Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New machine wont boot :-(

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭scargill

are the memory chips seated correctly?

can you take two out and just try to boot with one memory chip in ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

scargill wrote: »
    are the memory chips seated correctly?

can you take two out and just try to boot with one memory chip in ?

Small update as i have been trying a few things.

Tried 1 stick and i get the same single long beep.
    Tried with 1 stick and no gpu and get the same beep.

Just because.. i tried with NO ram in and get the same long beep.

That made me thing the board might have a prob, i double checked the boards power.

Has the usual long connector which is plugged in fine.
    Over neer the processor there is another connector on the board which is 4 wide and 2 high.

I dont have a power connector coming from the psu to go into that, the only spare is a small square connector 2x2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭gino85

goodlad wrote: »

That made me thing the board might have a prob, i double checked the boards power.

Over neer the processor there is another connector on the board which is 4 wide and 2 high.

i had the same problem and found out i left that connection empty took me awhile to figure it out(first build) but after u connected the psu to it it worked fine

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭darealtulip

gino85 wrote: »
    i had the same problem and found out i left that connection empty took me awhile to figure it out(first build) but after u connected the psu to it it worked fine

+1 did the same

• Closed Accounts Posts: 852 ✭✭✭blackgold>>

Q:What do the beeps emitted during the POST mean?
    A: The following Award BIOS beep code descriptions may help you identify
    (For reference only.)
    1 short: System boots successfully
    2 short: CMOS setting error
    1 long, 1 short: Memory or motherboard error
    1 long, 2 short: Monitor or graphics card error
    1 long, 3 short: Keyboard error
    1 long, 9 short: BIOS ROM error
    Continuous long beeps: Graphics card not inserted properly
    Continuous short beeps: Power error

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 davidhughes

goodlad wrote: »
    Small update as i have been trying a few things.

Tried 1 stick and i get the same single long beep.
    Tried with 1 stick and no gpu and get the same beep.

Just because.. i tried with NO ram in and get the same long beep.

I dont have a power connector coming from the psu to go into that, the only spare is a small square connector 2x2

try using one of the gpu power adapters they are 4 x 2 i think plug them into spare power leads usually the ones you power fans or hdd drives with and that should sort it out for you otherwise you might need to upgrade your power supply as without that pluged in the machine will not boot also remove all the leads but the power lead from the board such as hdd led/pled/reset switch its possible they are in the wrong order and you dont need any of them except the power switch to boot machine

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

goodlad wrote:

The reason its not working is because you have no supplemental power for the CPU, and many modern mobos can't derive their CPU power from the main connector, so you've left the PC brain-dead :o

That little square thing on the PSU is the 4-pin ATX12V connector. And that socket on the mobo that looks like two of those squares pushed together is the 8-pin EPS12V connector - the newer version of the ATX12V plug. If your PSU is good enough there is still hope - the mobo will usually play ball if you connect the ATX12V plug into the larger socket, leaving it half-empty.

You need to work out which way the ATX12V plug will fit in the EPS socket (usually in the top half of the socket with the catch facing the same side as the little tab on the socket). The pins are partially tabbed so there aren't many ways to fit the connector on so don't force it too hard in case you haven't matched the pins up correctly. Try that and see if the machine boots.

If the mobo has been designed to only work with all eight pins connected to the PSU you'll have to buy a 4- to 8-pin ATX12V converter - a jury-rigged way around things. But you may also have issues with power if the PSU is too old or weak so you might want to give us the details of the PSU and your new build (to be fair only a really insanely powerful CPU needs the extra conductors the EPS12V plug gives).

Oh, and whatever happens, do NOT try to stick an 8-pin PCIe connector into the EPS12V socket. If it IS physically possible (the pins are keyed diffferently IIRC) you'll be having teh fireballs. Fail.

Advertisement