Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'm Looking To Buy A Mac Laptop.....???

Options
  • 17-04-2009 8:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭

Hi everyone,

I'm looking to buy a Mac as the title suggests. I would love to hear your opinions on what the best one is for me as this will be my first Mac.

I'm will be using my mac for Pro Tools, Final Cut Pro, Avid and Photoshop etc.

I'm wondering if someone can point me in the right direction as to which one suites my needs. I looked on the Apple site and they seem to break it down to three different types; MacBook, MacBook Pro and MacBook Air.

I'm lug around a Toshiba Satelitte p200 so I'm used to carrying around a bit of weight. That doesn't bother me. I want something that will cater for me running a few different applications at a time. Something with a decent battery life etc.

My budget stretches to about €1800

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance! :)
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

Hi everyone,

I'm looking to buy a Mac as the title suggests. I would love to hear your opinions on what the best one is for me as this will be my first Mac.

I'm will be using my mac for Pro Tools, Final Cut Pro, Avid and Photoshop etc.

I'm wondering if someone can point me in the right direction as to which one suites my needs. I looked on the Apple site and they seem to break it down to three different types; MacBook, MacBook Pro and MacBook Air.

I'm lug around a Toshiba Satelitte p200 so I'm used to carrying around a bit of weight. That doesn't bother me. I want something that will cater for me running a few different applications at a time. Something with a decent battery life etc.

My budget stretches to about €1800

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance! :)
    Definitely not the Macbook air anyway. Limited connectivity, you won't be able to plug in all of the accessories that you may need. I would be inclined to go for the top end Macbook or the bottom end Macbook Pro, they'll suit your needs perfectly. The Macbook Pro has a larger screen, you may like this for Final Cut Pro.

Remember that you'll have to buy Photoshop, Final Cut Pro, Avid etc. seperately. None of the stock Macbooks (or Pros) come with the high-end software installed.

Consider seriously going up to the Apple store in Belfast to buy it, the price comparisons are unreal:
    2.4GHz Macbook: Ireland: €1499, UK: £1125 (€1277.51)
    2.4GHz Macbook Pro: Ireland: €1799, UK: £1369 (€1554.59)

Bearing in mind that the train from Heuston to Belfast is going for €18 each way, and you can drive a lot cheaper too.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Mensch Maschine

Thank you very much for the informative reply! :) Your advice had made it much clearer to me. You also answered a question I had but forgot to ask. (about having to buy software seperately) That's not good. I'll have to spend a fortune to get it all legit. I've had pirated software but I really want to purchase this stuff for my Mac.

Well, thanks again.

Edit: Oh and sorry for posting this in here. I only saw the Laptop forum after my OP

Advertisement