Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommendations for Laser hair loss

Options
  • 17-04-2009 7:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭

A lady friend of mine confided in me that she wants to loose her 'tache (very slight I have to say) but doesn't know where to go about it.

Any recommendations for clinics?

Please don't post any negative comments up about individual clinics...boards legal bills are high enough!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭kizzyr

Laser hair removal on the face won't ever be permanent. This is because facial hair is connected to hormones so if your friend goes on/ comes off the Pill, changes her Pill, becomes pregnant, goes through the menopause etc, it will affect facial hair. Paying lots of money for laser on this area would be a waste of money. I've had laser on my legs, bikini area and underarms very successfully but was told not to spend money on facial areas for this very reason.
    I'd advise your friend to try threading. Its quick, a little painful but over so soon its worth it and its also inexpensive. There is a place in the Blanchardstown Centre that does it, I think it costs €20 for upper lip and eyebrows.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭sadista

Sorry for going off topic but how much did it cost you for the three areas? I'm going for consultation on Monday to Dundrum clinic but I havent the slightest clue how much it will cost. Can you give me an indication?

sadista wrote: »
    Sorry for going off topic but how much did it cost you for the three areas? I'm going for consultation on Monday to Dundrum clinic but I havent the slightest clue how much it will cost. Can you give me an indication?

Its not cheap. For all three areas I paid €3000 or so. This covered six sessions which was enough on my bikini area and upper legs. I needed to get another 3 on my lower legs and underarms which cost €65 per session for both.
    I know this was a lot of money to spend but it has been very successful for me. The success was helped by the fact that I am very pale and the hair was dark and the laser works best like this. If you have dark skin it won't work as well or if you have red or fair hair it won't work so well either.
    Prior to the laser treatments I had been waxing for years but had been dealing with very bad ingrown hairs on a continual basis and no matter how I exfoliated, moisturised etc they kept coming and kept getting infected. I was worried about scarring and didn't want to shave as this wouldn't have helped with the ingrown problem. Then I heard about the laser treatments from my mother and had my SSIA come through and spent some of the money on that.

kizzyr wrote: »
    Its not cheap. For all three areas I paid €3000 or so. This covered six sessions which was enough on my bikini area and upper legs. I needed to get another 3 on my lower legs and underarms which cost €65 per session for both.
    I know this was a lot of money to spend but it has been very successful for me. The success was helped by the fact that I am very pale and the hair was dark and the laser works best like this. If you have dark skin it won't work as well or if you have red or fair hair it won't work so well either.
    Prior to the laser treatments I had been waxing for years but had been dealing with very bad ingrown hairs on a continual basis and no matter how I exfoliated, moisturised etc they kept coming and kept getting infected. I was worried about scarring and didn't want to shave as this wouldn't have helped with the ingrown problem. Then I heard about the laser treatments from my mother and had my SSIA come through and spent some of the money on that.

Wow its pretty expensive. Dundrum are offering an off peak deal (buy one set of treatments get another area free) so I hope the price will be nicer than 3k!
    I could go without the underarms if needs be, its the legs and bikini shaving & waxing that do my head in. Im also prone to ingrown hairs that get infected its a nightmare, especially down there.
    I have a light natural tan ( Im half indian) and i mentioned it when enquiring initially cuz I dont wanna spend all that money on something that will fail. She told me that they have a different laser that they use on people with darker skin and that they will decide whether I am a suitable candidate for treatment upon assessment.

If they do go ahead with treatment they offer a 2 year guarantee so if any hair grows back after the course you get any further treatments free of charge.

Wow its pretty expensive. Dundrum are offering an off peak deal (buy one set of treatments get another area free) so I hope the price will be nicer than 3k!
    I could go without the underarms if needs be, its the legs and bikini shaving & waxing that do my head in. Im also prone to ingrown hairs that get infected its a nightmare, especially down there.
    I have a light natural tan ( Im half indian) and i mentioned it when enquiring initially cuz I dont wanna spend all that money on something that will fail. She told me that they have a different laser that they use on people with darker skin and that they will decide whether I am a suitable candidate for treatment upon assessment.

If they do go ahead with treatment they offer a 2 year guarantee so if any hair grows back after the course you get any further treatments free of charge.

It is entirely possible that advances have been made in the types of laser used since I started. It is about 2 years ago that I had mine done. Ingrown hairs are a pox on womankind and its brilliant not to have to deal with them anymore so that is one massive plus you'll find after having it done. I also think the prices have come down in the 2 years as more places are offering it. I paid in bulk too so thats how I know the price and why it sounds so expensive. If you think how much you spend on waxing every 6 to 8 weeks though it doesn't take too long to add up to how much I spend on my laser.
    I'd say you will need at least 6 treatments. For the first 2 to 3 that I had, I went in every 8 weeks then as it took longer for the hairs to grow back I spaced it out further to make sure actual hairs with roots were being zapped. After your 6th treatment I'd advise leaving it all alone for 10/12 weeks or so and this will allow you to see exactly how much hair you're left with and then you'll have an idea of how many more sessions you need if any. I have a few stragglers left at this stage and go in once every 9 months or so to have them zapped but in between its all great.
    If you have any other questions please feel free to ask here or PM if you want. :)

• Advertisement

Thanks! Im relieved to hear positive feedback cuz when people hear youre spending that much money on a treatment they immediately say 'its a gimmick, it wont work, I know someone and it didnt work for her'.
    I think the guarantee is really good too, means that know matter what happens, they'll finish the job they started at no extra cost.

I was going to start waxing regularly but when i added up the cost over a year and added the fact that you have to let the hair fully grow before waxing again I was turned off. Whats the point of waxing if you have to walk around with fuzz for 3 weeks before you get your next one?

Where did you go for your treatment?

Thanks! Im relieved to hear positive feedback cuz when people hear youre spending that much money on a treatment they immediately say 'its a gimmick, it wont work, I know someone and it didnt work for her'.
    I think the guarantee is really good too, means that know matter what happens, they'll finish the job they started at no extra cost.

I was going to start waxing regularly but when i added up the cost over a year and added the fact that you have to let the hair fully grow before waxing again I was turned off. Whats the point of waxing if you have to walk around with fuzz for 3 weeks before you get your next one?

Where did you go for your treatment?

I went to Therapies on Molesworth Street. At the time I think they were the only ones that were doing it and so I didn't have much choice however now there are more options. While I am happy with the results I wouldn't be overly enthusiastic about the place itself. Some of the staff are quite rude, one girl in fact was so bad I had to complain about her and ended up getting a call from the manager who apologised profusely, three free laser treatments and €100 voucher and a guarantee that I'd never have to be treated by that particular girl again. That said some of the other girls are lovely and overall I got what I wanted and needed from them.

Advertisement