually checked to see if it worked properly. It's embarrassing, and doesn't reflect well on their communications strategy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Where's the sport?

• Advertisement

mike65 wrote: »
    Where's the sport?
    You might laugh, but a previous version still had the "Weather" section on it...

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭Fluffybums

Well maybe they are trying to show that they can save money. Bet FF site is all bells and whistles and cost an arm and a leg and a few dig outs:D. Must go and have a look.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭nuttz

Fluffybums wrote: »
    Well maybe they are trying to show that they can save money. Bet FF site is all bells and whistles and cost an arm and a leg and a few dig outs:D. Must go and have a look.

I literally laughed at your first sentence, by inviting copyright infringement???

At least the FF site has valid links.

Still laughing...

As previously mentioned, their site is an embarassement to a national political party, which in my opinion represents how out of touch they are.

There is no defence to uploading that site.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭parasite

can one even register on the site to avail of all those edit buttons ?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,824 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Isit worth complaining to ripoff.ie? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭nuttz

kbannon wrote: »
    Isit worth complaining to ripoff.ie? :D

There are javascript libraries present on the FG site that were blatantly copied from the BBC and god knows what else they have changed since this was brought to their notice. This is laughably amateur, lacking any impression of competence in the work carried out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The edit button has gorn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

is the fact that they sent out press release criticising fianna fail for not using irish resources for their website, and boast about the irishness of their website in the press launch, thats what make it so bad from political point of view.

Advertisement