Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boy Racers in Celbridge

Options
  • 17-04-2009 9:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭

Has anyone else noticed the problem with boy racers in celbridge ? Do they ever go to bed

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭easyeason3

Join the rest of the country.
    They usually meet in a car park that is about half a mile away from me but I can still hear them!!!
    Surely there is something about noise pollution?
    But I'd put up with the noise. My uncle was on his way home one night & narrowly avoided crashing into a boyracer, the boy racer pulled a doughnut thingy in front of my uncle as he came off a roundabout. Uncle was lucky he wasn't seriously injured or killed.
    But if he had got out of the car & confronted the boyracer he would have been in the wrong :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Rob67

Hello, I have to suffer these guys most nights as they use the Ardclough road as a drag-strip, after most Friday/ Saturday nights you will find the skid marks on the road from the doughnuts and wheel-spins they are fond of doing. As is usual, I let the Gardai know and sometimes you'll get a squad car making it's way up, sometimes not. It can be a bit frustrating at times:mad:. I have been tempted to get out to say something but I know that I'd be the one having my collar felt for 'road rage'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭Joe Public

If you walk up or down the approach roads any evening you will always encounter some driving by at mad speeds with roaring noises. I can't understand why the gardai just don't do a bit more speed checking as it should be very easy to build up their penalty points rather than responding only when people complain.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Blue_Wolf

ya they are everywhere, leixlip pretty bad aswell.

They should but a big tax on low profile tyres, they will think again before burning them out so quickly

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

Interestingly I wrote to all the local cllrs about 3 years ago.

Basically myself and my wife were walking along Shackleton Rd ( the road between tescos and the Clane Rd ) one evening

3 Cars roared past doing 70-80 mph obviously racing .

This road has schools , and entrances to estates etc.

I suggested that perhaps they should make delegations to the Gardai to speed trap there ...... 3 years later I have yet to see a speed trap or anything.

I am amazed at the speed of the traffic down this road ,and also the Maynooth Rd.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Davidth88 wrote: »
    I suggested that perhaps they should make delegations to the Gardai to speed trap there ...... 3 years later I have yet to see a speed trap or anything.
    Get speed ramps. Look at the amount of speed ramps in Castletown House, compared to the lack of boy racers. Lowered cars don't like speed bumps all that much. There's afew straights around Leixlip that have gotten speed ramps put down. A sudden lack of boy racers in lowered cars happen.

the_syco wrote: »
    Get speed ramps. Look at the amount of speed ramps in Castletown House, compared to the lack of boy racers. Lowered cars don't like speed bumps all that much. There's afew straights around Leixlip that have gotten speed ramps put down. A sudden lack of boy racers in lowered cars happen.

KCC have plans for ramps on the Clane Rd and the Maynooth Rd but no mention of ramps for the Shackleton Rd.

This week a speed display unit appeared on The Shackleton Rd and looked nice and clear when displaying car speeds but now it's gone so dim you can hardly make it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭kildarecommuter

Joe Public wrote: »
    KCC have plans for ramps on the Clane Rd and the Maynooth Rd but no mention of ramps for the Shackleton Rd.

This week a speed display unit appeared on The Shackleton Rd and looked nice and clear when displaying car speeds but now it's gone so dim you can hardly make it out.

I actually thought it was broken this eve must be very dim. Spoke to the guards recently about them skidding about at Esso station. Basically they said ring and report them and they will call up if squad car available but resources are limited

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

I have a hatred for speed ramps to be honest.

I think speed ramps on through routes that are used by amongst other things buses are not really the way ahead.

Perhaps speed cameras would be a better way ( can't believe I am typing that!)

The Shackleton Rd is terrible for speeding , yesterday the Gardai were trapping around 4pm up at the Guinness family residence just past the Girls school on the Clane Road. But as usual they were hidden , not a high vis presence .

They need to be clocking around the bend leading to Tesco's from Old Town Mill once a week / month in a high vis way.

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭mach1982

I have theory about boy raves with large exhaust, I think they are compensating for some thing ........

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭The Raven.

Davidth88 wrote: »
    I have a hatred for speed ramps to be honest.

I think speed ramps on through routes that are used by amongst other things buses are not really the way ahead.

Perhaps speed cameras would be a better way ( can't believe I am typing that!)

I couldn't agree more. I have a hatred for them too. They are the typical lazy, nanny state, punish-all answer to anti-social behaviour. They are a pain in the neck for all drivers, but especially for buses, trucks, ambulances, fire brigades, and police cars.

I know the speed cameras are a bit Orwellian, but at least they provide the means to punish the culprits, instead of the whole of society.

Ramps require drivers to reduce speed down to about 20 km, if you don't want to damage your vehicle. This includes areas where the speed limit varies from 30 (housing estates) to 50 (urban areas). I have stopped using the Strawberry Beds route since they put in about 28 ramps. I seem to remember the speed limit there used to be 60 km, but that may have changed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Alz®

mach1982 wrote: »
    I have theory about boy raves with large exhaust, I think they are compensating for some thing ........

I have a 4" exhaust on my car and never had any complaints so if i think what you are incinuating you should look a little closer to home, you obviously have little to worry if you have theorys about what what other people do with there money :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭kildarecommuter

Alz® wrote: »
    I have a 4" exhaust on my car and never had any complaints so if i think what you are incinuating you should look a little closer to home, you obviously have little to worry if you have theorys about what what other people do with there money :rolleyes:

I dont care what size your exhaust is or anyone elses all that annoys me is F*ckwits who speed dangerously on roads and pull handbrake turns doughnuts etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

What I dont understand is why the guards dont just start pulling these guys over and taking a look at what they have on the car. Most of these boy racers are not insured to have the car as modified as they are, and if the guards started charging these guys for driving without insurance (which they effectively are) and punishing them accordingly, this might improve things.

Personally I dont really mind people driving modified cars with big exhausts or whatever, so long as they drive them sensibly and do not annoy people. I wouldnt get away with doing donuts in the middle of a shopping center car park, Id be pulled straight away, so I dont see why its any different for these little dickheads. And the ones who fly around the roads at 80mph+, overtaking on bends and what not, why are they not being pulled for dangerous driving.

For me the blame lies squarely on the shoulders of the Gardai for this problem; the laws are there to prosecute these clowns, theyre just not being enforced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 pyro940

Just to add to this, I have noticed over the last couple of weeks the Gardai have mounted speed traps around the area (one at the entrance to the GAA club in the evenings to catch inbound traffic and, ironical, one in the mornings at the entrance to the old garden centre outbound just down from the Esso station on the Clane road).

Given that the Esso Station seems to be a staging area for the boy (and girl) racers of the area I feel the speed traps are a definite “soft target” practice.

We get week after week high profile road safety campaigns, in particular at bank holidays, but as I see the blatant disregard for road safety of the boy racers and the lack of response of the Gardai to this and all the other antisocial behaviour in the area I really just lose all faith.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,700 ✭✭✭✭holly1

I bet if you or I put a foot out of place there would be a guard pulling us up very quickly.Its easy to loose faith in the law,when you see the way these gits drive and getaway with it time after time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭Alz®

djimi wrote: »
    What I dont understand is why the guards dont just start pulling these guys over and taking a look at what they have on the car. Most of these boy racers are not insured to have the car as modified as they are, and if the guards started charging these guys for driving without insurance (which they effectively are) and punishing them accordingly, this might improve things.

Personally I dont really mind people driving modified cars with big exhausts or whatever, so long as they drive them sensibly and do not annoy people. I wouldnt get away with doing donuts in the middle of a shopping center car park, Id be pulled straight away, so I dont see why its any different for these little dickheads. And the ones who fly around the roads at 80mph+, overtaking on bends and what not, why are they not being pulled for dangerous driving.

For me the blame lies squarely on the shoulders of the Gardai for this problem; the laws are there to prosecute these clowns, theyre just not being enforced.

I could argue the point and say about the drink drivers/scumbags on the road you cant tar everyone with the one brush!!

I for one aint a boy racer, im 24 drive a Honda Civic Tax/NCT/Insurance all up to date.. yes my car is modified from standard but has no tacky bits added but i've nothing to declare to my insurance to make my car faster if anythings its slower since i put the alloys on the car because there bigger than the steel wheels they were with the car, its a hobby to me and i'd rather put money into my car than go the pub with my mates and piss my money down the toilet the same nite..

Folks you havta remember there good/bad/indifferent in everyone and this country is too quick to slate people because of what they see!!!

Yes these group of people doing hand brake turns and whatever else there doing shouldnt be allowed but if its a empty car park and no people in danger i dont see the problem, if they were doing it on a main road stop them etc but dont tar us all with the one brush..

my 2 cent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 I do not accept that

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 919 ✭✭✭wicklowstevo

its not quite that simple im afraid , lots of the boyracers out there are like the previous poster, they rather have a nice car than drink the money , however there are also a lot of tools out there , driving while drunk druged or just stupid , if the gardai make an effort to go out an get them the are accused of harrasing these nice young men, a lot of money was pushed into traffic police in the last five years however the problem lies in the justice system, guy gets stopped for being a tool in his uninsured car, arrested and blood tested for drink and drugs ,comes back with cannabis , and he is brough to court, judge my client didnt know he was uninsured because he didnt get the letter saying he had 12 penalty points , as for the drugs how can the garda prove thats what effects his driving, , fact ongoing judical review case , result the tool is allowed to drive around for 5 years till its heard then gets off on the justice delayed /justice denied ruleing

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭dave45dave

Alz® wrote: »
    I could argue the point and say about the drink drivers/scumbags on the road you cant tar everyone with the one brush!!

I for one aint a boy racer, im 24 drive a Honda Civic Tax/NCT/Insurance all up to date.. yes my car is modified from standard but has no tacky bits added but i've nothing to declare to my insurance to make my car faster if anythings its slower since i put the alloys on the car because there bigger than the steel wheels they were with the car, its a hobby to me and i'd rather put money into my car than go the pub with my mates and piss my money down the toilet the same nite..

Folks you havta remember there good/bad/indifferent in everyone and this country is too quick to slate people because of what they see!!!

Yes these group of people doing hand brake turns and whatever else there doing shouldnt be allowed but if its a empty car park and no people in danger i dont see the problem, if they were doing it on a main road stop them etc but dont tar us all with the one brush..

my 2 cent

Your reply was going great and i agreed with you , but you made a gobsh1te of yourself saying it was ok to do in an empty carpark.

Thats my 2 cent

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

Front page headlines in this week's Liffey Champion about a burnt out car in the Abbey estate in Celbridge....thugs just got petrol and set it alight....suppose there will be thuggery everywhere you go but these incidents are becoming more and more common in Celbridge

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Pretty sure most 'boy racers' went with the celtic tiger and jobs on building sites...

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Gregsor

Cicero wrote: »
    Front page headlines in this week's Liffey Champion about a burnt out car in the Abbey estate in Celbridge....thugs just got petrol and set it alight....suppose there will be thuggery everywhere you go but these incidents are becoming more and more common in Celbridge

Nothing to do with Boy Racers at all but just another reason not to live in Celbridge,but i do like the place personally.

I do think the recession has had an effect on the souped up small car variation on our roads which just leads us to deal with annoying van drivers and TDI German car wanna be race car Schumachers.

Seriously i and the other halve come back on an average day with more complaints about suppossed qualified and capable drivers than the so called boyracers,stereotyping will never cease here.

We all know that there are some terrible drivers out there and maybe they are just short of revving there diesels at 2am in the morning to get attention because in my mind thats all they are missing the poor souls,tut tut!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

If you see anyone driving dangerous in a built up area the Garda will respond if you give them an accurate description and a reg number.
    If two or three residents give a report on the same car, it would be strong enough to take said car to court.

Keep reporting it. day and night.

If the Garda give them enough summons they will move somewhere else(unless they are completely brain dead).

No need for driving like that at all. Dont we have the best race circuit in Ireland with regular trackdays!! They really need to take there bad habits to mondello and learn how to drive correctly ..

Cicero wrote: »

The paper also says it was a feud between travellers and they burnt out two vehicles belonged to the people they were feuding with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭s3129

dave45dave wrote: »
    Your reply was going great and i agreed with you , but you made a gobsh1te of yourself saying it was ok to do in an empty carpark.

Thats my 2 cent

Its going to happen one way or another, its what some people are in to .. Wouldn't you prefer to see it in an empty car park than out on the road!?

Everyones tarred with the same brush. Its a boring topic because its always the same. Its not going to stop, the guards cannot wipe it out completely. Its like lads who watch hurling, they go out an practice and aspire to be like the lads they see on tv.. Drifting and motorsport have come along way in this country and lads are interested in it and they go out and try it for themselves.

And please stop this term 'drag racing' .. Not every two modified cars going down a road are drag racing. Young lads don't use that term at all, and few are into racing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

s3129 wrote: »
    Its going to happen one way or another, its what some people are in to .. Wouldn't you prefer to see it in an empty car park than out on the road!?

That the problem. People should do it away from public sight and sound. If you are handbraking a car in a public place in a town then these morons deserve to lose there licence. There are people around and its dangerous.
    Everyones tarred with the same brush. Its a boring topic because its always the same. Its not going to stop, the guards cannot wipe it out completely.
    If one is banned from driving then I very much doubt he will be doing on a public place again.
    Its like lads who watch hurling, they go out an practice and aspire to be like the lads they see on tv.. Drifting and motorsport have come along way in this country and lads are interested in it and they go out and try it for themselves.
    Its not at all like hurling. Hurling does not evolve throwing a large car out of control in a public car park. This is a crazy comparison. As you well know . there is a drifting practice day in mondello every month. There is no excuse for childish boys to be upsetting residents in there homes. There is also a vast country side all around us in Kildare. All this space and these lads decide to practice in towns. No one would care if these numb nuts took it into the hills.
    Im all for practicing as long as its done in a responsible manner. These guys are their own worse enemy. Making a enemy of a Garda or any resident when one does not have to is down right retarded.

T

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭s3129

gsxr1 wrote: »
    That the problem. People should do it away from public sight and sound. If you are handbraking a car in a public place in a town then these morons deserve to lose there licence. There are people around and its dangerous.

If one is banned from driving then I very much doubt he will be doing on a public place again.

Its not at all like hurling. Hurling does not evolve throwing a large car out of control in a public car park. This is a crazy comparison. As you well know . there is a drifting practice day in mondello every month. There is no excuse for childish boys to be upsetting residents in there homes. There is also a vast country side all around us in Kildare. All this space and these lads decide to practice in towns. No one would care if these numb nuts took it into the hills.
    Im all for practicing as long as its done in a responsible manner. These guys are their own worse enemy. Making a enemy of a Garda or any resident when one does not have to is down right retarded.

T

dont be silly.. when i compared it to hurling i didnt mean the lads are pucking balls around while they are pulling handbrakes.. i meant it as its a hobby and they see others doing it, take an interest in it, and go out an do it themselves..

And I know plenty of lads who have been banned and either continue to drive regardless or get straight back into a car and go messing once they are back on the road. I just think like other things, its never going to be stopped.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭maguffin

Not only should they be banned...their cars should be confiscated and impounded. If they want them back they should have to pay a VERY large sum of money.

If they are repeat offenders, then they should permanantly loose their 'precious' cars.

They're idiots, and I've seen this proved time and time again by some of their illegal antics on public roads.

They are as much a problem in rural areas as they are in towns.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Stealthirl

maguffin wrote: »

They're idiots, and I've seen this proved time and time again by some of their illegal antics on public roads.

the school runners in the SUV,the businessman in his exec type car,the L drive and meny more of the ordinary joe sope are just as bad

everyone just notices a car with a loud exhaust more :rolleyes:

Advertisement