Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are Nigerians really that bad

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭maninasia

I think you might find its b and b or hostel emergency accomodation which they also pay for homeless people or people on the counsel waiting list.

Why are you being so begrudging you do realise that you were just born here by the grace of god? If you lived in a country like that what would you do?

You are either a genuine and qualifying asylum seeker or not. We don't have room for the billions of poor people worldwide because you feel 'bad' for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

Personally the issues I have with some Nigerians are directly related to how their society seems to work at home, i.e. very corrupt at all levels. I had another African guy say to me once, "****ing Nigerians, one hand on the bible the other hand on your wallet". I laughed as I did see his point. I hate dishonesty and imported dishonesty is worse again somehow.

My good friend did refugee application translations for another race we seem to love in this country and he told me point blank that 80-90% of it was made up. He be sacked if he said that publicly and rightly so but privately he was disgusted.

If people meet the criteria for staying then they should be allowed to stay. If they don't meet the criteria then they should have to go. But the process should be done quickly and fairly. Committing any serious crime while here should mean an automatic sending off home.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭lmtduffy

maninasia wrote: »
    You are either a genuine and qualifying asylum seeker or not. We don't have room for the billions of poor people worldwide because you feel 'bad' for them.

any one applying for asylum is a genuine and qualified asylum seeker,

and no there are not billions of poor people trying to get here.

Papad wrote: »

Also from the Independent:
    Fingerprint checks on a European-wide system have revealed that more than one in 10 asylum seekers in Ireland has already claimed refugee status elsewhere in the EU. Staff from the Office of the Refugee Applications Commissioner (Orac) have tightened their scrutiny of asylum claims and are looking for tell-tale signs from application forms that the would-be refugees have already tried elsewhere.

they are allowed to apply for asylum else where if they want,

no because hes Nigerian isn't worth putting in caps, I dont give people more credit for being born some where.
    An overview of the asylum seeker situation estimated that 90 per cent of claims are bogus:
    http://www.independent.ie/national-news/false-claims-help-bill-for-asylum-seekers-to-hit-8364300m-1366632.html

and what percent are Nigerian?(or are you just speaking out against all asylum seekers)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭cabinteelytom

lmtduffy wrote: »
    and no there are not billions of poor people trying to get here.

Well, actually there could be.
    Everyone of the 1300 million people in the People's Republic of China would be 'better off' here. China has no unemployment benefit and no old-age pension.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭cabinteelytom

Papad wrote: »
    Also from the Independent:
    Fingerprint checks on a European-wide system have revealed that more than one in 10 asylum seekers in Ireland has already claimed refugee status elsewhere in the EU.

The Eurodac figures for the most recent available year (2007) have been available since 25-1-09.
    15.7 % of asylum applications in Ireland that year (764 out of 3284) had made a previous application in another European state.(Asylum shopping).
    The European Commission calls this an 'abuse of asylum procedures in the form of multiple applications for asylum submitted simultaneously or successively by the same person in several Member States'. Yes, 'abuse' is the word.
    (See http://europa.eu>rapid>press releases>3-12-08 and http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=IOM:2009:0013:FIN:EN:DOC )

Ireland's participation in Eurodac (a central EU fingerprint database) has been
    shamefully foot-dragging. Since it was founded in 2003, Ireland had made no submissions of data from 'aliens found illegally on the territory of a Member State' (the only member state to have so behaved) although a Europol report in 2008 described us as a 'very attractive destination for illegal migrants and the criminal gangs who traffic them'; so it would seem there are plenty out there to be discovered. By this inaction the Republic of Ireland has disadvantaged our own society (fostered crime, the black economy and prostitution), and let down it's European partners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭elshambo

I feel sorry for the OP having to read this thread:o

:o to be from the same country as some of ye!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,418 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

elshambo wrote: »
    I feel sorry for the OP having to read this thread:o

:o to be from the same country as some of ye!

I'll assume you are not a taxpayer either?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭elshambo

silverharp wrote: »
    I'll assume you are not a taxpayer either?

Stay classy!

Well, actually there could be.
    Everyone of the 1300 million people in the People's Republic of China would be 'better off' here. China has no unemployment benefit and no old-age pension.

I didn't say there couldn't be, I said there isn't and its important ot distinguish between fact and speculation when were talking about how our country manages immigration.

And given the choice do you really think all those people in china would prefer to immigrate, surely your familiar with how much of our culture revolves around the sadness and despair of the Irish having to immigrate.

Well the exact same thing happens in every other country when some one is forced to do that. Its not n easy matter and due to the data that is there(I agree it isn't 100% and that people can lie) the majority of these people leave their country on short notice, with little planning and that the welfare systems of other states don't come into it.

• Advertisement

The Eurodac figures for the most recent available year (2007) have been available since 25-1-09.
    15.7 % of asylum applications in Ireland that year (764 out of 3284) had made a previous application in another European state.(Asylum shopping).
    The European Commission calls this an 'abuse of asylum procedures in the form of multiple applications for asylum submitted simultaneously or successively by the same person in several Member States'. Yes, 'abuse' is the word.
    (See http://europa.eu>rapid>press releases>3-12-08 and http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=IOM:2009:0013:FIN:EN:DOC )

Ireland's participation in Eurodac (a central EU fingerprint database) has been
    shamefully foot-dragging. Since it was founded in 2003, Ireland had made no submissions of data from 'aliens found illegally on the territory of a Member State' (the only member state to have so behaved) although a Europol report in 2008 described us as a 'very attractive destination for illegal migrants and the criminal gangs who traffic them'; so it would seem there are plenty out there to be discovered. By this inaction the Republic of Ireland has disadvantaged our own society (fostered crime, the black economy and prostitution), and let down it's European partners.

Ireland has made a complete rats ass of the asylum system when it comes to the process itself and what happens after, and it often works out worse for those of us who were "here first"and those who are trying to get in.

But I disagree that multiple applications is abuse, if your going to be spending up to 5 years in a hostel on €19.10 a week with out being allowed to work I think, yes you should pursue all options, and you should not be stigmatised because of this.

And wouldn't the fact they they are applying to numerous countries push the idea that they just dont want to be in their country of origin rather than them trying to get here to the glory of the aforementioned €19.10 a week?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Everyone of the 1300 million people in the People's Republic of China would be 'better off' here.
    Congratulations - that has to be the single most ridiculous generalisation I have read on boards.ie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 elvisisgod

lmtduffy wrote: »
    so its the responsibility of Nigerians to police other Nigerians if they expect to be treated fairly?
    there are some very respectable Nigerians and some very educated people can we get rid of the losers with the help of the Nigerian community

elvisisgod wrote: »
    there are some very respectable Nigerians and some very educated people can we get rid of the losers with the help of the Nigerian community

They probably know as much about each other as we do about them, you know Nigeria is big.

Why do we need to have a special system for finding Nigerian criminals?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Keoghsie

for the original question;are Nigerians really that bad. Some of them are, but you can't judge an entire nation. The facts are, there was over 16,000 Nigerians living in Ireland in 2006, of which only 38% where legally working. They are know for steeling money, and for being untrustworthy. I really don't think people have the right to say that they are awful people unless you've got a good reason. Personally I think Nigerian people are nice, and I have good reason to HATE them, I went out with A Nigerian guy myself for 2 years, and he stole my money via my bank account. He waited till I was sleeping a robbed my bank details and credit card number, etc. stole small amounts at a time, knowing that I was a bit ditzy with money, he thought Id never find out. but I did find out eventually so He broke my Jaw and My nose. left me with 2 black eyes and I now have a metal pallet. I went to give my statement to the Garda, and they told be there was hundreds of Nigerians doing it. I can never trust another Nigerian. I will be friendly to them, but I would never allow them into my life again.
    Not all Nigerians are like this guy, and I understand that this could of happened a man from anywhere. But it was a Nigerian guy, and he, in my eyes has given Nigerians a bad name.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭BryanL

The bare facts show that the vast majority of Nigerians in Ireland are making or have made false claims to gain entry.
    I don't agree with anyone trying to screw the system, doesn't matter to me if they are Irish or not.
    Bryan

BryanL wrote: »
    The bare facts show that the vast majority of Nigerians in Ireland are making or have made false claims to gain entry.
    Which "facts" are these?

more than 99% of Nigerians looking for asylum in Ireland fail in thier application.
    This is because there is no basis for their applications.
    I'm also unaware of Nigeria's sporting successes on the world stage. Ireland has managed more than a few despite a tiny population.
    Bryan

more than 99% of Nigerians looking for asylum in Ireland fail in thier application.
    As of 2005, there were 589 recognised refugees of Nigerian origin in Ireland (according to UNHCR). If more than 99% of Nigerian applicants were unsuccessful with their applications, that would mean that, as of 2005, Ireland would have had to have received at least 58,900 asylum applications from Nigerian nationals, which was not the case.

But anyway, you said that “The bare facts show that the vast majority of Nigerians in Ireland are making or have made false claims to gain entry”. I’m particularly interested in the part I’ve highlighted in bold. You are saying that the vast majority of Nigerians legally resident in Ireland (i.e. refugees and immigrants) are here under false pretences and/or illegally?
    I'm also unaware of Nigeria's sporting successes on the world stage.
    Em, ok :confused:. I have no idea what that has to do with anything.

SUNDAY, 10 AUGUST 2008

Nigerian embassy in Dublin says that the vast majority of asylum seekers from Nigeria are "economic migrants"
    From the Sunday Tribune:
    Exposed: The myth of Ireland's liberal asylum policy
    August 10, 2008
    Ken Foxe

Just 0.01% of Nigerians granted asylum in the past two years

Of 1,513 applications from Nigeria in the past 18 months, fewer than 18 have been successful.

The Nigerian embassy in Dublin said the figures were unsurprising, as the vast majority of asylum seekers from their country were in fact "economic migrants".

A spokesman said: "This low success rate is to be expected precisely because our country is not on any UN danger list. It is not a conflict zone; there are no disturbances within the country. [Same as I said previously.-HG] We are running a democratic country"....

• Advertisement

Once again, you said that “The bare facts show that the vast majority of Nigerians in Ireland are making or have made false claims to gain entry”. I’m particularly interested in the part I’ve highlighted in bold. You are saying that the vast majority of Nigerians legally resident in Ireland (i.e. refugees and immigrants) are here under false pretences and/or illegally?

1)Dermot Aherne said 90% of asylum applications are bogus so yes have made false claims to gain entry
    Just 0.01% of Nigerians granted asylum in the past two years
    2)The Nigerian embassy in Dublin said the figures were unsurprising, as the vast majority of asylum seekers from their country were in fact "economic migrants"
    3)From the Nigerian OP
    I literarily refrain myself from laughing out loud during the interviews because I know that almost 99.99999% ( do the maths) of the claims are absolutely false and mostly laughable

Quoting you "You are saying that the vast majority of Nigerians legally resident in Ireland (i.e. refugees and immigrants) are here under false pretences and/or illegally"

Yes I am,so is the Minister, so is the OP who's Nigerian, so is the Nigerian embassy, so do the numbers

1)Dermot Aherne said 90% of asylum applications are bogus so yes have made false claims to gain entry
    But I’m not talking about failed asylum seekers. I’m talking about successful asylum applicants (i.e. recognised refugees) and immigrants. You have evidence that they have made “false claims” to gain entry into this country?

the evidence comes from your numbers:eek:

if 589 is higher than 0.01% which is the percentage of claims that are not false or bogus, then we have people living here legally because of bogus claims.:eek:

you don't need to be successful in your claim to gain entry.
    you don't need to be successful to stay in the country even.

Pamela Izevbekhai, is in Ireland legally, you think her claims aren't bogus ???
    the OP does
    But you don't want to talk about the failed asylum seekers, the 99.99% of Nigerian applicants do you????????????

Bryan

if 589 is higher than 0.01% which is the percentage of claims that are not false or bogus, then we have people living here legally because of bogus claims.
    The 0.01% figure that you cite is taken from this article dated August 10th, 2008. The author states that “of 1,513 applications from Nigeria in the past 18 months, fewer than 18 have been successful” (although it's not stated whether all 1,513 applications were processed in that time). The figure I gave (589) was the total number of Nigerians recognised as refugees in Ireland as of December 2005 – I have no idea why you’re trying to relate the two.
    you don't need to be successful in your claim to gain entry.
    you don't need to be successful to stay in the country even.
    You need to be successful in order to reside here legally.

So I’ll ask again – how many Nigerian nationals, who are legally resident in Ireland, have made “false claims to gain entry”?

the Nigerian embassy, the Minister, the Op all agree with a figure of 99+% of bogus/false claims by Nigerian applicants.
    Can you show that to be untrue?

Pamela Izevbekhai, has not been successful in her application but is living here legally.
    So you don't have to be successful to live in Ireland legally, as you well know.
    Bryan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭Papad

the Nigerian embassy, the Minister, the Op all agree with a figure of 99+% of bogus/false claims by Nigerian applicants.

Pamela Izevbekhai, has not been successful in her application but is living here legally.
    So you don't have to be successful to live in Ireland legally, as you well know.
    Bryan

Forget about it Bryan. Irrespective of what proof you bring to the table, there will always be apologists who deny the seriousness of the asylum fraud perpetrated by the vast majority of Nigerians in Ireland. Their modus operandi is usually the same in these types of threads though: show irrefutable proof ........ and then the thread goes in circles and finally gets locked, which is mission accomplished for them.

The Nigerian embassy are hardly going to admit that Nigeria is a ****hole, are they? The OP is an anonymous poster on an internet forum. As for the Minister, I’ll have to ask you to produce a source for that quote, if you don’t mind.

As for the exact percentage of successful asylum applicants from Nigeria, it’s not relevant to the question I asked, because, once again (read this slowly now) I’m not referring to either asylum seekers or failed asylum seekers. I am referring to successful asylum seekers (i.e. refugees) and immigrants. Now, I’ll ask again; how many Nigerian refugees and immigrants currently resident in Ireland have made “false claims” to gain entry into this country?
    Possibly because (as far as I am aware) she has appealed her unsuccessful application? If her appeal is unsuccessful, she will be deported.

But, once again, I’m not talking about asylum seekers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭donkey balls

can someone explain this to me you leave your country for fear of your life come to ireland claim aslyum.

once you have permisission to stay you start going back to the country you came from for holidays.

why would someone who is getting away from there homeland due to fear of being killed/atacked go back on holiday when at a time there fello countrymen are coming to ireland claiming aslyum.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Affable

Keoghsie wrote: »
    for the original question;are Nigerians really that bad. Some of them are, but you can't judge an entire nation. The facts are, there was over 16,000 Nigerians living in Ireland in 2006, of which only 38% where legally working. They are know for steeling money, and for being untrustworthy. I really don't think people have the right to say that they are awful people unless you've got a good reason. Personally I think Nigerian people are nice, and I have good reason to HATE them, I went out with A Nigerian guy myself for 2 years, and he stole my money via my bank account. He waited till I was sleeping a robbed my bank details and credit card number, etc. stole small amounts at a time, knowing that I was a bit ditzy with money, he thought Id never find out. but I did find out eventually so He broke my Jaw and My nose. left me with 2 black eyes and I now have a metal pallet. I went to give my statement to the Garda, and they told be there was hundreds of Nigerians doing it. I can never trust another Nigerian. I will be friendly to them, but I would never allow them into my life again.
    Not all Nigerians are like this guy, and I understand that this could of happened a man from anywhere. But it was a Nigerian guy, and he, in my eyes has given Nigerians a bad name.

Did he get punished, ro did they give you any indication of who did?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement