Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What length are long term relationships

Options
  • 17-04-2009 10:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭Orla K

Looking at the relationship issues forum I've seen posts by people saying they are in a long term relationship for x months. To me it has to be over a year to be long term, I don't think this because I've been going out with someone for years, I've actually been single for years and if anything lasted even a week would be longer than anything in the past 4/5 years but I still think it needs to last at least a year to be a long term relationship.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 red-demon

It depends on the individuals definition.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I've been in a relationship for 8 months now, and I'd describe it as 'serious' but not long-term. I think after a year I'd start to describe it as long-term.

That said, it's by far my longest relationship to date, so it's hard not to get a little over-enthusiastic about describing it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Salome

I think anything over a year that you consider to be serious and exclusive is longterm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭mollybird

when i first read the title i would of said over a year but now i would have to say nearer hitting two years for it to be long term. the last two serious relationships i had were just the year and a half and never saw them as long term. as this one now where we are together 2 and half years is def long term.

I think it depends a lot on age and experience too. At 22 in an 8 month relationship, it feels long-term to me. To a 40 year old who was married for 15 years, 8 months is merely a drop in the ocean. Likewise, if you've had a series of long-term relationships, it probably moves the bar higher for a cut off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

So then, what's "serious"? is it pretty much the same as exclusive?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Piste wrote: »
    Dont think so .

Exclusive is like 'special ' .

Serious is you aint going anywere for a while . ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

My taking on 'Exclusive' would be that you won't be seeing anyone else.. But then again, any relationship where someone is your girl/boyfriend should be exclusive.

My longest relationship was 2 and a half years, I'm with my current gf 7 months, madly in love and it's very serious (we're moving in together in 3 months :D:D) it's not long term, hopefully it will be someday ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

True I think it's down to individuals perspectives.
    My longest was 6months and whilst I wouldn't say longterm, I would have said things were semi serious. In the sense that whilst 6months might not be long for some people, I think how things progress within that time also come into the equation. If things go really slow or they go fast or you just become very close quite quickly etc.

Piste wrote: »

To me, exclusive is just that you're not seeing other people too.

Serious is when you can see them in your future, you factor them in to medium -to long-term plans and you're not going to break up over something small.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

That's very good definition of serious actually! When people ask me if me and my boyfriend are "serious" I usually look puzzled and say "well what do you mean?" and they usually go "em...I'm not sure actually!". It seems like the kind of thing people say without really thinking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭MJOR

I think branding a relationship as anything is wrong. Two hearts with the same goal i think makes a relationship.....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

That's mad, I would think anything over 2 years would be a long term relationship. And I'm only 20.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭lynsalot

I got engaged after 3 months and we got married just a year later. We're married almost 2 years. So we were long term at 3 months lol

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Erm, for some reason I'd say 3 years + is a "long term relationship". I don't quite know why I'd put that time frame on it, but I would.

Then again, I've seen people have more fiery, passionate, intense relationships in 18 months than I managed in four years.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭fonpokno

Faith wrote: »
    I've been in a relationship for 8 months now, and I'd describe it as 'serious' but not long-term. I think after a year I'd start to describe it as long-term.

That said, it's by far my longest relationship to date, so it's hard not to get a little over-enthusiastic about describing it!

Same here. I'm in a relationship now almost 10 months and it's the longest one I've had. I'd definitely call it serious but I reckon long term starts at a year too. I don't know why, it just seems like a year of your life with someone is long enough to consider it a long time.... or something...

And I'm only 19 (20 in 3 weeks) so that might have something to do with my view also.

• I'd say over a year is long term. I've definitely been in a 'serious' relationship after 2-3 months, though. Other people scoffed at the idea, but that relationship was as serious after a few months as it was after a couple of years. People we met had no idea we'd only been together for a few months, they said it seemed like years. I don't believe being with someone for only a short time makes it any less 'real' or serious. I ended up going out with that guy for 2 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 dreamer2009

I'm 22 and seeing my boyfriend for nearly five years. Being honest I only think Its serious when you hit problems&ye work through them rather than walking away. I know for us i called it the honeymoon period for about 18months and then after that I would have termed us a little more serious :)..but depends on the couple!! I have a friend who is currently celebrating each month of her relationship as their anniversary..they are on their third and she is talking marriage and kids :)

Advertisement